Docker

I use docker on my synology NAS to run pihole DNS server.

didn't want to manage another box/OS. Simple and works perfectly fine.

What kind of NAS is it?

The more containers you run, the more demand you put on the resources.

So I don't have a NAS or anything but it seems as though Synology offer you a way to integrate docker easily, see this guys blog

Open up the package center and find docker, there should only be one

Then you start running containers. The dude in the blog started with MySQL but you can start with a PiHole or Plex or something else you might need to run locally.

This guy has the same NAS as you do and asks a question about performance of Jenkins and Gitlab (which imo would never run adequately on such a small box)

I'd say start small by running 1-2 containers like the ones mentioned above and observe the impact on resources.

dual core with 2gb of ram is gonna be tight

So I don't have a NAS or anything but it seems as though Synology offer you a way to integrate docker easily, see this guys blog

Open up the package center and find docker, there should only be one

Then you start running containers. The dude in the blog started with MySQL but you can start with a PiHole or Plex or something else you might need to run locally.

This guy has the same NAS as you do and asks a question about performance of Jenkins and Gitlab (which imo would never run adequately on such a small box)

I'd say start small by running 1-2 containers like the ones mentioned above and observe the impact on resources.

dual core with 2gb of ram is gonna be tight

Thank you.

I don't need to run a docker I am fine with Plex directly from plex.tv with the nas version synology package.

Though I still may try just for the heck of it.

Last edited:
Thank you.

I don't need to run a docker I am fine with Plex directly from plex.tv with the nas version synology package.

Though I still may try just for the heck of it.
FYI

Certain Synology nas units can take advantage of hardware offloading. It can’t do this if you run Plex inside of docker.

I am really happy with my Synology DS220+ NAS. It does transcoding with hardware acceleration beautiful. Though I know do not transcode if you can help it! The only time it will happen is over mobile devices on 4g lte or 5g mostly but that is ok.

Can't wait until Plex gets tone mapping hardware acceleration for Synology NAS.

Back