Do you hate widescreen? Are you male?

In all honesty, I'm a fan of 4:3. If everything used that format, I'd *never* get a widescreen. For me I'd rather have a 1:1 even. I think a square is simply a more natural idea.
Widescreen's great because movies are shot in it...but if they weren't and used 4:3 instead, I'd be 100X happier.
I've got a 16:9 HDTV and while it's nice...I just feel like the camerawork feels "too low." Unless you're dealing with a gigantic panorama scene, it feels like there's a lot of space that's just not needed.

Male
1920 x 1200 on 24" Dell 2405.

Once you go wide, you don't go back. Seriously.

20 year old male.

2 2005FPWs on my desk, cant wait till I can afford a 1080p TV. 4:3 is the bain of my existance.

I have a widescreen HDTV which is great and I prefer movies that way, but for computing I'm sticking with 4:3 for now. My 21" CRT displays at 1600x1200, more pixels than a 20" widescreen would provide, and it was half the price. I will make the switch to WS once LCDs become cheaper and widescreen becomes more of a standard, but for now I'm using 4:3. And yes, I am male.

male hybrid

1680x1050

new convert , just got a:

BenQ FP202W Black 20.1" DVI 8ms Widescreen LCD Monitor for free ..yay

[F]old|[H]ard

I have to agree with Domingo. 1:1 would be great. Just stretch 80*25 characters over that and I'm good to go.

my wife hates widescreen but I insist we only buy widescreen DVD's as the HDTV is in the near future. on the pc side both using crap 17" monitors at 1280x1024 so you know thats an eye strain.

cieje said:
For content created in widescreen, you gain 45% more viewable area opposed to watching the same content in 1.33 (4:3) ratio. That's the area lost when converted to pan & scan.

[...] This results in a panoramic view that when used properly can add a greater perception of the environment and mood of a movie.

Similarly if content is created for a 4:3 display, and shown on a widescreen, you are losing potential display area (--black boxes down the sides--).

"panoramic" is certainly a nice buzzword to toss around, but I'd prefer content was created in an aspect ratio that fits my vision more or less. That way, I am able to focus on more without having to move my eyes. As far as I can tell this is fairly circular. Someone suggested a square display earlier. That seems like a nice compromise (as making a circular display could potentially be difficult).

Ideally in the future displays are zero gravity hollow spheres you can enter. That way no matter where you look you see display. Alternatively it would be neat to plug an A/V output directly into your brain... I can hope.

Anyway, here are my stats:
Male,
1920*1200 + 1600*1200 = 3520*1200

jimmyb said:
Alternatively it would be neat to plug an A/V output directly into your brain... I can hope.
The technology is closer than you think; there are trial runs going on for a camera that plugs directly into the brain for people who have lost their natural ability to see.
Replace the camera with the VGA output from your computer, and you are another step closer to being "in" a game.

Check this out:
Already we can record electrical signals from the brain and have even been able to use them to manipulate external objects – especially useful of victims of paralysis. What if we could read visual signals as well? Or better yet, read and write them directly to the brain – bypassing the eyes?

All kinds of benefits come to mind: Blind people could see, vision could be “shared” among a group of people – TV without the set - and describing something in your “mind’s eye” would no longer require clunky, primitive graphics manipulation. You would simply need to visualize what you wanted and connected persons would see it exactly as you do.
Link to the rest of this article: http://nextinnovator.com/index.php?articleID=5806&sectionID=21

velusip said:
This is a strange study. It's like asking a group of 100 men from downtown San Francisco if they would marry another man for tax benifits. There's some bias.

Asking hardforumers questions regarding marketable gimmicks, technology, and size is a terrible way to gather data for anything. Especially if it involves some kind of arbitrarily quantitative and barely comparable medium commonly juxtaposed in the form of a pissing contest. Unless you need to know "how damn gullible people are these days" or "what do the rich kids do with their immense allowance" you might want to come up with a better topic for a paper.
I
And to try to compare males and females regarding instinct and screen aspect ratio... no, just no. People want wide screen because it resembles the movie theatre. Everyone loves a wide, badass movie due to the encompassing, immersive experience... especially the predominately male community that stinks up hardforum.

