Do you think the x800 and 6800 high end cards will be enough for Unreal 3 think again

oqvist

[H]F Junkie
This is Unreal :D

Sorry couldn´t help it it´s from beyondunreal having an interview with tim Sweeny

BU: UT2004 required 5.5 gigs of hard drive space to install. This has got to be a strain a lot of people's systems. So you're talking 2048 x 2048 texture sets, what kind of system and memory is this next game going to take?

TS: Well, we are aiming at the kind of PC that we think will be mainstream in 2006. We will also be able to scale it down. Basically DirectX 9 cards will be minimum spec, so any DirectX 9 shipping today will be capable of running our game, but probably at reduced detail. If you only have a 256 meg video card you will be running the game one step down, whereas if you have a video card with a gig of memory then you'll be able to see the game at full detail."

heh whatever... we will all be buying new cards by then anyway. I get the best graphics card every 1.5 - 2 years. That game is coming out at my marker. I honestly could care less about a game coming out that long from now

oqvist said:
This is Unreal :D

Sorry couldn´t help it it´s from beyondunreal having an interview with tim Sweeny

BU: UT2004 required 5.5 gigs of hard drive space to install. This has got to be a strain a lot of people's systems. So you're talking 2048 x 2048 texture sets, what kind of system and memory is this next game going to take?

TS: Well, we are aiming at the kind of PC that we think will be mainstream in 2006. We will also be able to scale it down. Basically DirectX 9 cards will be minimum spec, so any DirectX 9 shipping today will be capable of running our game, but probably at reduced detail. If you only have a 256 meg video card you will be running the game one step down, whereas if you have a video card with a gig of memory then you'll be able to see the game at full detail."

But of course, but when is that? 2006, doesn't matter to me, i'll have a whole new system by then with the latest graphics card in it, im only worried about todays gen games for now.

And thats a no brainer, games 2 years from now obviously won't run good at full res on today's gens cards. Thats like saying Far Cry, Doom III or HL2 can run at full res on a geforce 4.

But it´s quite scary that a 500$ video card and in most countries they are even more can be mainstream at best in 2 years.

It´s doubtful a 6800 ULTRA or X800XT will run it well at 1024x768 even...

Yes but the Unreal 3 demo on the 6800 ULTRA seems to more or less confirm it.

I wonder what those 1 gig video cards will cost. I wonder if mem price fall down enough for they to be priced the same as todays highends or if we will be payin even more for video cards in the future?

2 years from now? Give me a break :rolleyes:

Honestly, who could have predicted two years ago we would have a battle between ATI and Nvidia, that would produce the kind of graphics cards we see right now. No one can really say what we will have available to the public 2 years from now, and with what featuers. All we know for sure is todays card will be a dog when compared, but that part is a no-brainer.

Bottom line is the cost of hardware componets will determine what we will see.

What do you mean 2 years from now the 9700 PRO had been out for quite some time and the 5800 ULTRA had just arrived I think.

Epic surely seems to think they can predict at what level we will be when Unreal 3 is supposed to be released. But I didn´t recon it would go that fast really even though the E3 demo was mighty impressive already.

All speculation at this point IMO. The Unreal series have never been system hogs, at least for me so I hope that U3 won't be either.

LOL - two years from now I will be on my second video card upgrade from my new X800XT PE.

If the 6800/X800 still work at 30fps with Unreal3 at a moderate detail level in 2006, I think most would be more than happy with the value of their purchase. I know I would be.

If the game even comes out in 2 years... I think 3 is a more accurate estimate, but anything is possible. By that time the new budget video cards will be running circles around the X800. There will probably be 4 new series of video cards from each manufacturer by the time Unreal 3 is out. Compare the performance of the 6800 to the GF3.

I would rather like them to be the 9700 PRO:s of current days if that would be the case I would feel more comfortable. I will make my best keeping my X800XT as long as I kept my 9700 PRO. Though most people would settle with an 9700 PRO even today if you max everything out in Far Cry at 1024x768x32 with say 2xaa and 4x aniso you get frames in the 20th in many areas...

So if Unreal 3 is the same then I guess I can´t play with the X800XT at an acceptable level with todays video cards. While other is of course fine making more compromises :).

But Unreal games have always been demanding on your system. not the Unreal tournament games for obvious reasons but Unreal when it came you could just about forget playing it on anything else than a voodoo. Unreal 2 was also quite demanding and Unreal 3 surely don´t seem as the exception really.

so ...when that time comes , the 6800ultra then will be comparabe to a 5200ultra now..?

lol ..gonna be some insane looking games ..... :)

yeah just look at the E3 demo. It already looks unreal. Here I go again :rolleyes:

Wait so you guys actually buy that crap. I don't believe that the game will need a minimum of an X800XT PE to run it in only two years. Graphics cards don't advance as much as they just did every year. The UT3 makers are going to want to make a game that almost anyone can play. It equals more sales. I can't see everyone have 1 gb gpu's in 2 years. People are stilling playing unreal 2004 with geforce2's. Most people that play these games don't have 9600's or higher like most of the people on these forums do.

Smcgee85

I agree, but he said in the interview that DirectX 9 GPU's will be minimum. That means any GPU that supports DX9 will be able to run it. I think everyone 2 years from now will at least have a DX9 capable GPU, even if it's a 5200 :p

christ, Intel's new intergrated graphics due THIS YEAR will support DX9...

I think GPUs are reaching the practical limit as far as heat and power and size and cost. I'd say it's foolhearty to build a game around a theoretical video card that over the next two years will increase in performance as much as today's cards have from two year old cards.

