I just got my 500 Watt PSU on Frid and plugged it in to test and it does absolutely nothing, no lights on, no fans running nothing nothing nothing. Is it DOA or does it have to be hooked up to a MOBO in order for it to do anything??
ATX PSU's require a signal from the motherboard (or some sort of other device) in order to turn on. You can short these pins out, or just plug it into the motherboard. If you choose to do the short method, you'll need to place something conductive (e.g. paperclip) between the green-wire pin and a black (ground) one. If you don't feel comfortable doing this (which is understandable) just plug it into a mobo and hit the power button.
Some PSU's wont do the "trip" method. My pcp&c (unknowningly) blew an internal fuse. When I was troubleshooting it with the tech support, I said I had jumpered the pin 14 and ground, they said I needed a harddrive at minimum to make the thing go active. I asked if a fan was ok, they said no, something with a little more startup draw.
Depends on your PSU manufacturer, but as 2nd poster said, plug it to the mobo and give it a whirl. You should get something.