... ... 4:3 all the way! ;P

Feminist Nazi!!

J/K
:D

Male-1680x1050 16:10 best monitor ive owned yet- im gonna marry my monitor this weekend (small private reception) :D :D

way to revive a 2 1/2 month old thread Angry Bear :p

But shit might as well toss my info in.

Male 21yr
WIdescreen
1440x900

I forgot to add to my post that I love widescreen .. I feel like I'm missing out on something when it's in 4:3 anymore nowadays ...

Male
straight :D
Widescreen 1680x1050 and can never go back to 4:3 (except at work :( )

Advantages and disadvantages....

Heads up, for what I am about to say...!!!

Widescreen is wonderful for online gaming, giving you that advantage of having a wider point-of-view angle perspective so that you can see more of what is going on to the left and to the right.

I do think that it reduces accuracy just a little bit if the field of view is too wide. IMHO, virtually all of first-person 3D game engines are built for the 4:3 aspect ratio with that kind of viewing angle, usually around 85 degrees.

If you have a really large widescreen monitor at an average distance from your eyes (around 2 feet or so), it will give you a logarithmic effect. Objects on the side are stretched horizontally while objects in the middle are narrower. One logarithmic thing is that if the widescreen monitor is very large (like 24" or more), and not at a good distance from your eyes, you are still looking at a "curved" screen perspective-wise. It is like still having a old-fashioned curved CRT, but flat screens lessen that logarithmic effect of the things in the middle of the screen being physically closer to your eyes and the sides being farther away from your eyes. This flat screen is still a large, wide 2-D plane that you are looking at perpendicularly, and if it is a 4:3 monitor instead of widescreen, the sides are not as far away from your eyes.

I am not saying that I hate flat panels--in fact, they are much better than round CRT monitors. Still, the ideal scenario would be that we are looking at a concave curved screen, like looking at the inside surface of a piece of a large sphere. It should be concave at an angle such that at the normal viewing distance, all areas on the screen are at an equal distance from the eyes. The average viewing distance is say, 24 to 36 inches, I would guess. Heck, it could even be a full hemisphere (half-sphere) all around your head so that you have a full 180-degree viewing angle at your disposal. You are free to turn your head around to see what is going on, and nothing is distorted perspective-wise, because all areas on the screen are perpendicular to the center of your eyes.

Back to the topic... As much of an advantage 16:10 might give you in games, it does distort things in the extreme left and right portions in that you have to put your head at 12 or less inches away from the 24" monitor in order to maintain the correct perspective with the widescreen angle of say, 100 degrees viewing angle. That way, the logarithmic effect of the 2-D plane brings the left and right sides into the right proportion with your eye viewing distance as they no longer seem stretched-out as if you are supposed to be viewing them to the right or left of your side.

male
LOVE widescreen
1440x900 right now, until i get my new LG then it'll be 1680x1050 :D

Bo_Fox said:
Advantages and disadvantages....

Heads up, for what I am about to say...!!!

Widescreen is wonderful for online gaming, giving you that advantage of having a wider point-of-view angle perspective so that you can see more of what is going on to the left and to the right.

I do think that it reduces accuracy just a little bit if the field of view is too wide. IMHO, virtually all of first-person 3D game engines are built for the 4:3 aspect ratio with that kind of viewing angle, usually around 85 degrees.

If you have a really large widescreen monitor at an average distance from your eyes (around 2 feet or so), it will give you a logarithmic effect. Objects on the side are stretched horizontally while objects in the middle are narrower. One logarithmic thing is that if the widescreen monitor is very large (like 24" or more), and not at a good distance from your eyes, you are still looking at a "curved" screen perspective-wise. It is like still having a old-fashioned curved CRT, but flat screens lessen that logarithmic effect of the things in the middle of the screen being physically closer to your eyes and the sides being farther away from your eyes. This flat screen is still a large, wide 2-D plane that you are looking at perpendicularly, and if it is a 4:3 monitor instead of widescreen, the sides are not as far away from your eyes.

