Do you think AMD Pricing structure would collapse upon conroe release?

• Prices would plummet

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • Prices would fall slightly

Votes: 74 53.6%
  • No Effect

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Who cares?!... AMD for life!!

Votes: 18 13.0%

• Total voters

Ockie

*** Self Proclaimed Storage King ***

Intel is already initiating a price war, not even on Conroe yet. Have you see Intel's last and next price lists? Next month, dual core (D 805) hits sub-$100.

July 23, 2006 prices for non-Conroe parts:

dual core
P4D 960 3.6GHz / 800MHz 2x2MB $316
P4D 950 3.4GHz / 800MHz 2x2MB $224
P4D 945 3.4GHz / 800MHz 2x2MB $163
P4D 940 3.2GHz / 800MHz 2x2MB $183
P4D 930 3.0GHz / 800MHz 2x2MB $178 (june price cut)
P4D 920 2.8GHz / 800MHz 2x2MB $178 (june price cut)
P4D 915 2.8GHz / 800MHz 2x2MB $133
P4D 820 2.8GHz / 800MHz 2x1MB $113
P4D 805 2.66GHz / 533MHz 2x1MB $93

single core (6x1 = 65nm parts)
P4 661 3.6GHz / 800MHz 2MB $183
P4 651 3.4GHz / 800MHz 2MB $163
P4 641 3.2GHz / 800MHz 2MB $163
P4 631 3.0GHz / 800MHz 2MB $163
P4 541 3.2GHz / 800MHz 1MB $84
P4 531 3.0GHz / 800MHz 1MB $74
P4 524 3.06GHz / 533MHz 1MB $69

Celeron 356 3.33GHz / 533MHz 512KB $74
Celeron 352 3.2GHz / 533MHz 512KB $69
Celeron 355 3.33GHz / 533MHz 256KB $69
Celeron 351 3.2GHz / 533MHz 256KB $59
Celeron 346 3.06GHz / 533MHz 256KB $54
Celeron 341 2.93GHz / 533MHz 256KB $54

:eek:

Yeah, I think prices are about to collapse. Not that it's a bad thing. :D

Seems like AMD was hit hard in march , april and may by Intel's massive price cuts.We'll see this in their QE which I expect to be really poor for both. :)

starting to think i should have held out to buy my opty 165. i don't care much about AM2, but a cheaper cpu would have been nice.

Considering that the lowest priced X2 is approximately $300 (OEM; Source: Pricegrabber), AMD will have to substantially reduce the pricing of the dual-core line when Intel's new pricing takes effect.

Good news for consumers. Bad news for stockholders (which also happen to be consumers). Ironic isn't it? :(

THRESHIN said:
starting to think i should have held out to buy my opty 165. i don't care much about AM2, but a cheaper cpu would have been nice.

That opty is still a sweet proc. Even if you paid the full retail price, that's still a decent purchase. Now if you paid $1K for a FX...

jarman said:
That opty is still a sweet proc. Even if you paid the full retail price, that's still a decent purchase. Now if you paid $1K for a FX...

If anything the FX62 will drop to $999 mark to match the compeditor. So mildly any drop.

Asian Dub Foundation said:
AMD have to cut price slightly
exactly why i bought a cheap sempron now.. wait for price cuts and 65nm and upgrade later :D

i decided a month or so ago that i will not pay $300 for a dual core..

AMD is its own entity now. I think they're past the days of living in Intel's shadows and they know it. AMD knows they have quality processors that compete very well with similar Intel processors, at least they use to. Based on how well Venice did, along with the acclaimed Opteron OC champs of last year, I don't think AMD will be changing their prices based on Conroe.

I do see a switching of sides for many consumers though. AM2, to me, seems like a flop. Cutting down power consumption is great and all, but where are the performance gains, mild at best. On the other side of the fence, Intel's D805 is the new ocing champ and Conroe possibly bringing more pain to AMD. I know my next system won't be an AMD if pricing stays nearly the same and Intel continues releasing some good procs. We all know we aren't going to spend 250-300 bucks on an X2 when we can get the D805 for <100 and have it oc and get better performance than both flagships (even despite it's much higher power consumption). The point comes even more valid when upgrading from an existing AMD board to the new AM2 and you have to take into account getting new ram along with dealing with the quirks associated with new chipsets whereas Intel's 955/75 have reached a certain level of maturity.

I'd like to see AMD prices come down so they're competitive with Intel, but I'm not holding my breath for it. They'll come down when AMD wants them to.

AMD better drop prices at least 50-75$ for each CPU or else the AMD camp is gonna lose its noobs to intel.

