DOA motherboard?

schapman

Gawd
So.. I'm kinda stumped by this problem and thought I'd turn to all you genius'.

Bought a new AMD a64 3000+ and the abit av8 third eye yesterday and hooked it all up. When I try and boot it, it starts to boot, doesnt POST and jsut resets itself.. then loops this behavior over and over until I cut the power.

My first thought was that I had left an extra standoff in there and it was shorting, so I pulled it all, and tried again.. There was one extra standoff but it wasnt touching anything (pulled it anyways to be sure). Tried booting, and it worked so I figured all was good. Hooked up the abit Uguru deal and my second 512 of ram.. rebooted and the problem starts again.

Thought.. OK, time to narrow this down.. booted w/ just vid card and RAM and didnt work. Cleared the CMOS, no good.

Theres the odd time I can get it to almost post, but fail just as the monitor is turning on and then it reboots again.

Yanked all the hardware again.. and it booted... YAY.. installed windows.. took it to a buddies.. plugged it in.. no good :(

We ripped it all apart again and saw some dust behind the board.. so we cleaned it up (on the odd chance it was shorting the board) and it booted. Problem solved right... Nope.

Brought it home.. plugged it in.. no good. Yanked all the hardware, reseated it all.. and it booted.

So right now, I am in windows (and posting here) but I have the knowledge that the second I do anything, its gonna FUBAR again.

As far as I can tell.. the motherboard came DOA. My buddy got the same one, and is running it in the same case w/ the same vid card.

Specs in box are as following (*note* all of this is the same as before the chip/board upgrade and was working, all I replaced was those)

A64 3000+ Socket 939
Abit Av8 3rd eye
1024 MB RAM (2x512MB Samsung DDR400 running 3-3-3-8, slow I know :p )
Radeon 9700pro
Creative Audigy2 ZS
Wester Digital 160GB hard drive
Pioneer 16x dvd burner
Lite-on 52x cd burner
Antec Sonata case w/ the stock truepower PSU (which is the same as my buddies so the power output shouldnt be affecting this)

Thanks for any input.

Hrm.... My suggestion is a faulty power supply myself. Here's just a suggestion. Since your buddy has the same power supply, swap units with him and see if his works properly and yours continues to act up. If the problems change, then you found your culprit.

Otherwise, I agree with you, time to RMA the mobo.

Odd thing is.. I now get the odd time where my video goes all blurry. I'm thinking its definately the board now.. probably something wrong w/ the AGP slot, and who knows where else.

Back