Do Z68 boards support VT-d for ESXi?

SadTelevision8558

Limp Gawd
This has always been like a gray area. I heard some P67 boards having that option but not working...

So far I see the ASRock and MSI boards having VT-d options in BIOS, but the Gigabyte, Asus boards don't. So what's the verdict?

I went with an Intel Q67 board :D

this board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121515

it works :D

fT93I.jpg

with i7-2600 non-K processor + 16gig ddr3-gSkill 1600mhz memory.

eIqbR.jpg

Last edited:
jin0's q67 looks pretty nice, but if you want an a step up from that consider the c206 chipset on the ASUS P8B WS. 4 physical 16x PCI-E slots to take whatever you throw at it, ECC memory (with supported processor), VT-D (with bios update), as well as the usual USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 you should be getting on any new board. The unique thing about the C206 is that it allows for the on chip GPU from the sandy bridge processors to be used. Depending on your use, this may keep your power usage down.

The unique thing about the C206 is that it allows for the on chip GPU from the sandy bridge processors to be used. Depending on your use, this may keep your power usage down.

Do you know if it's possible to use both the on chip GPU and an external card at the same time? Right now I'm running an old Nvidia PCI as an extra just to get my 3rd screen connected.

I looked at all the Sandybridge server boards before settling down on this Intel boards. While the servers boards are nice, they were way over my budget (i bought 3 of those intel boards for three seperate esxi system).

This Intel board does have USB3, SATA6, Remote Management with built-in Intel NIC, TPM 1.2, VT-d, which met my requirement perfectly while helping me to stay within my budget :D so i can spend more $$ on the processor :D

I dont really have any need for ECC memory support or the extra pci-e slots, so they're not really an issue for me.

Do you know if it's possible to use both the on chip GPU and an external card at the same time? Right now I'm running an old Nvidia PCI as an extra just to get my 3rd screen connected.

I think it does though I have not fully tested it. I passed an ATI card through to a vm while the intel gpu stayed for ESXi. ATI bluescreened, but that is probably an OS/driver issue. But in the end.... both cards were active at the same time, but not how you are intending. I'll try tonight on a baremetal OS setup just to be sure.

I think it does though I have not fully tested it. I passed an ATI card through to a vm while the intel gpu stayed for ESXi. ATI bluescreened, but that is probably an OS/driver issue. But in the end.... both cards were active at the same time, but not how you are intending. I'll try tonight on a baremetal OS setup just to be sure.

Any results? I went ahead and bought the P8B WS, but i cheaped out and got the 1230. I figure I could live with running an extra card for more screens for now...

I own an asus p6t6 ws pro, I am using it with esxi 4.1 it is rock solid. It has the vt-d option in bios

Any results? I went ahead and bought the P8B WS, but i cheaped out and got the 1230. I figure I could live with running an extra card for more screens for now...
Yes, I don't have Windows 7 install media here right now. Threw an ATI card in while running ubuntu, booted with the integrated being primary. Once booted, it was asking me to install drivers for the ATI card and it showed up in lspci. Not fully tested, but should be good.

Just a followup... Windows 7 64 host allows onboard video and addon ATI card to run concurrently. I had 3 displays at once.

My Z68 Asus Gene does not support VT-d that I can find in bios. Just VTx

And they don't plan to support it either:

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is Jany and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

I am afraid to say that the motherboard could only support VT-x, it could not support VT-d.

Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS website:
http://support.asus.com/servicehome.aspx?SLanguage=en

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Jany

ASUS Customer Service

Back