Do you have kids that game?

stamsek

[H]F Junkie
My daughter is 4 and loves to play Spider-Man 3 and FlatOut 2 on the PC.

I'd be careful posting pictures like that nowadays, all those sicko child predators ... :(

I agree with anvl, lots of sicko's out there.

To answer your question, yes. I have an 11 year old son who is a gamer. He started gaming when he was about your daughter's age, but I'd only let him play Disney stuff at that time. He's had his own PC since about that time. By the time he was 6 or 7, we'd gotten him a gamecube and he was into Mario. He plays Xbox 360 and PC games now. RPG, FPS and RTS games. He's playing Crackdown on the Xbox 360 and Overlord on the PC at this time and lovin both.

jstamsek : very cute girl you have ! you must be proud!

for the topic i have to say i dont have any kids , but have talk about that subject with my girlfriend. Her tought? she dont want her kids to play games altogether...

i need to change her mind

Nope, but I wonder about how it'll work out when I do have kids. I don't know how much time I'll have to play games after I have a kid, and if I do come up with free time, I'm guessing the kid will already be playing. I sure hope co-op play becomes more commonplace by then >.<

What kind of approach did you guys take with this?

My oldest son, who will be 17 in just a couple of days, has been playing game since the days of doom 2. Maybe I'm a bad father but I didn't see a problem with him playing that game and others like it. He's turned into a pretty good kid in my opinion.

I also have a 5 year old boy that's been playing Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 since he was four. He's pretty good at them too.

My 4 year old girl plays some but she's more interested in her dolls at the moment which is fine by me if that's what she wants.

Both my children (6 in sept for my son, daughter is 3) play games. My son's fave game is Super Smash Bros. Melee, and he can get to the last guy pretty much all by himself (this includes getting all the targets on the bonus level by himself). The daughter hasn't quite got it down yet. The boy also plays one of the motorcycle games, and i'm thinking of picking up Mario Kart for him (might do that today).

I have a son that is 6, he has been playing games on my PC and PS1 and 2 since he was like 3. Some might think me bad for this, but I let him play pretty much anything I do. He used to play CS:S, DOD, UT2k4. Now its BF2142, WoW, and DDO. He also loves any Lord of the Rings games, Yu Gi Oh, and hunting games.

He's very well behaved, but my wife and I take the effort to discipline him, and teach him right and wrong, and reality vs. games.

In a few years he will definitely be kicking my butt in shooters.

My oldest son, who will be 17 in just a couple of days, has been playing game since the days of doom 2. Maybe I'm a bad father but I didn't see a problem with him playing that game and others like it. He's turned into a pretty good kid in my opinion.

If you hear rustlin' in your bushes outside call the police and tell them you've caught Jack Thompson.

I think it's cool that parents let kids play games if thats what makes them happy, I think my suggestion would be to start off young kids with a console and some multiplayer games so they can get their friends around in on the action and show them it can be a very sociable thing.

Try and stick to age restrictions where possible but don't be too anal about it, I think a 14 year old playing a 15 rated game is fine, but handing off GTA3 to small kids is probably a bad idea.

Get in on the action as well, as a child growing up with only one parent I had a massive urge to find someone who was interested in the same kind of thing, especially when I started being more creative on my PC with mapping for unreal etc. I would have loved to have a father figure who sat down and played coop games with me, that would have been so cool.

Lastly, come back to the forums when your child finally kicks your ass in a game and tell us all about it, I would love to hear storys of long time gamers having kids who can deal the damage back and make their parents feel like newbs :D

I've got a 2 and 3 year old who love to play Mario Kart DD on the Gamecube. They're not that good, but the 3 year old can get his car around the track...eventually. The 2 year just loves running into everything though.

Expecting the birth of my first, (a daughter) and I've already got an extra WiiMote with her name on it. I'm also in the process of building/modding out a PC case for her. :D

my luck it'll only be used to play Barbie's dream house or something ;)

There are benefits to gaming. Heightened reflexes, problem solving skills, observation of details.

All my kids game -
PC, Console, Cards, Board, RPG... in various degrees and we have fun doing it too.

My oldest daughter and I founded a LAN group over 5 years ago and it's still going. My middle daughter prefers the mindless stuff and likes to have fun. My youngest has been lanning since she was 4... thinks it's perfectly normal to drag your computer somewhere and game for a weekend.

The key is to Game with them...

jstamsek : very cute girl you have ! you must be proud!

for the topic i have to say i dont have any kids , but have talk about that subject with my girlfriend. Her tought? she dont want her kids to play games altogether...

i need to change her mind

yea i think you need to find a new girlfriend :(

Expecting the birth of my first, (a daughter) and I've already got an extra WiiMote with her name on it. I'm also in the process of building/modding out a PC case for her. :D

my luck it'll only be used to play Barbie's dream house or something ;)

not even born and already has her first PC mod... thats [H]ardCore

I'm only 24, no kids... however I do plan on gaming with them once I do find that special lady and get myself some Mini-Mes' ...

My 4 year old daughter has her own computer and she loves to play games. She has Winnie the Pooh, Mickey Mouse, and My Little Pony games. She is really good at all of them.

Yes, she is 19 now and going to college this fall.. We lan it up at least once week at home, sometimes more than that.. Sometimes we team up against others online.. All sorts of games from racing to fps, since she was 10...
She got decent grades in school, (A's & B's mostly), had a typical number of boy friends in high school (a couple them I am pretty sure I should have killed), never caused us more than the expected amount of troubles,(my poor car didn't deserve to die like that).. She is a pretty good kid, (I ain't never had to bail her out of jail) :D ...
So I really never bought into the "video games made me do it" shit.. Hmm, she watches very little tv, maybe that had something to do with her turning out fairly well..

my little bundle was born in 91 and I had her on the sega playing toe jam and earl before she was 2. she only understood back n forth but I was proud hehe

kids that game is like saying does a bear shit in the woods. they may be more computer whores than we will be!

