do you personally use official release stock os or roms?

umcpgrad

2[H]4U
discuss

if you use official release os what version are you on?

if you use roms which ones are you using and which ones do you think are the best?

this topic mainly base on androids as you can tell

I used rooted stock roms for a while, but since theres no official ICS rom for my T989 Im on a custom rom for now.

Hmmm.

Droid X I started out with ROMs by the Developer "Fabulous" and moved to Liquid Smooth once 2nd init was achieved. Eventually moved to Gummy ICS by Kejar31 and now use the phone as my Alarm Clock.

Droid Bionic started with Liberty by Kejar31 and moved to the nightly builds of ICS by DHacker29 and Hashcode. Phone is currently doing nothing because it was a piece of shit and is my "backup."

GNex went straight to Liquid Smooth out of the box along with latest radios. This is probably the happiest I've been with my phone SW since the days with my Droid X.

Xoom went straight to TeamEOS 1.0.0 ICS right out of the box. Currently at v2.0.0

Right now I'm very happy with my Xoom/Gnex combination and will probably stick with Nexus devices only for Android in the future.

My Photon 4G is only rooted. I dont know of an ICS feature that would make me want to install a custom rom for it.

Custom, be it AOKP or MIUI or something else.

Right now it's MIUI since they finally got WiMax working.

On my g.nexus I was running stock for a while, but some aokp features pulled me away from stock

Always custom. Right now using Thundershed. Before that a personal custom based on the latest Thunderbolt OTA.

I try stock first since I can't get an easy replacement. I went custom/root on my DROID 2 and it was awesome, then I had an issue wth the battery and accidentally went back to regular, and the new update doesn't allow rooting anymore. And my phone crashes every few hours now, fuck Motorola phones.

Running a custom ROM flashed via backup on my Moto Atrix 2.

Still waiting for ICS!

Always custom, or I'd still be on 2.2 (and even that is pretty new for the official release for my phone). Currently using ICS on my Captivate (CM9 beta).

At the moment I use CM 7.2RC3 on my Galaxy S and it is definitely better than latest official rom available through KIES.

Official... I don't need to tweak the phone. It calls, it browses the web and sometimes some apps do run. Though, it was my first and last android phone (Xperia Arc) - switching to Apollo in fall, so no more problems like this.

Running CM9 ICS 4.0.4 on my Epic4G. So far so good. Battery life could be better though.

discuss

if you use official release os what version are you on?

if you use roms which ones are you using and which ones do you think are the best?

this topic mainly base on androids as you can tell

I look at it this way; If you are one of the unfortunate souls that purchased a Non-Nexus Samsung device (like me), or anything made by Motorola, you have no choice but to run a custom rom.

I'm running a CyanogenMod 9 (ICS) beta for my Exhibit II, though it doesn't have working camera functionality, CM9 has made my phone come alive.

When I first got my Nexus S 4G, I ran stock, unrooted for a total of about 2 months. After I did some reading, I changed my recovery and flashed a custom ROM. I always found Oxygen to be one of the best, if not the best, custom Gingerbread ROMs.

Up until a week ago, I was using the latest AOKP but switched to MIUI once the releases with WiMax started coming out. Used MIUI a bit in the past but right now, I haven't looked back.

If you're on a Nexus no need, otherwise for everything else yes

Not really true. Personally, I find root to be absolutely neccessary, and custom roms like Gummy/AOKP/CM make the GNex run even better than stock.

I look at it this way; If you are one of the unfortunate souls that purchased a Non-Nexus Samsung device (like me), or anything made by Motorola, you have no choice but to run a custom rom.

I'm running a CyanogenMod 9 (ICS) beta for my Exhibit II, though it doesn't have working camera functionality, CM9 has made my phone come alive.

How do you like that phone? Is it fast?

I'm running my gnex stock. I want to get a feel for the phone before I go tweaking it. I've started to read into the various roms out there to see if any offer something I need/want. If not i'll stay stock.

GNex: tried stock for about a month until custom roms started popping up. AOKP first which was ok...tried gummy nex for a while too ,but after cm9 nightlies launched I haven't run anything else. Battery life has gotten really good and a couple new features just got rolled in.

HTC Incredible: CM7

before that I had a HTC Magic that was from Rogers in Canada, but I got it working on AT&T and ran various custom roms...I learned all about android and custom roms on android phones with that one!

virtuous on my g2. I think root is a must for titanium back up at least.

