Do you pay for apps?

Ashton

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 13, 2004
Messages
2,514
This is something that came to my mind when today I paid the $1.99 for the (nearly identical to free) version of an app (iFileExplorer HD) and I'm wondering how many people on here will pay the dollar or two for an app when there is a similar free version (mainly just removing adverts, supporting the dev, or gaining just 1 or 2 minor features)

Likewise would you pay for a version of an iPhone app that's been optimized for iPad, or just live with the tiny screen (or pixelated "2x" zoom option)?
 
I rarely buy apps for my iPad. Only ones were Texas Hold'em and Air Video apps. I get along pretty good just using the free apps.
 
yeah, I don't mind spending money. It depends on the app though
 
I just spent 2.99 for remote mouse for my iPad. Great app and way cheaper than a new htpc keyboard/remote.
 
The Dictionary App I had been using was updated to include bigger, more annoying ads placed in the center of the page. So I just bought a dictionary app as I didn't care for any of the other free ones.

I also bought the starwalk app a while back. Then I've bought a couple of games.
 
I buy apps that are worthy. Mainly reviews, other people having them or I've used the trial app and liked it.
 
Same here. I actually get annoyed when an app I use or game I play often only has a free, ad-supported version; I'm willing to pay, Mr. Developer, so give me the chance!

If its an app I use a lot I usually pay to get rid of the ads.
 
I've bought quite a few when they are on sale, and I've got a slew of games I've purchased (mostly from EA) for $0.99 and never played. Other than Air Video, I can't think of an app that I've been more happy to pay for since almost everything else has a useful replay of a few days.
 
Yeah I pay for apps. When I think back to paying 50cents to a dollar for one game in an arcade most apps are incredibly cheap.
 
I usually don't pay to remove ads. iAds are generally unobtrusive and sometimes — sometimes — worth tapping.
 
Yes, I do pay for apps. There’s a lot of stuff on the App Store worth the money, and iOS users in general are willing to open their wallets.

I do wish Square-Enix would cut their prices, though.
 
I've never upgraded an ad supported app. Nothing against it... I do pay for apps that are fully functioning.
 
I buy a lot of apps / games. If there is a review and it looks solid i'll buy. That said, there is usually a price threshold for an app or game for me.
 
I do buy a lot of games and anything I think I could use at school. Also, if you follow iOS developers on Twitter, they usually hand out free codes for their apps. I paid for StarWalk for iPhone, got the iPad version free from the dev team.
 
Yes, I pay for apps regularly. I think it's funny how people spend $3+ everyday on coffee, but think $1 for an app is asking too much.
 
If I like the app, i will pay for the "premium" version of the app.

If it's an app that only has a paid version, if the app is cheap enough I will outright buy it and eat the cost if I don't like it. But, if it's anymore than say $9.99 I have to read up on it.
 
Sure, I buy Apple and Android apps if I like them. A few bucks is worth it to reward good work.
 
skip the burger for a day or two and cook food at home than buy app, starving student so have to take care of budget.
 
What pisses me off is the addition of ads AFTER I had the app and upgrade to a "newer" version, they don't mention that in the changelog and it pisses me off. A great example is the Justin.tv app, v2.1 was awesome, but 2.2+ has been a horrible experience plus it's not free anymore, FFFUUUU. Along with a few other apps
 
I'm extremely particular when having to actually pay for an app, but that's just the same as when I purchase software in general. Just because I'm spending a couple dollars rather than between $30 and $65 doesn't meant that I'm willing to blow the money.

If there is a fee version that doesn't add much over the free version other than removing ads, I'm going the free route. I doubt that there is much money lost (if any) for the developer when I do this, as he's getting revenue from the ads. (to the best of my understanding)
 
Are we talking ios devices?

I just today ran across this link to look up your purchase history, below. I have a total of $95.89 spent on apps. I thought it was a lot more but the surprise was I spent so much ($69.99) for tomtom us/canada back in the day ($49.99 now). Really to me it means all the other apps I paid for are just so inexpensive it is a non issue to pay for what you need. I just paid a cheap $30 yesterday for borderlands on steam which was slightly more than ALL the other apps I have bought under ios combined. I may not like some of apples business practices but I think they get a lot of the consumer/customer experience right.

A good tip I ran across; If you run into an app you want but don't need right away stick it in AppShopper by flexibits. If the history they list say it goes on sale now and again just wait on the alert to get it on sale.


HTTP://support.apple.com/kb/HT2727

Direct link: itms://phobos.apple.com/purchaseHistory
Use on computer you have itunes account on.

Me: $95.89 total, first purchase April 2010, settings says I have 90 apps on the device.
 
Yes.

What do you expect to not use any software? :rolleyes:

This question is silly :D
 
Are we talking ios devices?

I just today ran across this link to look up your purchase history, below. I have a total of $95.89 spent on apps. I thought it was a lot more but the surprise was I spent so much ($69.99) for tomtom us/canada back in the day ($49.99 now). Really to me it means all the other apps I paid for are just so inexpensive it is a non issue to pay for what you need. I just paid a cheap $30 yesterday for borderlands on steam which was slightly more than ALL the other apps I have bought under ios combined. I may not like some of apples business practices but I think they get a lot of the consumer/customer experience right.

A good tip I ran across; If you run into an app you want but don't need right away stick it in AppShopper by flexibits. If the history they list say it goes on sale now and again just wait on the alert to get it on sale.