I would have to disagree. As has been stated in many articles about graphics processing, it's inherintly a massively parallel process. This is different than the data processors have to deal with as graphics chips can just throw more pipelines or more chips to increase performance.

You can do this with cpu's as well, but programs have to be written specifically to use the extra processors. With graphics rendering the hardware can take care of it all behind the scenes.

Does anyone know where I can check out the Unreal 3 demo? Or is there no current video demo, and only those gorgeous pics?

cappy said:
Does anyone know where I can check out the Unreal 3 demo? Or is there no current video demo, and only those gorgeous pics?

No current demo. Probably not for a while, but for kicks goto the epic forums and start asking. You should get some good responses.

By the time that game comes out we will all have ATI Z-9,700,000XRs or NVidia 77,000VDs with liquid nitrogen cooled gpus, 2 gigsG-DDDDR60 at 50,000 mhz, 160 pipelines, and PCI super expres. And we will still be fighting about wich one is faster by 2 to 6 fps in Quake 3 running at about 60,000 fps. :)

by the time of the game release ill prob have an athlon 7000+ and a 1 gig vid card with 4 gig of sys memory... i hope...hmm i better start saving :D

I agree with most people. 2 years= almost 2 more generations of video cards and system hardware. That means around 3 to 4 times faster and a bunch of new features...

Hell, maybe we'll even have 128bit cpu's by then:D

Anyway, whatever happened to those 512mb Radeon x800XT's? I remember ATi said they were going to have those sometime soon....

I assume those should be able to run U3 at least as well as a 9600XT will be able to run DooM III.

When I first read it, and saw people talking about 2006, I though it was 2002 and said to myself "Jeeze, 4 years we will have stuff to surpass those expectations"... whoops on my behalf :rolleyes:

I stopped listening to the "OMG *insert highly anticipated game here* is going to require and Geforce 80000, Radeon 10000 just to run acceptably" back shortly after Quake 3 was released.

So in the old days the new generations would generally take two years to arrive and now all suddenly we will have it in 1 year intervals the same performance increases that before took 2 years or more :eek:

I mean how long time did it take between the Geforce 3 and the 9700 PRO? And then I am nice and not saying from Geforce 3 to 5800 FX that came 6 months later or something?

And from 9700 PRO to todays video cards it´s what closer to three than 2 years right?

So the next twice as fast video cards will arrive within a year? Is that really believable?

Isn´t it more viable we will first see a 9800 PRO like jump and then a 9800XT like jump within a year none even remotely close to the 2x performance each truly new gen often brings?

I still say its all bs and their just saying it to get people talking about it. Graphics don't double every year. They did this year, but this doesn't happen often. I mean, how long ago was it when ati went from the 8000 series to the 9000 series. It was not last year.

Yeah something is BS. Unreal 3 available in 2 years is my guess hehe.

2 years if we are lucky. What was the gap in time between Unreal and Unreal 2 again? :rolleyes: By the time it comes out it might not even be very advanced. :D

2 years ago today the top of the line cards from Nvidia and ATI were the Geforce 4ti and the Radeon 8500 respectively.

The 9700 was just around the corner with a mid July release date, but those were the best cards available at the time. Both of those cards will run most games with low or medium settings at 1024x768 still today.

However, keep in mind that those cards were also not $500 cards. They were $200-300 at the time, there were no $500 cards, so these top of the line cards may hold up a little better.

Also I am not that worried about having 256mb or RAM when other cards have 1GB because I doubt there will be any 1GB cards. Today each additional 128MB of top quality ram (and anyone making a 1GB card will use good RAM) increases a cards cost by about $80-$100. 2 years from now, with the fastest ram available, that number will probably not change that much. Even VERY generously assuming $100 per 256MB of top quality ram the RAM portion alone with be $400 for a GB of RAM. Add in probably $300 for a 0.09nm chip and the card itself and you are looking at $700 for a top card with 1GB vs. $500 for one with 512MB.... I just don't see 1GB cards being priced low enough for anyone to program with that much memory in mind for even top of the line cards 2 years from now. Maybe in 3 years, but not in 2.

oqvist said:
Wasn´t the 9700 PRO released in july 2002?

arentol said:
2 years ago today the top of the line cards from Nvidia and ATI were the Geforce 4ti and the Radeon 8500 respectively.

The 9700 was just around the corner with a mid July release date,

Let me double check on the PRO... according to my sources though the 9700 regular was released July 18th.... hold on.

okay now I got what you are saying hehe. Well 9700 PRO didn´t really release until August I think. I guess there was a few lucky that got them in july though.

Well I don´t see the point in not saying we had the 9700 PRO 2 years ago if we are talking days...

Yeah but then we can say that 2 years from now we had the 9700 PRO and now we have X800XT and 6800 ULTRA which is about 120 % faster than the 9700 PRO.

oqvist said:
okay now I got what you are saying hehe. Well 9700 PRO didn´t really release until August I think. I guess there was a few lucky that got them in july though.

Well I don´t see the point in not saying we had the 9700 PRO 2 years ago if we are talking days...

Yeah, I know what you are saying, but you have to consider that if UT3 releases exactly 2 years from today they will really have to primarily program for cards that are released around 15 to 20 months from now, and if RAM prices don't drop considerably then they will also have to program primarily for cards with 512MB of RAM, .

Also I noticed their tech articles talked alot about using normal maps (literally for everything, terrain as well as character models). If they use massive amounts of normal maps like that then it seems likelty they will be using 3dc as well. If big games like that jump on the 3dc wagon then Nvidia may have no choice but to add 3dc support as well. If they don't then who knows, maybe the ATI versions will all look better because of better normal map compression. At the very least Nvidia will have to create their own open standard to try and compete.

Back