do you get coil whine on the first 3dmark test?

Unfortunately my card whines even when the frame rate isn't in the hundreds or thousands and even when vsync is on. That's unacceptable to me.

OK, good luck with that, maybe you'll get lucky and you had a freakishly bad coil.

There's nothing defective about coil whine so you will likely get a card back with the same issue.

If you read his earlier posts, he gets coil whine at all times even with vsync on; I've hard a few cards like this in the past and it is supremely annoying. Even though the card technically "works" I still consider it a defect if it happens during normal use - eg. when vsync is on and during "normal" framerates. I've had cards like this and they were instant RMAs for me.

I just feel for poweruser here because he is at GB's mercy and his point of sale has a restock fee. Not an ideal situation for sure.

If you read his earlier posts, he gets coil whine at all times even with vsync on; I've hard a few cards like this in the past and it is supremely annoying. Even though the card technically "works" I still consider it a defect if it happens during normal use - eg. when vsync is on and during "normal" framerates. I've had cards like this and they were instant RMAs for me.

I just feel for poweruser here because he is at GB's mercy and his point of sale has a restock fee. Not an ideal situation for sure.

Its because Gigabyte knows there's no issue with the card. He may have PSU coil whine, that is a possibility as well.

Its because Gigabyte knows there's no issue with the card. He may have PSU coil whine, that is a possibility as well.

Nope. Bought a Cooler Master V850 and still had GPU whine. Ended up getting a Seasonic 860 platinum because I found the fan to be a bit loud on the Cooler Master, and still had GPU whine. Neither of those two PSUs had coil whine, and my original Corsair V550 didn't either.

No issue with the card? I can't agree with that; It may technically work but if it makes that stupid noise while vsync is on - fuck that. He should not tolerate it. I've had a few cards with fans that made slight rattling noises during normal use as well, while the card technically "works" it is still defective because a GPU should not make stupid bullshit noises during normal operation. The entire point of getting an aftermarket card is for quiet operation - coil whine and rattling noises are obviously not in line with that, so why bother in the first place? Again, defect even if the card technically works.

Let's not assume that poweruser is clueless. If it were a PSU issue, i'm confident that he has the know how to isolate the issue. When I had GPU coil whine, it took me all of 2 minutes to isolate the issue using my iGPU to determine the cause (and removing the dGPU). There's no need to assume that poweruser doesn't know what he's doing, i'm confident that he does.

I've had cards in the past just like his, and I consider it a defect for a card to make a whining noise during normal use. There is no way I would tolerate it, and that is why I always buy from newegg or amazon - if there's an issue it is an immediate refund. No questions, no ifs ands or buts - REFUND. There's no way i'm tolerating that bullshit during normal use with normal framerates and vsync on, and yes i've had cards like that. If it happens only during loading screens with thousands of fps, I wouldn't have issue with that - but i've had cards, like his, that do it all the time. And that should never be tolerated, it is poor component choice on the part of GB.

Last edited:
If it whines all the time, then there's a problem for sure. I hope it all works out well for him, if he has a legitimate problem.

Xoleras explained exactly how I feel on the subject. The fact that the Asus GTX 770 i had previously had no coil whine and the two Gigabyte GTX 770s I've had both had coil whine points to the conclusion that Gigabyte uses cheaper components on their cards (also notice that Asus tells right on the box what kinds of caps/VRM components they use, while Gigabyte just says "ultra durable VGA").

Here's what gigabytes marketing says about "ultra durable VGA":

Powered by the ultra-durable VGA technology, this card delivers enhanced overall performance you can see and feel in everyday use. The ultra-durable VGA card doubles the copper inner layer of PCB, achieving GPU temperature 5%~10% down. It also reduces voltage ripples in normal and transient states (achieving overclocking capability 10%~30% up), allows more bandwidth for electron passage, and reduces circuit impedance (achieving power switching loss 10%~30% down).

So basically just a better PCB.

Xoleras explained exactly how I feel on the subject. The fact that the Asus GTX 770 i had previously had no coil whine and the two Gigabyte GTX 770s I've had both had coil whine points to the conclusion that Gigabyte uses cheaper components on their cards (also notice that Asus tells right on the box what kinds of caps/VRM components they use, while Gigabyte just says "ultra durable VGA").

Here's what gigabytes marketing says about "ultra durable VGA":

Powered by the ultra-durable VGA technology, this card delivers enhanced overall performance you can see and feel in everyday use. The ultra-durable VGA card doubles the copper inner layer of PCB, achieving GPU temperature 5%~10% down. It also reduces voltage ripples in normal and transient states (achieving overclocking capability 10%~30% up), allows more bandwidth for electron passage, and reduces circuit impedance (achieving power switching loss 10%~30% down).

