Documentation

Metraon

Limp Gawd
Do you guys keep documentation in your business or do you guys give basic documentation when you consult ? How much importance do you give to documentation ?

Are you using Wiki's ? Word, Excell, PDF documents ? XML files ? software like Docbooks ?

I try to give at least a word document with pictures of the topology, hardware brand and models, serial numbers. Then I moved to XML documents and Docbooks because I get rid of the binary format and it can be backed up on a subversion system but I realised that for 70% of my clients just throw it away and never look at it.

Last edited:
Personally, I like to give the client as much information as I can. That way down the road when they have for instance a security system install, or leased printer, the person/people doing the install don't waste their time looking for this info. It also keeps the random "I need this password" calls to a minimum. It's also an excellent trust building tool. I tell my clients rather than keep their information a secret and bill them for it, that I would rather they openly have it and utilize it. I find that quite a few clients feel better taken care of at this point. Of course, I have had clients that end of sabotaging their own networks with the information. So, with proper education to the client I think it is overall a good thing.

As for the delivery method. I normally do the usual topology and information list. I haven't had any reason to use something else.

Each of my sites has a folder on our file server, inside that folder we keep a document with everything important. We back up firewall, switches, and router configs. This folder is backed up offsite at our other building across town. I also print everything off and give it to the client.

I've implemented a system with SharePoint. Each company gets their own site. Most information is documented in OneNote, pertinent documents such as manuals, invoices, Quotes/Bids are stored as well. Customers with a service contract have access to pertinent documentation. Customers without a service contract are given any relevant info at the time of install/change. Credential lookups/resets are charged.

The way I see it is the information belongs to the customer and must be supplied, but the organization of that information is my work product. If they are willing to pay and take advantage of my storage and organization, they have it. Otherwise I e-mail the info to them and charge accordingly for repetition.

Back