Do yourun AV software when running demanding games?

Do you run AV software when playing resource demanding games?

• Yes

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatticus

[H]ard|Gawd
Here's why you shouldn't.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000803.html

Let me be clear here. I'm not against security. I'm against retrograde, band-aid, destroy all my computer's performance security.

Speaking of retrograde, band-aid, destroy all my computer's performance security, the one security feature Vista doesn't bundle is anti-virus software. And nothing cripples your PC's performance quite like anti-virus software. This isn't terribly surprising if you consider what anti-virus software has to do: examine every single byte of data that passes through your computer for evidence of malicious activity. But who needs theory when we have Oli at The PC Spy. Oli conducted a remarkably thorough investigation of the real world performance impact of security software on the PC. The results are truly eye-opening:

http://www.thepcspy.com/articles/other/what_really_slows_windows_down/5

I guess it hasn't occured to you or anyone else to be more specific in this argument? I would suggest cooling down, and thinking this through a bit more before you just open the door for more flames.

You need to be more specific about what you mean by "running". I leave my AV software running all the time, even during a gaming session. The small amount of memory usage has ZERO effect on my gaming. Now, would I schedule a scan of my HDD while playing a game? No, and this is where you need to clarify.

Having the AV software running during a gaming session is perfectly fine, and won't chew up any noticeable amount of resources. Doing a full system scan during that time will.

In the other thread, where it turned into a bitchfest, everyone forgot to clarify the definition of "running".

For best performance, the first thing I do on any new Vista install is this:
1) Turn off Windows Defender
2) Turn off Windows Firewall
3) Disable System Protection
4) Disable UAC

That's quoted from one of the articles. The credibility of the author just left the room, if he actually tells people to disable UAC, and on top of it, suggests doing so in the name of performance. Just because it's written on the internet, doesn't make it true. Just because many others share a different opinion than you, doesn't mean you need to go on a personal crusade in attempt to prove yourself right.

I have thought it through. Read the first link I posted. It shows a chart showing the negative effects of AV software on performance. Put simply, you are wrong. Now tell me why you need AV software while running a game anyway? When I run a SP game I am not even connected to the internet. I need no AV software or anti-spyware running in the background sapping my PC's performance. I scan files manually for a virus before I run them and don't need AV running in the background at all when playing a game. The fact Microsoft made Defender in Vista so awkward to shut down and start up again proves they are not all that serious about it being a gaming OS.

Wait, are we expecting an AV app to have absolutely no decrease (however small) in performance? If you want real-time scanning, be prepared to make a slight difference.

So don't get any of the first eight AV apps listed. You'll be good to go.

Read the first link I posted. It shows a chart showing the negative effects of AV software on performance. Put simply, you are wrong.
If you notice a performance hit, simply by having the AV software running in the background, it's time to upgrade from the Pentium III 500 MHz. Seriously, just look at the logic...drop the attitude and the I-gotta-be-right-always thinking, and just use some common sense.

That's quoted from one of the articles. The credibility of the author just left the room, if he actually tells people to disable UAC, and on top of it, suggests doing so in the name of performance. Just because it's written on the internet, doesn't make it true. Just because many others share a different opinion than you, doesn't mean you need to go on a personal crusade in attempt to prove yourself right.

If you read the complete article you will have seen that he uses a limited user account instead of using UAC. I was recently saying to a friend that I will probably run Vista that way eventually too, as I do XP. Install everything under a full admin account but run under a limited user account. I don't need UAC to be secure.

I hate to be the bearer of more bad news for you, but everyone runs as a limited account in Vista, hence the reason for the Cancel or Allow stuff. Have you even used Vista yet, on your own box, where you set up the system yourself?

If you notice a performance hit, simply by having the AV software running in the background, it's time to upgrade from the Pentium III 500 MHz. Seriously, just look at the logic...drop the attitude and the I-gotta-be-right-always thinking, and just use some common sense.

Then stop making assumptions about what I do know. None of what you say above is anywhere near the truth.