Dillusion said:
AMD better drop prices at least 50-75$ for each CPU or else the AMD camp is gonna lose its noobs to intel.
cause a $50 drop on the fx-62 is such a huge amount :D

(cf)Eclipse said:
cause a $50 drop on the fx-62 is such a huge amount :D
Exactly. That's not even as much as what taxes are in most states for the fx chips. Then again, if ur looking at owning an fx, u probably aren't too concerned with taxes.

Super-b said:
Exactly. That's not even as much as what taxes are in most states for the fx chips. Then again, if ur looking at owning an fx, u probably aren't too concerned with taxes.

order it online :D

Super-b said:
AMD is its own entity now. I think they're past the days of living in Intel's shadows and they know it. AMD knows they have quality processors that compete very well with similar Intel processors, at least they use to. Based on how well Venice did, along with the acclaimed Opteron OC champs of last year, I don't think AMD will be changing their prices based on Conroe.

I do see a switching of sides for many consumers though. AM2, to me, seems like a flop. Cutting down power consumption is great and all, but where are the performance gains, mild at best. On the other side of the fence, Intel's D805 is the new ocing champ and Conroe possibly bringing more pain to AMD. I know my next system won't be an AMD if pricing stays nearly the same and Intel continues releasing some good procs. We all know we aren't going to spend 250-300 bucks on an X2 when we can get the D805 for <100 and have it oc and get better performance than both flagships (even despite it's much higher power consumption). The point comes even more valid when upgrading from an existing AMD board to the new AM2 and you have to take into account getting new ram along with dealing with the quirks associated with new chipsets whereas Intel's 955/75 have reached a certain level of maturity.

I'd like to see AMD prices come down so they're competitive with Intel, but I'm not holding my breath for it. They'll come down when AMD wants them to.

I wouldn't say switching to AM2 was a flop. That transition netted AMD maybe a 5% increase and provided a necessary transition for AMD to DDR2. But when AMD is able to make it's DDR2 memory controller as effecient as it's DDR memory controller (~80-85% of theoretical bandwidth), those faster RAM speeds are really going to pay off. Just compare the AM2 bandwith to Conroe's.

The K8 was and is a great core. Yes, Conroe is performing better, but it had to. It's Intel's new architecture, but it also has some issues. 4MB of L3 (good yes, but how do the benchmarks change if AMD doubles the shared L3 on the K8), a northbridge memory controller, etc.

One thing is for sure though, this is going to be a great year for PCs!

AMD is going to have to respond with very aggressive price cuts in order to stay competitive. Even the biggest AMD fan boy is going to find it hard to justify the FX's $1,000+ price tag when the E6600 at just over $300 will run faster than it.

dotK said:
AMD is going to have to respond with very aggressive price cuts in order to stay competitive. Even the biggest AMD fan boy is going to find it hard to justify the FX's $1,000+ price tag when the E6600 at just over $300 will run faster than it.

AMD will cut prices and they'll range from 15 to 35%. By the end of the year, they'd do more cuts but smaller. They don't operate in a VIOD and they can't afford to loose Market and Mind Share=P

I disagree. There are green glasses wearing AMDroids with bumpper stickers that say; "Athlon onwers make better lovers" who will NEVER buy Intel. There are folks who'll convince their head of PURCHASING to wait for K8L. And many more cases of loyalty to AMD. I do respect the guy who admitted to being a stock holder. I don't respect folks for being Fans out of some misplaced love though.

Donnie27 said:
I disagree. There are green glasses wearing AMDroids with bumpper stickers that say; "Athlon onwers make better lovers" who will NEVER buy Intel. There are folks who'll convince their head of PURCHASING to wait for K8L. And many more cases of loyalty to AMD. I do respect the guy who admitted to being a stock holder. I don't respect folks for being Fans out of some misplaced love though.
just out of curiosity, would you consider me to be one of those types? :D

Guess that's answered: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32304

CHIP FIRM AMD has kicked into price cuts today by slashing prices on 939 and AM2 sockets.

Distributor prices seen by the INQ show that the Athlon 64 3000 will cost $89, the 3200 $99, the 3500 $109, and the 3800 $139.

All socket and AM2 sockets are rebated, we understand from sources close to AMD Asia.

Ha. I sold all my tech stocks off about a week ago so I'm loyalty free now and have a lot more money than I otherwise would have.

DocFaustus said:
I guess he did kinda prove your point.

