DOA - The Weakest link

Hardware received DOA


  • Total voters
    26

jubbie

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 9, 2009
Messages
230
Long story short, this is part of a topic which I am researching on.

I'd begin by assuming that most of you would have purchased hardware and received DOA. What I am trying to find out is which components tend to fail more for whatever reason (that comes later) and in the process maybe provide some insight to your future purchases.

Just select all the parts that you'd have received DOA over the years of purchasing computer hardware. I might expand the poll into sub-sections (brand, generation, etc.) depending on how this goes. I also know that there are a lot of factors (where it is purchased, shipping, etc.) that might influence said outcomes but lets keep this simple.

CPU, Motherboard, RAM, PSU, Sound Card, Graphics Card, Hard Drive, SSD, Optical Drive, Monitor, Keyboard/Mice, Others (Please Specify). Here's hoping I havent missed anything!
 
Shameless bump. Would be great if more could provide input on this topic. Maybe splitting up the poll into different sub-sections and posting them in their respective threads could be a better idea?
 
Shameless bump. Would be great if more could provide input on this topic. Maybe splitting up the poll into different sub-sections and posting them in their respective threads could be a better idea?

Well here's the thing: This vast majority of visitors to this part of the forum are people relatively new to PC building so they really can't take part in your survey. I'm fairly sure that the 9 people that voted in your thread are the 9 regulars we have in this part of the forum.

So yeah, might be a better idea to split up this thread into their respective subforums. However, contact a mod first about that doing since it's somewhat spamming andsomewhat crossposting.
 
Yeah I figured that out looking at the response. As there wasnt a "general" hardware section, well other than this..I figured that this would be the most appropriate place to post as I didnt want to spam up the sub forums. Guess that if I want a better sample it would be best if I approach it that way. I guess its time to scour the forums for a favourite mod..heh. Judging from the very limited response, seems like hard drives are the worst culprits.

Just to be clear, you're asking only about components that arrive dead, not about components that eventually die, right?

Yup thats right. Most components die eventually right? :p
 
Last edited:
I have had a few things die very quickly after arriving, though not recently. I can't think of anything, right now, that I have had DoA. This would be going back to I guess... 1997? I think that is when I put together my first PC. Or had my dad walk me through it anyway. I was 13ish.
 
With the amount of hardware I've bought over the years (more than your avg [H]er, I'd say), I've received at least one DOA component in each of the categories you listed. However, most of those were back in the day, like last century :eek: :p lol. More recently, it's mostly been mobos and SSDs from Fry's, lol. Hell, I'm guessing most of the DOA parts in the 90's were from Fry's, too, since that was the only store I can think of where I used to buy parts before Newegg, lol.
 
Thats true. It seems that DOA experiences can be contributed by numerous factors including models produced that were comparatively unreliable. An off-shoot of where this could lead is charting the trends that causes components to fail ie. Fry's? :p
 
I have had the biggest problems with motherboards. Within one year I purchased 3 motherboards. All AM2+. First 2 were DOA. Asus and Gigabyte. The DFI's still cranking.
 
I voted motherboard. I have the worse luck with DOAs. Usually motherboard related, either a part of the mobo does not work, or the whole thing won't work. I can't recall other specific components that I've recieved DOA, it's been years since my last major purchase. I usually get at least 1 DOA item per purchase.
 
I'm not surprised by the motherboard and HDD options leading. :p

/remembers back to working in repair department days when 80% of "DOAs" were not DOAs

The biggest problems I had were with Newegg "open box" items (aka, untested customer returns).
 
Back
Top