Your posts tend to be on the verge of combusting. Consequently, I'm betting that few people really care what your opinions are since you tend to be the minority. If you really believe everything the Internet shoves through your irises, I hope someday you reach some sublime enlightenment. Otherwise, be a normal member here and use this forum to enrich your knowledge and understanding of computers and electronics, not to sway everyone's opinion and beliefs to match your own.

If you're so concerned about gaming, enough to leave your system vulnerable to being compromised, maybe you should game with your NIC disabled.

<sigh> Common sense tells me to ignore your lies.

When I run a SP game I am not even connected to the internet. I need no AV software or anti-spyware running in the background sapping my PC's performance. I scan files manually for a virus before I run them and don't need AV running in the background at all when playing a game.

Your computer must be pretty slow if you disconnect from the internet and shut down AV before gaming because they "sap too much performance", either that or your one of those guys that has to "sap" every last ounce of performance out of your box to play a game. I would understand that on a slower rig but on any decent machine that's not necessary what so ever...

I find that the resources used are not many, even with the pig of all AV's Norton running gaming was fine.

I just have a humble little Opteron rig, but even with my other computers I've NEVER had to shut down any other application. I'd game on my 3700+ San Diego with Norton doing a system scan in the background.

Wait a second. "Demanding" is relative to the system running the game. In any case, you'll never find me disabling NOD32. Gaming isn't that important to me. The integrity of my system far outweighs any other concern.

Because this forum is for discussion, please refrain from making one-sided threads like this in the future. If all you want to do is bury us with your opinion and flame us when we disagree, why post? Really?

I've actually tried disabling my a/v while gaming, and I, myself, on my system, noticed absolutely no difference. But that's just me... I don't much care about fps and benchmarks... I prefer to judge my "performance" based on my experience while actually playing a game.. not how high I get my fps... If the game plays enjoyably, that's all that really matters to me, and NOD32 running in the background while gaming has never ruined the experience for me, so I see no need to disable it.

I hate to be the bearer of more bad news for you, but everyone runs as a limited account in Vista, hence the reason for the Cancel or Allow stuff. Have you even used Vista yet, on your own box, where you set up the system yourself?

Once again, read the complete article. Default under Vista is admin with some limitations and is not a complete limited user account. Go look at the account if you don't believe me. Fuck, I am dealing with fucking morons.

If you're so concerned about gaming, enough to leave your system vulnerable to being compromised, maybe you should game with your NIC disabled.

Wake up! Did you even read what I said? I said I am disconnected from the internet when I run SP games. That's it! Too many fucking idiots without a clue on this so called enthusiast's forum. :eek:

Once again, read the complete article. Default under Vista is admin with some limitations and is not a complete limited user account. Go look at the account if you don't believe me. Fuck, I am dealing with fucking morons.
So which is it...an admin, or an account with some limitations??? Pot, meet kettle. and the saga continues. ever notice a common theme in your threads...where you seem to be against the world? Why do you think that is? If we are all "fucking morons", why are you still here?

My question is why do you even bother disabling all that stuff? Is your PC that slow that you cannot run with processes/apps on in the background? What are you on a Pentium II ?

I've actually tried disabling my a/v while gaming, and I, myself, on my system, noticed absolutely no difference. But that's just me... I don't much care about fps and benchmarks... I prefer to judge my "performance" based on my experience while actually playing a game.. not how high I get my fps... If the game plays enjoyably, that's all that really matters to me, and NOD32 running in the background while gaming has never ruined the experience for me, so I see no need to disable it.

Yea, well, playing Tiddlywinks isn't all that demanding of a game anyway.

ever notice a common theme in your threads...where you seem to be against the world? Why do you think that is?

Because history teaches us that it is those that dare to think differently than the sheeples who are usually right.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Yea, well, playing Tiddlywinks isn't all that demanding of a game anyway.

I have bent over backwards to stay out of your threads for a long time, and I thought that perhaps offering my opinion might be worth something here, but again I see it is a waste of my time to post in your threads.....

Hitler thought differently than the "sheeples". How'd that work out for him.