I am not saying that I hate flat panels--in fact, they are much better than round CRT monitors. Still, the ideal scenario would be that we are looking at a concave curved screen, like looking at the inside surface of a piece of a large sphere. It should be concave at an angle such that at the normal viewing distance, all areas on the screen are at an equal distance from the eyes. The average viewing distance is say, 24 to 36 inches, I would guess. Heck, it could even be a full hemisphere (half-sphere) all around your head so that you have a full 180-degree viewing angle at your disposal. You are free to turn your head around to see what is going on, and nothing is distorted perspective-wise, because all areas on the screen are perpendicular to the center of your eyes.

Back to the topic... As much of an advantage 16:10 might give you in games, it does distort things in the extreme left and right portions in that you have to put your head at 12 or less inches away from the 24" monitor in order to maintain the correct perspective with the widescreen angle of say, 100 degrees viewing angle. That way, the logarithmic effect of the 2-D plane brings the left and right sides into the right proportion with your eye viewing distance as they no longer seem stretched-out as if you are supposed to be viewing them to the right or left of your side.

I think it's that "logarithmic" effect as you call it that makes these 3D games appealing. It stretches out the edges making your movements seem faster. Everyone loves tunnel vision! ;P

Seriously, I never even thought of wide in this way until you mention it. I honestly hated my 24inch widescreen and returned it, and now I know why.

I like 4:3. Webpages and almost everything is oriented vertically. Widescreen cuts down on your viewing area when things are vertical.

And male.

Staples said:
I like 4:3. Webpages and almost everything is oriented vertically. Widescreen cuts down on your viewing area when things are vertical.
Thats a big excuse that everyone tries to make....but when i went to widescreen 2005FPW (actually at one point i had 2 of them, 3360x1050 res baby), the only thing that really changes is you can read more than one full webpage at the same time...or in my case 4. Also usefull when doing reports, studys, homework...you name it. Widescreen is just better for more things....it just is..get used to it because 4x3 is going out the window.

Staples said:

I love widescreen for surfing the web. I read a lot of forums and they all fill the screen across, so I can read more. Losing some vertical is something I don't really care or notice and in fact I've gained a little vertically going to 1680X1050 cause I came from a 1280X1024 display. I was a skeptic at first of widescreen cause I don't mutlitask and like to full screen my browser and stuff, but I'm sold and absolutely love widescreen. I could never go back to 4:3 again. :D

Male

love widescreen i have one on order.

My wife, (Female, I feel in this day and age I have to poin that out.)

Hates widescreen and will not speak with me or enjoy any film i rent in 16:9 aspect ratio.

male
widescreen
1680x1050

I should note that I enjoy the real estate and I will never go back to 4:3 after using a 2005fpw for a year. Still I don't have my Firefox maximized; I run it in a window since I'd rather not have to look side to side with the window maximized.

Male, 22yr.
Widescreen 37", 1920x1080
Widescreen Laptop 14", 1280x768

I also used to have a 1600x1200 20", but when I upgraded I went to the Widescreen 30.

Male
1600x1200 4:3

The aspect really doesn't matter to me much. The important thing is the total amount of pixels. 1680x1050 has less screen real estate. Would prefer 1920x1200, but the 2x price premium isnt worth it.

Currently using 4 20" moniters for 6400x1200 in the shape of a T.

Male

1920 x 1200 WS
and
1360 x 768 WS

Larger desktop to work with on one screen with internet and multiple apps, and with gaming, you can see the bugger thats shooting at you that didnt know was there with your 4:3 monitor :p

male
single WXGA 1680x1050 (16:10) home
dual SXGA 1280x1024 (5:4) work

I installed new samsung 21.3 " on my older computer I rec'd my new computer and move the samsung over to new puter. When I re-installed the 17: monitor back on the old computer web pages only viewing in half the screeen. I restored the computer back to before when I installed the Samsung and software still only viewing webpages in half the screeen. Can anyone lend me some suggestions.

eAGLEi

Back