I have 4 kids and all are gamers, my oldest daughter (17) is mostly into the Sim2 though. My other kids 13, 11 and 5, (boy, girl, boy) game with me all the time. I have 4 computers on a lan setup with a 5th to run dedacated server games when thats an option.

I don't have kids yet (20) but as soon as they are old enough to hold a mouse...

its play time, baby! (no pun intended)

My one "kid" is 20 years old now and plays sniper in our DoD:S clan.

I have 2 kids 10 (girl) & 14 (boy) both of them play games. My daughter only place once in awhile on her x-box and then a few small goofy games on the computer. My son plays all types of games on his Xbox 360 and then on the computer as well. He and I both play Lord of the Rings Online together. He had been begging me years to play online games so I finally found one that I am comfortable letting him play with me so that I can keep an eye on him. The online gaming community can be pretty cruel at times then there are times everyone is nice as can be.

There are benefits to gaming. Heightened reflexes, problem solving skills, observation of details.
And early onset of RSI/CTS problems if a kid isn't taught moderation and restraint. That's what really scares me about younger and younger kids getting into computers. :(

And early onset of RSI/CTS problems if a kid isn't taught moderation and restraint. That's what really scares me about younger and younger kids getting into computers. :(

I am a firm believer regarding moderation of all things.

I got my kids into gaming early on. They were about 4 too. I needed sniper practice in Halo and they made good running targets at the time.... Now they are 7 & 8 and game away with me... We just got though going through a few games of Super Stardust HD on the old PS3.... :D

Yes my 6 year old son(started him at 3 years old) likes to game, more than me which is scary, he likes playing WoW, BF2, and other but i try to keep him on games more for his age, but on a good note it makes him want to read more so he can play the games for older kids.

I got my kids into gaming early on. They were about 4 too. I needed sniper practice in Halo and they made good running targets at the time.... Now they are 7 & 8 and game away with me... We just got though going through a few games of Super Stardust HD on the old PS3.... :D

Using your kids for target practice LOL. :D

My 6 year old has been gaming for 6 years now. =D

Last month, he played most of the way through Halo and then we finished it up co-op when I got home from work one day. He got me to use the rifle bash more than I ever have as that became his signature move. He killed more Covenant smacking them upside the head instead of shooting them.

I've been digging through a list of all the other co-op games out there and we just started Champions of Norrath.

I've really struggled with the idea of introducing video games to my kids early on. Since I grew up with the Atari and Nintendo, and many console systems and computer builds since, I will always be a gamer. I would have never guessed I would be almost 30, not to mention a high school teacher, and still game 20 hours a week. At times, it has taken a toll on my social life and tested my resolve in OCD control. The bad habit started in high school when I would put 4 hour sessions into doom, duke nukem, and civilization. It worsened in college with warcraft and quake. And it almost led to my demise with everquest. Now I stay away from MMOs and still enjoy casual gaming. But the term casual is completely relative. Many non-gamers would consider me a nut for putting 20 hours a week into games like guitar hero 2.

I wouldn't want my son (when I eventually have one) to lose track of certain aspects of his life in his pursuit of gaming godliness. I guess I could teach him to manage his time well, show him how to balance school, social skills, and gaming. But I fear that he'll suffer from the same mistakes that I made.

Here I am, not even engaged yet, and already worrying about my future son's gaming habits. Heh.

I've really struggled with the idea of introducing video games to my kids early on. Since I grew up with the Atari and Nintendo, and many console systems and computer builds since, I will always be a gamer. I would have never guessed I would be almost 30, not to mention a high school teacher, and still game 20 hours a week.

I'm 35 and a pediatrician and my kids have been gaming since they could run a mouse. During residency when my oldest was only 4 months of age I'd raid in the original EQ in the wee hours of the nights when he couldn't sleep. I became quite adept at running the game with one hand, and comforting him with the other.

Since I'm a gamer, my kids have been introduced to it at an early age. But, I've been careful to monitor what they are playing and limit their time on the computer. I also try to be aware of them when I'm playing a game so they don't walk in when I'm killing zombies and get freaked out...though one of my daughter's favorite things to read/look at is the Marvel Zombies hardcover...that will teach me to pick up my stuff when I'm not at home.

Have 2 sons myself. One 5 years and the other <1. The one that is 5 has had his own computer for the last year and a half and he's pretty proficient at flatout 2, BF2, and BF2142 (pretty much any FPS with the keyboard and mouse).
Before the age of 4 he knew how to turn on the computer, launch BF2, sign on (if the password was saved), joing a multiplayer server, pick his weapon, and choose a starting point. Sometimes I wonder if this is a good thing or bad thing. I always wondered if the person getting fragged knew a 4 year old just took them out.
I must admit it's a weird feeling when your toddler tells you to get in the jeep as the gunner while he drives. He also suprised me when we were in a group sniping on top off a building once as a squad. I was a medic, brother in law was a sniper, and he was an AT. We were taking out enemies from below for a good 15 minutes until both my brother in law and I got sniped from afar after a good run. We were on team speak and were cracking up about the good run we all had, when all of sudden we were both revived. Turns out my 4 year old dropped his AT, picked up my medic kit, and revived us both without even double taking. That blew my mind.
Either case I got a chuckle when he was going to day care and they tried Introducing him to a "computer." When I picked him up he said the computer here is missing battelfield dad:)
We try to limit his gaming though just to be on the safe side. So he usually only gets on a few times a month for a 30 minute max session.

Back