Do you think these Titans will be much more powerful than the 780?

Sky15

2[H]4U
I'm guessing the Titan will be more powerful than the 780, but by how much?

For compute - I'm guessing yes. For gaming - maybe not?? The old yearly refresh cycle has been thrown out the window with the rise of integrated graphics and shift to mobile device priorities.

I think the days of dedicated graphic cards being the earliest adopter of fab process shrinks may be over. It's too hard to make a profit considering the shrinking market.

All of that means it's anybody's guess when the next big thing in graphics will come out.

We still don't know which part the 780 will use. If GK114, you'll see a slight improvement. If a cutdown GK110 you'll see performance close to Titan.
But nothing will beat Titan this year. So the people who bought it got the best card for gaming/compute for 2013.

Well, nvidia could just reduce memory amount and FP64 cuda cores.

That would give it more than enough space to add a couple of SMXs and still make the die smaller.

A 780 with say 18 SMXs could easily take on Titan even with "only" 3gb

Isn't the 780 going to be more like the move from 480 to 580 in 2010 ? I would expect 15-20% over the 680's performance its doubtful any Nvidia card will beat Titan before Maxwell is out. Could be wrong of course.

If there is a 780 it needs to be as powerful or more powerful than Titan. But I'm not exactly sure how they can do that on the same Process (28nm) unless the GPU is a completely new more optimized design with more cuda cores, kind of like a GTX 285 but that gpu was on a different process than the GTX 280.

I'm not exactly sure how the 780 series will turn out to be honest.

I'm guessing the Titan will be more powerful than the 780, but by how much?

I posted this in another thread but it bears repeating:

My quick uneducated guess is that Nvidia will not release a 780 until sales of the Titan drop down to some low number. Then BAM!!! The 780 comes out with 90-95% the speed of the Titan for $500.

The early adopters (read: Titan owners) get their "780" , 6-9 months early, but pay a $500 premium to do so. Then after the 780 has been out for a while, say 6-9 months, Titan2 comes out with same performance delta as the 680-v-Titan and it costs, wait for it, $1000.

So Nvidia give you the ability to own the NEXT generation high end card, 6-9 months early, you just have to pay a $500 premium to do so.

My quick uneducated guess is that Nvidia will not release a 780 until sales of the Titan drop down to some low number. Then BAM!!! The 780 comes out with 90-95% the speed of the Titan for $750.

FTFY! :D

Every indication I've seen is that then 780 won't be released until next year, most likely on the new TSMC 20nm process. Nvidia sees no reason to do a product refresh right now, as they have competitive products across the board - a respin of the platform would be a waste at this rate.

Every indication I've seen is that then 780 won't be released until next year, most likely on the new TSMC 20nm process. Nvidia sees no reason to do a product refresh right now, as they have competitive products across the board - a respin of the platform would be a waste at this rate.

I don't think nvidia will move kepler to 20nm. They'll wait for Maxwell to make the switch

I don't think nvidia will move kepler to 20nm. They'll wait for Maxwell to make the switch

That's what I meant! There's likely no Kepler refresh on 28nm (not enough sales numbers to justify it), therefore the GTX 780 will be MAXWELL!

Or if it's not, you can be sure the Kepler refresh won't be much faster. There was a lot of low-hanging fruit with the GTX 580 refresh that's just not there this time around.

Last edited:
Isn't the 780 going to be more like the move from 480 to 580 in 2010 ? I would expect 15-20% over the 680's performance its doubtful any Nvidia card will beat Titan before Maxwell is out. Could be wrong of course.

Yes, except more like 460 to 560 (GF104 to GF114) as this will be GK104 to GK114.

i most likely will wait for the GTX880 as well, and sit it side by side with the 8800GT / 8800GTX lol

Will Amd announcement to release 8xxx series this year affect nvidias release dates? What has history show us so far?

They might even rebadge the titan to a 780 and make some small adjustments. 8 series should be good.

There is no new AMD card this year. Been discussed to death already.

http://www.techpowerup.com/180009/No-New-GPUs-from-AMD-for-the-Bulk-of-2013.html

Which on a side note could be great news. If they give the R&D guys that much time without quick deadlines etc. hopefully they can come out with something impressive in 2014 so we can get some serious competition back.

On topic, theres no point in Nvidia releasing anything to topple the titan. All they would be doing is competing with themselves at that point. Just gradually drop the price of the titan all year and own the performance crown. No sense in releasing something faster when you are unrivaled as it is.