I have AMDroid buddies but even they just ignore Intel more than they try to belittle or put them down or etc.. As one guy put it, "I'm too busy enjoying my AMD based system to worry about Intel." I see his point. Most of my other buds and I own both AMD and Intel systems. Many of us have 4 to 6, home servers, HTPC, Gaming Rigs and etc..

I promise you, if AMD is kicking Intel's ass next summer and I'm looking to upgrade, I'll buy AMD without a second thought. :) I'm loyal to my wallet first and my computer needs second and would just say screw Intel or AMD, I'm not lucky enough to get free stuff from either. :D

(cf)Eclipse said:
aw :(

well, at least we're getting price drops. i really want the X2s to go down. i need to replace this damn sempron :p

I'm not exactly throwing away my 3500+ after I buy a Conroe, that system will only need another Video card, I have everything else.

Donnie27 said:
I'm loyal to my wallet first and my computer needs second and would just say screw Intel or AMD, I'm not lucky enough to get free stuff from either. :D
me too, which is why i'm buying a 631 based setup to go along with my AM2..

amd's first generation ddr2 memory controller sucks anyway. or at least it does on the semprons :(

whoa great!,
Here in Holland, prices on single cores have gone down 20-35 euro!
the AM2 3800 is now the same price as the 3200 was yesterday! :D
:cool:
*waits for 4000 to get to 130 euro*

...what, a guy can dream

(cf)Eclipse said:
amd's first generation ddr2 memory controller sucks anyway. or at least it does on the semprons :(
I wouldn't be surprised. AMD's DDR controller slowly improved and became faster and more efficient with new core revisions and with higher CPU clocks. We will probably see the same thing happen with AM2 chips over their lifetime.

Donnie27 said:
I'm not lucky enough to get free stuff from either. :D
Speaking of free stuff (or cheap stuff), isn't the lack of interest in the AMD Tech Tour almost deafening? 8 dates have passed and i haven't heard a peep. Maybe it will be back to parking lot giveaways again next year. ;)

pxc said:
Speaking of free stuff (or cheap stuff), isn't the lack of interest in the AMD Tech Tour almost deafening? 8 dates have passed and i haven't heard a peep. Maybe it will be back to parking lot giveaways again next year. ;)

LOL! I noticed!

(cf)Eclipse said:
me too, which is why i'm buying a 631 based setup to go along with my AM2..

That's why I answered that other quest with a big NO! Most of the Fans I'm talking about would never admit that anything AMD makes sucks. We know that controller will mature and some folks don't get it.

I looked at the Cedar Mills as well. But those 9xx are looking real sweet at those July 23 price proints. I know several folks chompin' at the bit waiting for them as well.

AMD's prices will fall a lot more than the current slight cuts. The only bad news is that Conroes will go up :(

yeah.. problem with me is that i need a setup.. preferably by wednesday of next week :(
got an abit board on the way (thanks MAV :D), so that's half of things down..
i've got a kickass set of ram that is running memtest at 520mhz, 4-5-3 timings :cool:

just need the cpu now.

the sub $100 805 is going to continue to hurt amds single core sales. i even venture to say it hurts intels single core sales. yes the 805 clocks very well but even @ 3.9 its not fast enough to take out a 2.5 3800+, benchmarks were posted in the intel section.

if you were to ask me its still a win for intel, a $100 thats nearly as fast as a $300 chip. intel is also becoming very agressive with duel cores. all you see is heavy price cuts on single cores with limited production. amd on the otherhand is still counting (at least a little) on there single cores according to there roadmaps. the point im getting to is single cores are about to become irrevelant, all intels new tech is 2+ cores. amd is starting to shift that direction but not nearly as agressive as intel.

as far as value line its anyones guess, the 805 could hurt the sales of alot of semprons and celeron's. hell even the faster non buss crippled 8xx pentiums are getting very cheap. the 820d should be around $120 or so. those clock pretty well seeing 3.7+ with better performance than the 805's

According to the Inquirer, AMD is going to drop prices as follows:

Athlon 64 3000 - $89
Athlon 64 3200 - $99
Athlon 64 3500 - $109
Athlon 64 3800 - $139

And in conjunction with this price drop, all AM2 processors are supposed to have rebates...

But I don't really trust anything the Inquirer says.

Link here

mrbay said:
According to the Inquirer, AMD is going to drop prices as follows:

Athlon 64 3000 - $89
Athlon 64 3200 - $99
Athlon 64 3500 - $109
Athlon 64 3800 - $139

And in conjunction with this price drop, all AM2 processors are supposed to have rebates...

But I don't really trust anything the Inquirer says.

Link here

Not sure if they meant VAR rebates.

Back