Do you think eyefinity will ever support different resolutions?

Mccaula718

Gawd
I used to have dual 19" ws monitors, i wanted a 1080p monster so i went out and bought a 25" Hannspree(re-branded Hanns-g from BB). I had no other use for the 19s so i bought arms and put them in portrait on both sides. A couple weeks after i bought them amd released their new cards.

Do you think they'll ever support different resolutions? I think it would be relatively simple. Almost when you run a different res and it puts black bars around the screen so there is no stretching. My monitors are 1440x900 so all it would have to do is cut off the 360(1440-1080) pixels to work.

A pic if you're curious what it looks like
DSC00441.JPG

I'd like them to allow at least running smaller monitors in portrait mode on the side so long as they are equal in width, to the center monitors height. That would be alright with me as I could use my 30: monitor and grab some cheaper monitors for the sides to increase my FOV.

Kyle, could you forward this request to AMD? I'd be quite interested in this feature as well as I have a 27" inch right now and don't really want to buy 2 more 27". I wouldn't mind buying two more 19" or 22" and putting them in portrait for the same setup as this guy. A bit more fov on the sides and but at much more reasonable cost than 2 more 27" monitors.

My guess is they will never (never say never I know) support what you are asking for. They may someday support what Dan_D is suggesting, where you have monitors with the same vertical height but in a PLP situation (1200x1600 side monitors paired with 2560x1600 center).

I'd like them to allow at least running smaller monitors in portrait mode on the side so long as they are equal in width, to the center monitors height. That would be alright with me as I could use my 30: monitor and grab some cheaper monitors for the sides to increase my FOV.
Two 20's I think would look perfect with a 30 as the main.

I'd love to get a 1920x1200 for the center and two 1600x1200s next to them, or like Erasmus354 said- 2560x1600 with 1600x1200 in portrait. Would be cool and a good deal cheaper. At this point, I'm looking at saving some money to get 2 more 23" displays.

Two 20's I think would look perfect with a 30 as the main.

Yeah two 20" wide screen monitors are right about the same size in terms of width as the 30" is tall. (1680 vs. 1600) So yeah that would work awesome for Eyefinity. It would certainly be cheaper than having to go out and by 2 more 30" Dell monitors to go with the one I already have. It would also give me probably close to the perfect amount of display area for gaming. 3 30" monitors in landscape mode is probably way too wide. Of course you can also go with 3 24's or 30's in portrait mode, but I think that puts the bezels too close together for my tastes. Though I can't say that for certain as I haven't tried gaming on that. I've only played Eyefinity on 3 22" monitors in landscape mode and on 3 projectors which were definitely projecting screen areas over 72" wide each all in landscape mode. That was almost too much to take in. :eek: Of course there are no bezels with projected images like that.

Dang Dan_D- that projector eyefinity experience sounds awesome.... wish I could afford to get 3 1080p projectors to setup pretty much the coolest game setup ever!

and on 3 projectors which were definitely projecting screen areas over 72" wide each all in landscape mode. That was almost too much to take in. :eek: Of course there are no bezels with projected images like that.
For some reason I picture you dying being wowed by the huge display instead of concentrating on the game. :D

Yeah two 20" wide screen monitors are right about the same size in terms of width as the 30" is tall. (1680 vs. 1600) So yeah that would work awesome for Eyefinity. It would certainly be cheaper than having to go out and by 2 more 30" Dell monitors to go with the one I already have. It would also give me probably close to the perfect amount of display area for gaming. 3 30" monitors in landscape mode is probably way too wide. Of course you can also go with 3 24's or 30's in portrait mode, but I think that puts the bezels too close together for my tastes. Though I can't say that for certain as I haven't tried gaming on that. I've only played Eyefinity on 3 22" monitors in landscape mode and on 3 projectors which were definitely projecting screen areas over 72" wide each all in landscape mode. That was almost too much to take in. :eek: Of course there are no bezels with projected images like that.

2 x 20 non widescreens would be even better 1600x1200 and same pixel pitch/size as the 30 :p and exactly the same size (width) as the 30" is in height

2 x 20 non widescreens would be even better 1600x1200 and same pixel pitch/size as the 30 :p and exactly the same size (width) as the 30" is in height

I just measured my non-widescreen 20" LCD and your right. I didn't even think about that. However, are any of those even made anymore?

I just measured my non-widescreen 20" LCD and your right. I didn't even think about that. However, are any of those even made anymore?

Dell 2007FP the A05 is SIPS and the frame matches the 3007-hc perfectly :D

too expensive new, e-bay has them for $180

It took this long just to get 3 monitors of the same res to work together.....I wouldn't keep your hopes up on them getting much more than that ever.

I have a 22" 1680x1050 and two 19" 1280x1024. I'm still ordering an HDMI cable so i'm still just using two monitors.

Right now, the only way i seem to be able to combine them is by reducing the 22" to 1280x1024 so my only option is 3840x1024 :(

4240x1024 would have been nice

A moderator from the ADM Forums wrote a few months ago that mixing different resolutions
will likely be supported in the future but only if the monitors resolution share the same height.
For examples,
1200*1600 + 2560*1600 + 1200*1600 = maybe someday
1050*1680 + 2560*1600 + 1050*1680 = forget it

This is a feature that I am looking forward since a 2*2007FP and 3007FP trio would be the perfect setup.

I've got 3 2007fp S-IPS displays. They day they allow non-matching resolutions, I'm setting them up with a 30. I honestly don't see why this can't be implemented soon. Soft-TH did this, and eyefinity has a MUCH larger dev budget.

A moderator from the ADM Forums wrote a few months ago that mixing different resolutions
will likely be supported in the future but only if the monitors resolution share the same height.
For examples,
1200*1600 + 2560*1600 + 1200*1600 = maybe someday
1050*1680 + 2560*1600 + 1050*1680 = forget it

This is a feature that I am looking forward since a 2*2007FP and 3007FP trio would be the perfect setup.

Is there a way to get the 5850 driver to support custom resolutions? Like a 1680x1024? I'm really not sure why the driver wouldn't be able to just scale it, it's the display driver, it has complete control over the video protocols. If the monitor doesn't support a resolution, it can just scale it either by stretching or adding black bars.

Back