It seems to me both camps are waiting it out for the new consoles to arrive, and will pick up the real fight again then. Right now it's just hair-pulling.

Save Crysis 3 and a handful of others, there just isn't a software reason to bring out any faster cards, certainly not for the mainstream. Surround/Eyefinity users and/or cravers of high AA modes are a VERY tiny minority and, quite frankly, bring very little dough in for either side. They don't drive the market anymore.

Until the new consoles arrive, there just won't be a true demand for hardware to play catchup. I honestly don't think video hardware has truly played catchup since Crysis 1! :p

It seems to me both camps are waiting it out for the new consoles to arrive, and will pick up the real fight again then. Right now it's just hair-pulling.

Save Crysis 3 and a handful of others, there just isn't a software reason to bring out any faster cards, certainly not for the mainstream. Surround/Eyefinity users and/or cravers of high AA modes are a VERY tiny minority and, quite frankly, bring very little dough in for either side. They don't drive the market anymore.

Until the new consoles arrive, there just won't be a true demand for hardware to play catchup. I honestly don't think video hardware has truly played catchup since Crysis 1! :p

I feel the same way, until the next consoles come out most pc gamers don't need the extra power for gaming. I know for myself using a GTX 470 at 1080p there is zero reason for me to upgrade this year. 98% of games out right now don't stress my system at all.

They announced that the 8000 series will be out by the end of the year, lol.

I thought AMD was going to play the rebadge game with 8000 series this year. AMD has lost their main GPU design guys to Qualcomm, and they are trying to shift their resources to integrated graphics and staying relevant in the mobile market as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, I don't think they are going to be putting much pressure on Nvidia at the high end in the future - just like they had to go to the value proposition vs Intel.

I thought AMD was going to play the rebadge game with 8000 series this year. AMD has lost their main GPU design guys to Qualcomm, and they are trying to shift their resources to integrated graphics and staying relevant in the mobile market as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, I don't think they are going to be putting much pressure on Nvidia at the high end in the future - just like they had to go to the value proposition vs Intel.

Good observations. If you look on Amds site they have the specs for the 8000 series posted. And it is a rebadge job unless the cards will drastically change by then which I doubt.

Good observations. If you look on Amds site they have the specs for the 8000 series posted. And it is a rebadge job unless the cards will drastically change by then which I doubt.

The chart you refer to @ Anandtech clearly states that the rebadged 8 series parts are OEM only, and not retail parts. There will be all new 8 series parts in Q4 as mentioned above.

i am waiting for the 780 for my next upgrade. i hope it will cost less than a titan. does anyone guess how much is it going to cost?

i am waiting for the 780 for my next upgrade. i hope it will cost less than a titan. does anyone guess how much is it going to cost?

TBH, if it's not a cut-down GK110, I'm not interested.
The current 680s/GK104 will do just fine until Maxwell.

I posted this in another thread but it bears repeating:

My quick uneducated guess is that Nvidia will not release a 780 until sales of the Titan drop down to some low number. Then BAM!!! The 780 comes out with 90-95% the speed of the Titan for $500.

The early adopters (read: Titan owners) get their "780" , 6-9 months early, but pay a $500 premium to do so. Then after the 780 has been out for a while, say 6-9 months, Titan2 comes out with same performance delta as the 680-v-Titan and it costs, wait for it, $1000.

So Nvidia give you the ability to own the NEXT generation high end card, 6-9 months early, you just have to pay a $500 premium to do so.

This is how I feel about the whole situation. I pondered selling my (2) 680 4GB cards for a Titan vs. buying a 3rd 680 4GB card, and wound up buying a third 680. I really wish the Titan was more like $800, they'd be much easier to swallow, and we'd still be paying the "early access" tax, just not as much. At $800 ea, I could see myself slowly building to a tri-SLI Titan setup, but not at a grand a pop. I think I'll wait till at LEAST the 7xx series, if not the 8xx series, if I can.

I'm debating getting a nvidia gpu upgrade so that I can use lightboost on a VG248QE monitor.
I was going to hold out until gtx780 and titan were both out but it sounds like the gtx780 might be a long way off yet.

