Do You Have The Brains For Cybersecurity?

Do you have the brains for cybersecurity? Take these tests to find out! I gave up after failing the first test. ;)

Use each symbol, get the character above it, assembled you get;

CODEBREAKING during WW2

The possible answers were HMGCC, MI5, and Bletchley

Bletchley Park was the central site for Britain's codebreakers during World War Two.
Bletchley Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is what I came up with, but without an understanding of British Intelligence Service histories, your not getting their from here I don't think, I had Google.

Fibonacci sequence
up his sleevies
in the 18th century, freemasons used pig pen ciphers to keep their private records.

Last edited:
The first one was easy and kmew what the answer was after the first four letters (code) but I didn't even bother with the rest of them and doubt I would have got them. Don't have the patience for it.

Challenge #5 Question
T H E
P E R I O D I C
T A B L E
I S
A
T A B U L A R
A R R A N G E M E N T
O F
T H E
C H E M I C A L
E L E M E N T S
O R G A N I S E D
O N
T H E
B A S I S
O F
T H E I R
A T O M I C
N U M B E R S
E L E C T R O N
C O N F I G U R A T I O N S
A N D
R E C U R R I N G
C H E M I C A L
P R O P E R T I E S
W E V E
U S E D
I T
T O
C R E A T E
U
A
C I P H E R
B Y
U S I N G
T H E
I N I T I A L
L E T T E R S
O F
T H E
E L E M E N T S
B U T
T W O
L E T T E R S
C A N T
B E
U S E D
W H A T
A R E
T H E Y
Answer
J Q

At that, I'm bowing out. 6 looks waaaay too hard.

EDIT: I lied. It's bothering me now, so I took a crack at Challenge 6 puzzle 1.
Answer
"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here

Last edited:
Well it's multiple choice answer right? Within about 10 - 15 seconds I guessed:

Bletchley Turing Algorithm

How I got the answers:

I spent most of the time drawing connections between the mulitiple choice answers, since there are 3 different, yet related questions. I took a 10 second look at the A=1, B=2, C=@ stuff and was like wtf? I assumed it was a red herring, discarded it and broke down the English part into:

Where was the centre of _______

The Man who designed the machine_______

By a process of elimination I crossed of firmware ( since that's a new concept that didn't exist during Turing's time, I crossed of transistor, since they were ( from what I remember ) using vacuum tube technology, which was the precursor to the electrical transistor... so I was left with Agorithm

I'm British-Canadian and my father worked on the motherboards, that went into satellites, that went into space. Circa 1983 he would disappear and come back talking about submarines. He worked on Trafalgar Class submarines for the British Ministry of Defense:

Trafalgar-class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the test is a bit shitty because it's pro Nationalism ( Nationalism-bias ) and history-computer-cryptanalysis-military warfare biased.

If you are accepted to do A-Levels ( Advanced Level ) papers, they used psychological warfare on the tests so I mean... don't be surprised if a British test is filling your head with a bunch of meaningless shit that might be a Red Herring

A-level - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I may be completely wrong about the answer since I'd rather play PARAGON and I failed Advanced Math - it doesn't interest me at all.

Well it's multiple choice answer right? Within about 10 - 15 seconds I guessed:

Bletchley Turing Algorithm

How I got the answers:

I spent most of the time drawing connections between the mulitiple choice answers, since there are 3 different, yet related questions. I took a 10 second look at the A=1, B=2, C=@ stuff and was like wtf? I assumed it was a red herring, discarded it and broke down the English part into:

Where was the centre of _______

The Man who designed the machine_______

By a process of elimination I crossed of firmware ( since that's a new concept that didn't exist during Turing's time, I crossed of transistor, since they were ( from what I remember ) using vacuum tube technology, which was the precursor to the electrical transistor... so I was left with Agorithm

I'm British-Canadian and my father worked on the motherboards, that went into satellites, that went into space. Circa 1983 he would disappear and come back talking about submarines. He worked on Trafalgar Class submarines for the British Ministry of Defense:

Trafalgar-class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the test is a bit shitty because it's pro Nationalism ( Nationalism-bias ) and history-computer-cryptanalysis-military warfare biased.

If you are accepted to do A-Levels ( Advanced Level ) papers, they used psychological warfare on the tests so I mean... don't be surprised if a British test is filling your head with a bunch of meaningless shit that might be a Red Herring

A-level - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I may be completely wrong about the answer since I'd rather play PARAGON and I failed Advanced Math - it doesn't interest me at all.

It is no red herring, Icpiper explained how you use the code. Your answers are correct aside from the last one, question 3 works out as "BUILDING block of ELECTRONIC devices is the" Transistor is correct.

Last edited:
i got 102 on my cybersecurity midterm, im a cybersecurity genius!

yeah this is for crypto nerds, not cybersecurity/infosec..

heh i could figure out with even bothering with the single replace cypher....

Huh, somehow I've been doing cybersecurity over a decade, and yet, can't remember a single time I had to decode random puzzles. I have had to decode C2, but that was by reversing the implants encraption, not by brute forcing the codes...

Huh, somehow I've been doing cybersecurity over a decade, and yet, can't remember a single time I had to decode random puzzles. I have had to decode C2, but that was by reversing the implants encraption, not by brute forcing the codes...

There are wildly different levels of cybersecurity work.

What they are saying in this article is that these types of analytic challenges are useful in training the mind for the higher level cybersecurity work. Developing answers/solutions from incomplete problems.

Back