I'm running my gnex stock. I want to get a feel for the phone before I go tweaking it. I've started to read into the various roms out there to see if any offer something I need/want. If not i'll stay stock.

This is what I did with my Gnex for the first month or so I got it and I'm glad I did. In the first week, my phone was randomly rebooting, so I took it back and got it replaced with another one, then used it stock as well for at least a few weeks before rooting/ROMing.

I thought the phone was pretty awesome stock, but wanted to see if ROMs could offer even better functionality; and they do! Now I'm so used to having a search key in my nav bar and fast USB charge (enables your phone to charge at AC speeds from any USB port), there's no way I could go back. There's a lot more to it, but those are the two most fundamental pros for me.

Is a rom/kernel for the gnex going to make it faster or more reliable? I hear something about a franco kernel improving battery life. But as a phone reliability is everything.

Depends on the phone. The stock rom on my droid x was crap, I used the liberty rom.

On my galaxy nexus I use the stock rom because it works fine.

Is a rom/kernel for the gnex going to make it faster or more reliable? I hear something about a franco kernel improving battery life. But as a phone reliability is everything.

Not really, IMO. The Gnex is pretty fast stock/unrooted. Rooting/ROMing is just to add more functionality for the phone. I don't care what testimonials you see online raving about some ROM/Kernels battery life, the difference from stock is negligible. Stock, I got about 4.5-5 hours of constant screen on/awake time when I was using it heavily and battery would drop ~1%/hour when the phone was left in standby with WiFi on. I get about the exact same figures on all the ROMs/kernels I've tried so far. As far as reliability, my Gnex has been just as reliable with all the LV kernels I've used (mostly Leankernel) as it was stock. The only time it reboots is when I use WiFi tethering occasionally and I'm not sure what's causing that yet.

The reason is because the two largest battery drainers on this phone are the display and the cell radios and there's not much any ROM/kernel can do about the power draw on those components. Lowering the CPU voltage isn't going to do much for battery life, esp. if you're actually using the phone. People complaining about bad battery life with specific ROMs rarely are caused by the ROM and are usually caused by a third party app keeping the phone away or some sort of constant syncing (sometimes Google, sometimes another third party app).

I don't care what testimonials you see online raving about some ROM/Kernels battery life, the difference from stock is negligible.

This statement has been untrue of both of my Android phones.

On my current GSM GN I'm getting noticeably better battery life under CM9 with franco kernel than I was with stock.

On my previous phone, an HTC Evo 4G, the difference in battery life between stock and CM7 with Tiamat SBC kernel was night and day. I never could have kept that phone as long as I did if I hadn't moved to a custom ROM.

on my GNex i'm running stock plus 4.0.4 radios, but i've only had it for a week. I'll let the new car smell wear off before I really go to town on it. My Incredible was a different story. vzw screwed around for so long with OTAS that had some pretty significant bugfixes that it was just impossible to go on without upgrading. Tried a few different roms but spent most of my time on it running CM7 and Business GingerSense 3.0

This statement has been untrue of both of my Android phones.

On my current GSM GN I'm getting noticeably better battery life under CM9 with franco kernel than I was with stock.

On my previous phone, an HTC Evo 4G, the difference in battery life between stock and CM7 with Tiamat SBC kernel was night and day. I never could have kept that phone as long as I did if I hadn't moved to a custom ROM.

I was talking mainly about the Gnex. That statement was untrue on my old Moto Droid too, but the display on that phones wasn't near the battery drainer it is on the Gnex.

Unless you do a full write up w/ screen shots comparing both stock/unrooted and rooted/ROM'd (with a LV kernel), both doing identical tasks with identical usage in difference scenarios, I can only take your "noticeably better battery life" claim as opinion and that you're experiencing the placebo effect based on my experience with the Gnex so far. There's just too many variables that affect battery life to say that your ROM is solely responsible for your better battery life. Are you sure you were running the exact same apps and background services as you were when you were stock/unrooted so you can make a fair comparison? Did you keep the phone awake for the same amount of time? Another big factor is battery calibration. Just because you went from 100% to 50% in an hour while stock and 100% to 80% in the same amount of time rooted/ROM'd doesn't necessarily mean you got better battery life. A lot of times the phone reads the battery capacity wrong and is way off; I've seen it drop to ~30% in a couple hours, then take another 2-3 hours to die with the same usage. So that makes it a lot harder to judge whether or not you're actually getting better battery life or not. You have to go through a complete cycle in order to accurately compare it.

