Do you use Qos on your home network?

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
I just changed my wap's firmware to Tomato and have been playing around with Qos on it. Overall I am really happy with the improvements Tomato has added over the stock linksys firmware.

The main reason I setup Qos is because I torrent a lot from home and its nice to have it set to the lowest setting so my web browsing is super speedy. I have yet to play around with what ports my online games use, but that will come. Another reason I changed firmware is because I am getting ready to get myself a home server to run a website and home multimedia server.

Anyways I was wondering if anyone used Qos at home. At most it gets 3 users on a 6mb Comcast cable connection.

Yes, after getting spoiled by it...I cannot live without it.

PFSense. Gaming top priority, and VoIP. 5x computers in the house, often 3 of them going pretty hard on the 'net. 2 of them gaming hard, the boy frequently downloading also. I MUST have top notch pings while playing Battlefield or other FPS games. They can do whatever they want with their computers...my pings stay nice and stable.

Without it..if the wife is online shopping hard while I was playing, or the kid went to download stuff..I'd see my pings skyrocket and I'd want to run over and unplug their computers.

YeOlde - I would be interested in seeing your actual classifications and settings if you don't mind posting them.

YeOlde - I would be interested in seeing your actual classifications and settings if you don't mind posting them.

I would as well, it was hard to find examples of settings that people were using.

I did how ever come across one where this guy said for all HTTP requests 512k and under there was no limit imposed. I have it setup the same way and so far are very happy with it.

I've only enabled the QoS on my D-Link 625, but haven't done much more with it.

I can't live without it. 4 people in the house, 12 computers, 2 PS3s , 1 XBOX 360, and 2 Wiis. There is a lot of traffic in the house for my little 15Mb/s RoadRunner connection.

The Traffic Shaping Wizard built into PFSense makes it wicked easy..that's all I used.
As you run through the wizard....you enter your max download and upload speeds (benchmarked speeds work best), you select which types of traffic you wish to give priority to. Optionally..you can also stick a computer in the "penalty box"...and spec max upload 'n download for that PC for all its traffic. (I did that to the boys computer :) )

I use the QoS built into Smoothwall. Don't really notice that much of a difference on 1.5 dsl but it does stop one computer from eating all the bandwidth for its self.

Back