Do You Really Want to Subscribe to Microsoft Office?

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft started trying to push the subscription by limiting what versions of Office install on specific versions of Windows (the Office 2013 desktop client only runs on Windows 7 and newer).

It seems like anyone who needs to run complex equations is hosed (for the moment) on the web-based version. My company just upgraded a couple people to x64/8GB because of Excel. I believe they may even be doing x64 Excel 2010 as well. So the idea that Office 365 is a perfect substitute for a desktop client doesn't hold--365 has less value in certain situations.

I prefer buying a license outright, but that's because I've always gotten student pricing. This was before they hiked prices on the new University SKU (it used to just be "Professional" for $80 or less, can't remember--now it's $99).

Once I am no longer in school, I envision I will either go TechNet ($200/yr) or go into longer-use, buy-as-I-need (depends on whether Windows and Office beyond 7/2010 are worth it to me to buy).

Subscriptions... always paying for something that is never yours. You lose your job and can't pay, no more access to your documents. On top of it all I'm sure your state will charge you sales tax on the thing you are not buying and will never own. Maybe Linux will eventually catch on. It is not my first choice, but I am not going to pay for software like it is one of my utilities.

You can always back up your documents LOCALLY and there are numerous reads and third party free editors that can handle the MS XML format in an emergency (hint, I've been using 360 for over a year now).

I will just keep using good docs and notepad ++.

Yes I know Google is probably data mining me but if they really want my chilli recipe or my resume I really don't care. The most sensitive thing I have up there is some notes on my web servers but its stuff you could find on google. This command does this, this command backs up mysql crap

i would not pay for any type of Office period. If I can get it free, fine which I have always done from school and work but I just dont use it enough on my home computers to ever pay for it if I had to.

The problem I have with cloud computing has been brought to light by NCSoft's actions. They are closing City of Heroes (an mmo) so that they can reorganize their assets to maximize profits. CoH is profitable, but not profitable enough. So like they have done in the past, they close down an mmo and give out 30 day passes out to their other games knowing that some retention will occur. soory started to tangent.

I guess my point is if you don't own the software and all its rights then you have no control over what happens. The company can go out of business, decide they want to repurpose assets or whatever. It's happened in other fields and the customers always get stuck in the end.

The problem I have with cloud computing has been brought to light by NCSoft's actions. They are closing City of Heroes (an mmo) so that they can reorganize their assets to maximize profits. CoH is profitable, but not profitable enough. So like they have done in the past, they close down an mmo and give out 30 day passes out to their other games knowing that some retention will occur. soory started to tangent.

I guess my point is if you don't own the software and all its rights then you have no control over what happens. The company can go out of business, decide they want to repurpose assets or whatever. It's happened in other fields and the customers always get stuck in the end.

What what you're saying is true, it's hard to compare a professional software development company like Microsoft to a little software shop like NCSoft. It'd be like comparing Wal-Mart to a independently owned corner store.

I would much rather pay $3.00/mo for a video game than $60 one time deal for a game that I'll spend 3 weeks playing and then get bored.

Games YES. Productivity software NO.

I can imagine: client needs emergency work done, open photoshop/word: OHSHIT subscription expired. Can't renew for multiple reasons I could think of (no money in paypal bank acct, waiting on new card, just plain broke, etc.)

No thank you, I want to own my license outright on productivity software.

So wait, is this subscription for Office 365 or is it for Office 2013 which you can steam-install and all of that jazz? To me the lure of 365 is to be able to use it across multiple platforms such as your PCs, cell, tablet, etc and the sub for Office 2013 is just a different pricing scheme yet it still has to install itself to your PC.

...note to self go grab the Office 2013 beta to play with

So wait, is this subscription for Office 365 or is it for Office 2013 which you can steam-install and all of that jazz? To me the lure of 365 is to be able to use it across multiple platforms such as your PCs, cell, tablet, etc and the sub for Office 2013 is just a different pricing scheme yet it still has to install itself to your PC.

...note to self go grab the Office 2013 beta to play with

It's both depending on the subscription level. For the less expensive subscriptions, you only end up with web-based versions and they do have limitations which might be a problem for some people. More dollars gets you the web access stuff and a downloadable version of whatever is the current version (2010 right now, but you'll also get an upgrade to 2013 from what I understand).

I would much rather pay $3.00/mo for a video game than $60 one time deal for a game that I'll spend 3 weeks playing and then get bored.

This is more like 5 dollars a month for the game. And the game would be something that would last your for about 3 years. Like a game you'll play a bit for week, not play withit for another 2 or 3, then come back to it for another week, and so on and so forth.

I'll stick with open office :) None of that garbage ribbon interface and I get to keep everything local. it's a win-win

Only way I'd use MS Office is if I had to --- and I just can't see that happening in my life.

Duh? :eek: "Do I want to subscribe to Office like I would a magazine - or continue to buy it like a book?" Not a very smartly stated analogy of comparisons. Should read: "Do I want to subscribed to online news or continue to buy a newspaper and scan it onto my computer?" ;)

I don't even want to know where you're from, but I still buy my magazine - like I purchase a book. As if a magazine is only gotten by subscription. :D

Back