Are you honestly so pompous to put yourself in the company of such people as Galileo? Wow.

Wake up! Did you even read what I said?

No.

I don't think I've ever seen a calm thread in which you've posted. You should invest in a monitor whose screen is really a mirror.

You are not right. You are not the authority. We're here to discuss, not worship your word. We're allowed to disagree. Deal with it.

I see you edited your post to omit that part claiming that you'd stop responding in this thread because of the flames. Cop-out.

Well, I can't have you ladies sullying my good name in public without a response.

I see we are back to the same old namecalling.
I won't get into this one... There is a reason you were stopped from continuing this talk once already.

If there needs to be further proof of a troll, I don't know what proof I would give.

Your other thread (here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1174512) was locked. Now you start a new thread about the same stuff?

Reported the thread... hopefully others would do the same. You know what would be great? A "Bury as Inaccurate" option like Digg uses. Nobody would ever have to see these threads.

Anyone with two brain cells to rub together can see that my post was quite valid but it is you twerps who came along and ruined it with your BS and lies. I don't respond kindly to BS and lies. And reporting my threads just makes you a childish tattle-tale.

Telling me to get a faster PC even though you don't have a clue what my PC is just illustrates how stupid some of you are. Throwing the latest and greatest hardware and then hobbling that performance by running unneeded crap in the background is truly moronic. Some of you have more money than sense.

Telling me to get a faster PC even though you don't have a clue what my PC is just illustrates how stupid some of you are.

Just as making a statement like this, after assuming I play Tiddleywinks, without having a clue what games I do play... illustrates what a hypocrite you are.

Once again, read the complete article. Default under Vista is admin with some limitations and is not a complete limited user account. Go look at the account if you don't believe me.
Anyone notice pistol pete over here has never once acknowledged wether or not he has run Vista?
See, what you seem to not understand, and this post just is as good as admitting it- is we don't need to read the article for stuff like that. We actually USE Vista. We know how it works. We don't need an article to tell us about how the UAC works- we can see it with our own two eyes.

Once again- for search engine purposes- here is how Vista's accounts work (obviously it would take a hole in the head to teach this guy anything). Default under Vista is called "Administrator" level. There is also account settings called Standard level.
The only difference between Administrator and Standard account, is how you deal with the prompts. With the Administrator account, you press Cancel or Allow. With the Standard account, you must provide the Administrator account's password in order to use the "Allow" button. That is the ONLY difference. They both prompt you just as much. They both have the same level of control over the system.

Telling me to get a faster PC even though you don't have a clue what my PC is just illustrates how stupid some of you are. Throwing the latest and greatest hardware and then hobbling that performance by running unneeded crap in the background is truly moronic. Some of you have more money than sense.
I wonder what you do for a job? Surely it isn't involved with computers, as even 80 year old people I sometimes work for realize you can run more stuff and be less effected by performance with a fast computer. This post tells me you DO have a slow computer.

Another thing that I laugh at, is you call us "stupid" because we assume the most probable situation for why you need to disable these (slow computer). You never once offered any information on what kind of PC you actually have- so until you do, as far as we know- it is 100&#37; true. And now that your reputation is shot- I don't think anyone would trust you even if you were telling the truth in the first place (A first for your life???).

If all you want to do is bury us with your opinion and flame us when we disagree, why post? Really?
As it has been said many time... troll.

BTW, Gatty... learn to use the Edit button. You are constantly replying to posts five or more back, when you already had a reply after that post. Edit your darn post. Your lack of basic understanding of how discussion forums work is amazing.

Edit-
It's too bad you don't stay disconnected.
You know they say "Be careful what you wish for"? Well, I don't think we need to be careful in this situation... we just need to wish!

Edit2- I just realized how crappy your computer must really be. Windows Defender is using so little processing power it isn't even showing up in Task Manager. Neither is AVG. Together, both my AVG and Windows Defender are using a whole 1.5MB of RAM! Head for the hills! Its gunna blow!

This thread has just degraded into exactly what does not need to be on these forums, much less in OS.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back