Document scanning idea - is it out there?

mokkapoop

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey everyone. I have a question for all you fine software people out there. I am trying to find out if there is software that can take a document, scan it in to an application that will allow me to find different point on the document (X, Y).

Here is why. We are creating forms for insurance policies that require the forms to be created using software we purchased (DocuCorp) software. However, when creating one of these forms from scratch, we must precisely measure where each paragraph starts, where tables are created, boxes, etc.

Right now, we are having to measure using a ruler (very strange I know). This is ridiculous when creating an 18 page form.

Is there software that will pull a document into it, whether its a PDF, word, rtf, or even just a printed document that gets scanned in as a picture and will allow measurements of where things are on that document? I am talking like a document measuring tool, where I can move my mouse to a point on the document and it tells me precisely where that point is?

Please let me know what you guys can do for me. Any links would help. Free would be best, but I work in a corporate environment so price is also no big deal.

Ok, here is the only thing I can think of, that would meet all of your requirements.

Gimp

Laugh if you want, but I'm pretty sure it will do what you want, and it's free, so you can at least give it a try and see if it will work.

Back