Do you play a sequel if you didn’t play the previous installment?

TheBluePill

2[H]4U
Do you play a sequel if you didn’t play the previous installment?

I have always thought of games in the same light was movies, I hate to play a sequel if I haven’t played through the previous games. Its just a turn off to me. Luckily I have been in on the ground floor for a lot of franchises, but I can see where this might be a turn off for folks just getting in to gaming. Who wants to start off on the 3rd, 4th or 5th of a series when they have no background in the previous games.

Do you think this also limits some game and console sales where there is an abundance of sequel titles without the opportunity to play the first few parts of the series?

If the sequel can give you a quick rundown and just let a player "jump into" the game quickly I don't seem to mind.

There should be something for everyone in sequels, for the fans and the newcomers. If it doesn't, it's possible it was poorly developed mainly from the start: the story line.

i didnot play GTA until #3. no big deal. they aren't really sequels though story wise.

Steel Chicken said:
i didnot play GTA 3. no big deal. they aren't really sequels though story wise.

Thats True, A "Re-invention" of the series is probably a good point to join in, Just like in Duke Nukem 3D or the New Prince of Persia Series, There is no link to the past at all.

I have on a few games can't remember them though. But if I find a game now thats a sequel I will sure to play the first game first because I like the full storie plus I just love games that much :D . BUt not at the moment for PC becuse I need more HD space and none of my local pc stores sell them Harddrives I want in my sig :( .

If one is meant to be a direct continuation of another, then no. Otherwise, I haven't played gunstar heroes but love gunstar super heroes, have played Ikaruga but not Radiant Silvergun (which are only semi-related), played castlevania 3 without playing 1 very much or 2 at all, put an insane amount of time into sf alpha 3 without having played either other alpha. So if the games are meant to continue each other's stories, then no. I still haven't played half life (I know) but am def. going to play it before I try hl2.

i played half life 2 with out ever playing hl. after finishing hl2 (which i liked a lot) i went out and got hl. couldnt really get into it and didnt finish it. still waiting for aftermath...

Never played the original Silent Hill or War Craft, but that sure as hell didn't stop me from playing the bear fat out of the laters. I have no problem with it.

Some games you really don't have to. Depends on the storyline.

SimCity? Nope.

I can't think of any offhand that does. Resident Evil? Metroid?

It doesn't make the game any less fun, but it's cool to know the storyline and the origins...

Final Fantasy series you don't have to. They are all unrelated.

final fantasy 7 was my first FF

but games like PoP you should play the first one first (sands of time that is)

it depends whether the story is related or not i suppose

I don't mind..

example

Castlevania :dawn of sorrow..

it takes place right after Aria of sorrow.. i never played aria of sorrow..

but dawn fo sorrow pretty much tells you what happens in aria of sorrow.. so i didn't care..

that said.. i might just buy aria of sorrow since dawn of sorrow was so good

I started GTA at #2 (then 1 and a few years later, 3). I also started Fallout at 2, then tactics, then 1. I played all the FF games completely out of order (to the point I don't even remember the order), but those don't really depend on the previous ones for story...

Jesus_Faction said:
final fantasy 7 was my first FF

but games like PoP you should play the first one first (sands of time that is)

it depends whether the story is related or not i suppose

correct me if i'm wrong.. but all the FF games have nothing to do with each other.. at least not FF1 - FF7

i havne't played the others..

It would be kind of dumb for a game developer to make a game sequel that only people who played the original would be able to enjoy.

I played Max Payne 2 first and liked it a lot. I am now playing 1 through for the first time, and it doesn't seem to matter what order I play them in. I also played HL2 without ever playing the first one. I don't see the big deal.

rowbear62468 said:
i played half life 2 with out ever playing hl. after finishing hl2 (which i liked a lot) i went out and got hl. couldnt really get into it and didnt finish it. still waiting for aftermath...

Me too, except i played hl awhile ago but didnt bother because i was involved more in CS.

Back