I am now considering a Titan but I've been reading that they throttle.
The price is also very high when two 680's are priced similarly and would outperform it considerably.
Of course single cards have their benefits.
Still undecided. Might get one 680 + the monitor to start with and see how it goes, idk. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think NVidia may be attempting to move to the Intel approach. Meaning that a 780 will likely be sub Titan performance, but pretty close, and be typical x80 pricing.

A "Titan 2.0" will then come out some time later and fill their "extreme" slot and be huge perf over the x80.

They're trying to open a new market. The Titan is going to be their "911 Turbo". The new 911 NA can get close to the outgoing Turbo, but never exceed it.

I would expect that the 780 would be a Maxwell part as yet another Kepler wouldnt make any sense IMO. They can already fight anything AMD has quite well with the ridiculous range of Kepler parts they already have out - from the 660 to the 680 to the 690 and now the Titan. They can hold off on 780 until a new architecture.

I'm debating getting a nvidia gpu upgrade so that I can use lightboost on a VG248QE monitor.
I was going to hold out until gtx780 and titan were both out but it sounds like the gtx780 might be a long way off yet.

I am now considering a Titan but I've been reading that they throttle.
The price is also very high when two 680's are priced similarly and would outperform it considerably.
Of course single cards have their benefits.
Still undecided. Might get one 680 + the monitor to start with and see how it goes, idk. :rolleyes:

Single Titan outperforms SLI 680/CFX 7970 in the metric that truly matters: frame times. FPS, while important, is not nearly as important...with high frame times you lose fluidity.

Reference:
http://www./forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/60166-nvidia-gtx-titan-vs-sli-crossfire.html

I couldn't get that link you posted to load but I'm assuming you are talking about frame deviations / frame latency.. I do prefer hardwarecanucks and other sites. I know Tom's isn't the best site but his titan review has some charts showing frame latencies of various games. The pattern of the latency seems to vary a lot game to game so how obnoxious it appears during gameplay might be partly dependent on a particular game's coding. Some games have a fairly normal "waveform" graph, while others are much more irregular with steep drastic slopes throughout.

You have to scroll down to see the consecutive frame latency chart on each page but I think the shape of the graphs might give a better idea of the typical "flow"/fluidity.

Skyrim - frame latency

Farcry3 - frame latency

Borderlands2 - frame latency

Battlefield3 - frame latency

Hitman:Absolution - frame latency

Tom's hardware - Titan review: all games fps page

The frame latency factor is interesting, thanks for the heads up. The Titans also have a boatload of vram on them for MSAA and super high detail texture mods, etc. which is another consideration.
I'd actually be using the nvidia card I get with a VG248QE in lightboost 1ms backlight strobing mode for zero blur. It works by strobing the "3D" backlight in 2D mode, synchronized one 1.4ms "FLASH!" per hz which is sort of a snapshot of the pristine part of the frame. (1.4ms out of 10ms per frame at 100hz, or out of 8.3ms per frame at 120hz). This conversely blacks out the pixel transition and persistence parts of the frame, and your retinal retention blur effect. (response time is only around 15% of blur cause now, the rest is retinal retention blur). End result, "crt" zero blur motion clarity.

|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~1 hz (10ms or 8.3ms)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
<-----retention/transition part of frame---><--1.4ms FLASH! snapshot---><-----retention/transition part of frame--->

The lightboost setup requires a nvidia card and running 100hz&100fps+ , or 120hz&120fps+.

Last edited:
Googled the hardwarecanucks titan review myself.. Neither of your links worked. No problem though with google. You could also try tinyurl but I don't mean to suggest subverting hardforum policy or anything.

Interesting in their testing that very high framerates seem to keep the lows in any frametime variance from mattering much. They say this about Max Payne:
Since this game was operating at quite high framerates, frame times don&#8217;t appear to be an issue with any of these cards.

Dipping sub 100fps or sub 120fps starts introducing afterimage shadows or otherwise starting to "soften blur" the whole scene again regarding lightboost strobing's full elimination of blur. I'm not sure that it would matter if it were very brief and scattered throughout (i.e. "stutter"), as compared to "valleys" on the graph that run through multiple frames.

Have to include this since I brought it up - credit for discovering the lightboost "trick" goes to Mark Rejhon of Blurbusters.com. He's very knowledgeable about lcd tech.
Vega and few others contributed a lot to testing and figuring things out as well.

ASUS/BENQ LightBoost owners!! Zero motion blur setting! (hardforum thread)

Asus VG248QE 144hz 3D Vision 2: The Official Thread

Last edited:
Back