Does a 6800 GT need ramsinks?

Joined
Oct 2, 2003
Messages
2,173
I just finished making an adapter for my d-tek waterblock to fit on my new 6800 gt. Unfortunately, the ram is now not cooled by ramsinks.

Do they need to be cooled? Do ramsinks actually make a difference when overclocking on this card?

Maybe I can just chop up this small old aluminum heatsink if I need to. Unforunately all i have is a metal hacksaw (a bit pita).

Thanks.
 
It has been said that ram heatsinks do virtually nothing, but if it makes you sleep better at night, they are pretty cheap...
 
I bought some copper video memory ram sinks and put them on my 6800gt when i put my mcw50 on there.
at my current overclock (435/1145), the ram sinks are quite a bit above ambient, so i'm glad i put them on. i'd definitely put something on them.
i also have a little airflow blowin over them to help get rid of some of that heat.
 
erm, I dont want to buy stupid copper ramsinks. Aluminum ones would work decently, right? I can easily chop up this heatsink for free, lol.
 
Back
Top