HTTP://support.apple.com/kb/HT2727

Direct link: itms://phobos.apple.com/purchaseHistory
Use on computer you have itunes account on.

Me: $95.89 total, first purchase April 2010, settings says I have 90 apps on the device.

Mine is way too many pages to calculate. :(
 
I use my iPad 2 for work so I don't mind shelling out a little cash for an app that will make my life easier. I do training sessions and I do a lot of things with it. I just wish my job paid for the iPad, though.
 
Are we talking ios devices?

I made the topic about iOS devices, but Android and any other mobile platform that offers Free + Paid versions of apps is welcome.

Yes.
What do you expect to not use any software? :rolleyes:
This question is silly :D

Well, outside of Air Video (which at this point I think basically everyone who uses iPad/iphone buys) I never purchased another app. I always sought out free ones, even if they had reduced functionality (sometimes using upto 3 free ones to get the same functions as 1 paid one) So I was wondering how many [H]-ers shared the "free only, even if it takes 3 for functions of 1 paid" philosophy, and how many jsut went "eh, I'll just skip the fries at lunch tomorrow" and buy apps they like
 
Yup, if they are good apps, and I use frequently, will pay for a premium, no-ad version.

2.99 for MobileRSS Pro
0.99 for Tunein Radio Pro
9.99 for BeeJiveIM
3.99 for TWC Max
5.99 for Infinity Blade
2.99 for Forums (forum reader app that doesn't require host to install plugins)

26.94 total

Was up in mountains this weekend, no signal, directions failed... had to fish old school Garmin out of trunk. Might... be in the market for full map app that stores on fphone. Used to have full Garmin app on old old WinMo phone.
 
If the app is worth it will buy it, very few apps so far have been worth it over a free version available. The most I would ever spend on an app is $5, so far it's usually $1-2 for the apps I buy.
 
I always sought out free ones, even if they had reduced functionality (sometimes using upto 3 free ones to get the same functions as 1 paid one) So I was wondering how many [H]-ers shared the "free only, even if it takes 3 for functions of 1 paid" philosophy, and how many jsut went "eh, I'll just skip the fries at lunch tomorrow" and buy apps they like

No, I really value and reward an app that does what it is supposed to and I don't reward stuff that is crappy. Example is I messed around with more than a few middling IM apps and finally settled on IM+ Pro, a paid app that is really good at what it does.

The one exception I have to that is using Fuze messenger to reach office communicator for work. It is a terrible IM app but the only free one I have found that does OCS. I only use it because I figure work should give me a solution if they want me to use the thing away from the computer.
 
Yes, I pay for apps regularly. I think it's funny how people spend $3+ everyday on coffee, but think $1 for an app is asking too much.

Pretty much how I see it. I frequently buy apps. Of course I love to try before I buy but I rely more on reviews and my own instincts to get good software. Same goes for Mac apps.

Though it does help to have a job.
 
I made the topic about iOS devices, but Android and any other mobile platform that offers Free + Paid versions of apps is welcome.



Well, outside of Air Video (which at this point I think basically everyone who uses iPad/iphone buys) I never purchased another app. I always sought out free ones, even if they had reduced functionality (sometimes using upto 3 free ones to get the same functions as 1 paid one) So I was wondering how many [H]-ers shared the "free only, even if it takes 3 for functions of 1 paid" philosophy, and how many jsut went "eh, I'll just skip the fries at lunch tomorrow" and buy apps they like

Sorry, I value my time I guess... so much i`ll spend a few hundred pennies ;)

Basically anything is an "App" nowadays it seems... I have well over 200$ spent in the last couple months through the App Store. Probably <20$ in games, the rest business/related type Apps. I will check the web for the same thing to save $ over buying it from App Store. For instance VMWare Fusion 3 is much cheaper on Amazon.
 
I bought apps when I had my iPad and my fiance buys apps for her iphone.


Yes, I pay for apps regularly. I think it's funny how people spend $3+ everyday on coffee, but think $1 for an app is asking too much.

Pretty much how I see it. I frequently buy apps. Of course I love to try before I buy but I rely more on reviews and my own instincts to get good software. Same goes for Mac apps.

Though it does help to have a job.

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/apps

Best representation of apps lol.
 
I've bought dozens of $1.99 iPad apps, and about a dozen that much more than that.

If there is a free version, I'll try that first. If I like it, I'll toss the Dev the 2 bucks.
 
I always like to support the developers... What's $0.99 right?

Are iPad apps always $1.99? Usually?
 
Yup, if they are good apps, and I use frequently, will pay for a premium, no-ad version.

2.99 for MobileRSS Pro
0.99 for Tunein Radio Pro
9.99 for BeeJiveIM
3.99 for TWC Max
5.99 for Infinity Blade
2.99 for Forums (forum reader app that doesn't require host to install plugins)

26.94 total

Was up in mountains this weekend, no signal, directions failed... had to fish old school Garmin out of trunk. Might... be in the market for full map app that stores on fphone. Used to have full Garmin app on old old WinMo phone.
1.99 for iMapMyRide+
1.99 for RageHD

Found a mapping system and free! NavFree USA, uses OpenStreetMaps project, works great, entire USA map database locally inside phone.
 
Navfree maps seem out of date and the interface is clunky / laggy but yes free and works offline. Be aware it is a 1.6gig download! I find tomtom is superior in every way but it costs.
 
Back
Top