Do you use a mouse with your MacBook?

Quiz

Gawd
Considering how good the trackpad is on MacBooks, I wanted to know how many of you use a mouse with your MacBook? Based on what I've seen/read, the trackpad is actually better than using a mouse (for daily usage and obviously not gaming).

I use a mouse with my MacBook Pro, even when not using it in clamshell mode. I simply can’t seem to get used to trackpads; I even use an external mouse with my Windows-based laptops that also have trackpads.

I use a mouse with my MacBook Pro, even when not using it in clamshell mode. I simply can’t seem to get used to trackpads; I even use an external mouse with my Windows-based laptops that also have trackpads.
What mouse do you use with the MacBook Pro?

Yes, I use a Logitech G810 keyboard and g502x mouse with my MacBook Pro when I have it on my desk at home plugged into my monitor. I keep the mouse and keyboard plugged in via a USB switcher so I can easily switch between my gaming PC and the MacBook Pro. Both Logitech devices work great, and the G software works fine on Mac.

I used a mac for work for 8 years. I'd use the trackpad when on the go, but otherwise, a mouse. I prefer big, ambidextrous mice, like the Intellimouse Optical and similar. For work, mouse on the left; for home, mouse on the right. Apple brought us the hockey puck mouse, and thought one button on the mouse was too many, clearly they don't know how to make pointing devices, so I never considered anything but a solid mouse from someone else.

yes, i fn hate track pads. i use a M720 triathlon via bt and use the dongle for other systems im working on

I use a mouse with laptops when I'm at my desk. Doesn't matter if it's a Mac or a Windows machine. Part of it is I've been using mice for decades, and won't stop since the vast majority of my non-work use is on a desktop with a GPU that eats more power than my work MacBook or personal Windows laptop. If I'm not at my desk I mostly use the trackpad with laptops, but will get a mouse out of I need to do some serious work or want to play a game on a laptop. That mostly only happens if I'm out of town, and if there's a game involved it's an old one. I'm currently using a Razer DeathAdder of some sort at home and some sort of Dell wireless mouse at work.

Aside from my mouse habit the other reason I don't like built-in trackpads at my desk is putting the laptop in a convenient spot to use the trackpad gets in the way. It's either too far off to the side or blocking a monitor at home. If you can put your laptop in a spot on your desk where it's convenient to use the trackpad you either don't have enough monitors or they aren't big enough. :D

I stopped using my MX Master 3 on mac without realizing it was permanent after a period using the haptic trackpad exclusively.
The only thing that kind of comes close is the surface laptop studio 1 haptic trackpad.
I'll happily use the mouse with my XPS, please and thank you.

single finger right click should be retired.

An Apple Magic Mouse 2.
Is the PC in your sig your current PC? Do you game on it? I have the PC in my sig and it's pretty much from the same time as yours. Want to get rid of it and get a MacBook Pro 14" as my sole computer for now. Not into gaming much these days. I can always get a console or new gaming PC later on.

Last edited:
I used to use a trackball with Macbooks, but by now the large trackpad on my 16" has won me over, so not anymore.

Any mouse recommendations for the MacBook Pro 14"? Is the Magic Mouse any good? Looking at its shape and profile, it seems it would be a bit uncomfortable to use?

Any mouse recommendations for the MacBook Pro 14"? Is the Magic Mouse any good? Looking at its shape and profile, it seems it would be a bit uncomfortable to use?

I would only use mice with 3 buttons (pressable wheel).

Just buy any mouse and use it. The apple mice are complete garbage.

At a desk using the trackpad is extremely inconvenient so yes, also I use mos to fix the horrible scrolling. If you're addicted to safari just keep in mind they don't implement native support for back and forward side buttons while they work fine in other browsers.

Is the PC in your sig your current PC? Do you game on it? I have the PC in my sig and it's pretty much from the same time as yours. Want to get rid of it and get a MacBook Pro 14" as my sole computer for now. Not into gaming much these days. I can always get a console or new gaming PC later on.
I used to use the PC as my primary desktop, including games which mostly consisted of rather old Steam games that worked great with Proton or Blizzard games via Lutron’s (which worked somewhat well). Then my gaming changed to sitting in a chair with a laptop running Windows 10 and now a new laptop running Windows 11.

I started using MacBooks 4 years ago and only last year I got the Magic Mouse. It's useful if you are working or playing games. However, I can't say it changed much.

Back