Just stating what I've experienced so far.

I was talking mainly about the Gnex. That statement was untrue on my old Moto Droid too, but the display on that phones wasn't near the battery drainer it is on the Gnex.

Unless you do a full write up w/ screen shots comparing both stock/unrooted and rooted/ROM'd (with a LV kernel), both doing identical tasks with identical usage in difference scenarios, I can only take your "noticeably better battery life" claim as opinion and that you're experiencing the placebo effect based on my experience with the Gnex so far. There's just too many variables that affect battery life to say that your ROM is solely responsible for your better battery life. Are you sure you were running the exact same apps and background services as you were when you were stock/unrooted so you can make a fair comparison? Did you keep the phone awake for the same amount of time? Another big factor is battery calibration. Just because you went from 100% to 50% in an hour while stock and 100% to 80% in the same amount of time rooted/ROM'd doesn't necessarily mean you got better battery life. A lot of times the phone reads the battery capacity wrong and is way off; I've seen it drop to ~30% in a couple hours, then take another 2-3 hours to die with the same usage. So that makes it a lot harder to judge whether or not you're actually getting better battery life or not. You have to go through a complete cycle in order to accurately compare it.

Just stating what I've experienced so far.

It's possible. I only used the phone stock for about two weeks before putting CM9 on it, but all the apps were identical.

It's also entirely possible that the nightly builds of CM9 I switched to have more/less accurate battery reporting.

I never run stock for more than a month...and thats just to get the full spectrum of how the phone was built to run by the manufacturer...after that 30 days or so, its on to a custom ROM.

On my Droid X, I actually stayed stock for close to 2 months, but 30 days of that I was at a military school, so it doesnt count...lol Started with Libert v1, then v1.5 and then to v2,0 before moving over to Liquid DX and then Steel Droid, and finally back to Liberty v3.0 where it is at right now with my daughter using it. Battery life is still well within 14-17 hours with moderate use...thats an increase of around 5 hours over stock GB...

Got my Razr about a month ago, and less than 2 weeks after purchase I had already thrown Eclipse GB ROM on it...I wont slap an ICS ROM on until an official ICS release is available for the Dev Community to work from...

No way will I ever run a bone stock phone...whats the fun in that? If I wanted that I would just get an iPhone....

No longer on Android, but my Captivate is still running CM9. No problems save the fact that it drags ass.

But that's any modern ROM on the Captivate at this point. Its just (comparatively) old hardware.

Still slogging around with a Droid 1. Used Bugless for the longest time but the later releases really put a strain on app storage and RAM usage, stuff just didn't work properly. Finally switched to SteelDroid 10.5 by chevy a couple a days ago and it brought this dinosaur back to life. It won't be nearly as hard to keep waiting for the RAZR HD or Incredible 4G with this.

Still need a few days to evaluate battery life but it's no worse than bugless at this point from what I've seen. This is my first foray into a CM based rom and the amount of customization possible is just nuts. Whatever my next phone is, CM will probably be the first thing I try on it when I do flash a custom ROM.

I use Checkrom (GB based) on my Galaxy SII with a bunch of battery life tweaks I found on XDA. It's the only way I have been able to eek a usable battery life out of this phone. ICS is absolutely miserable for battery life and slow to boot.

I left my Nexus unrooted and stock. Too many roms are half baked and unreliable because they push things too far. Getting rid of ads is really the only thing I miss rooting for.

I left my Nexus unrooted and stock. Too many roms are half baked and unreliable because they push things too far. Getting rid of ads is really the only thing I miss rooting for.

Not sure what roms you're flashing, but I find Gummy, AOKP and Apex damn near flawless on my device.

I am using AmeriCandroid SD on my HTC HD2. This is still my everyday phone and battery life is good considering it's still running off the SD. This build is so stable that I have yet to buy a single native android phone and I won't till this puppy croaks on me. Though, the One-X and S3 do look pretty swank.

With up-to-date Titanium Backup's on my PC's hardrive and the ability to remotely wipe my phone if it ever was lost has made this phone the most reliable and stress-free one I have ever had.

Not sure what roms you're flashing, but I find Gummy, AOKP and Apex damn near flawless on my device.
My Nexus is flawless....not damn near, it's flawless. Why would I dick with it and make it "damn near" flawless?

Back