So basically just a better PCB.

Not really going to argue about it since I have no experience with Gigabyte 770's but I did have two Gigabyte WF3 670's until just a month ago and both of those cards were dead quiet, no unusual whining at all and I would be very surprised if Gigabyte started using inferior electronic components compared to what was being used on my 670's. They're likely straight out of the same parts bin. I won't rule out a defective batch of parts on your cards, but I am willing to bet they didn't just suddenly use cheap parts in comparison to their previous video cards. Asus is a marketing king, they like to toot their horn about a lot of fancy electronic parts on their products that in the real world rarely ever do anything to help the end customer, but it sure helps them sell a lot of product though. Asus has their fair share of issues as well, with many products.

I hope it all gets sorted out for you.

Yup, all you're statements stand. I don't have a legitimate problem. Thanks for bringing that to light so I can educate myself further. Don't know why I ever thought buzzing from the card under any workload wasn't normal.

Got the card back from RMA today. Of course the issue isn't fixed, the card still does the same exact thing. Better yet, they took the outer box. I sent the card with everything it came in, I received the card back with just the inner box and accessories. The outer box has the serial number sticker on it, how shady is that? Never again Gigabyte. Of course I emailed them the other day after they told me all they did was update the BIOS, haven't received a response. I just emailed them again, they WILL be replacing my card.

Got the card back from RMA today. Of course the issue isn't fixed, the card still does the same exact thing. Better yet, they took the outer box. I sent the card with everything it came in, I received the card back with just the inner box and accessories. The outer box has the serial number sticker on it, how shady is that? Never again Gigabyte. Of course I emailed them the other day after they told me all they did was update the BIOS, haven't received a response. I just emailed them again, they WILL be replacing my card.

"Send the bare product only (original packaging, accessories and/or other peripherals may not be returned)"

Ripped right from Gigabyte's rma website. You are right to blame Gigabyte for the coil whine but please refrain from calling them shady because you can't be bothered to read RMA instructions. BTW this is standard policy for just about all video card and motherboard companies.

I followed the instructions in the RMA email they sent me, which mentioned nothing about returning the bare card only. Even still, why take the box?

I followed the instructions in the RMA email they sent me, which mentioned nothing about returning the bare card only. Even still, why take the box?

I feel your pain. Clearly Gigabyte is using sub-par components because most 770s are not experiencing coil whine - as i've mentioned I had a few cards like this and they were immediate refunds for me. Unfortunately, if 1 SKU (2GB GB GTX 770 in this case) has coil whine like this they probably all have it - most of these cards are mass produced with all of them using the same components across every card.

In fact, the GB 770 2GB is the only one i've heard of with coil whine issues; it seems to be the only GTX 770 affected from what I can tell. At this point, I would demand a refund from GB or from the point of sale. Or talk to the CC company as a means of getting the point of sale to do a refund. Is there a charge-back policy for defective products? I don't know. I don't advocate charge-backs but you were clearly sold a defective product IMO, which is not cool - coil whine during normal use with vsync on is not acceptable. Best of luck with whatever happens.

Last edited:
On a side note, I wish more reviews made note of coil whine. One of the most notorious offenders were the first batches of 7970 Dual-X cards from sapphire, the coil whine was truly horrendous. I think TPU noted that it was really bad on the reference 7990 as well. As far as the dual x 7970, it whined even when vsync was on during normal use. I think reviewers should keep manufacturers honest with component use by mentioning coil whine whenever possible. I can't fathom how anyone would find that acceptable if it happens with vsync on.

Hey Powruser. I just commented on your YouTube video. To let you know, I believe this is a direct issue with that one benchmark, as my Titan does the same thing. I posted about it when I first noticed it as well. Your card is fine, albeit the noise is a nuisance to have to listen to. You are also probably anal like me and want everything to be perfect. I would just enjoy your card. RMA could always inadvertently net you a card with louder coil whine and you would have been better off sticking with what you had.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1749430&highlight=

Hey Powruser. I just commented on your YouTube video. To let you know, I believe this is a direct issue with that one benchmark, as my Titan does the same thing. I posted about it when I first noticed it as well. Your card is fine, albeit the noise is a nuisance to have to listen to. You are also probably anal like me and want everything to be perfect. I would just enjoy your card. RMA could always inadvertently net you a card with louder coil whine and you would have been better off sticking with what you had.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1749430&highlight=

Or you could read the entire thread. He gets coil whine in everything.

Yes, some cards only get whine when the framerate is excessively high. I've had cards like that and it isn't a big deal - I could completely ignore coil whine in that case. But the issue here is that poweruser does not have such a card; it always whines - i've had cards like this and it certainly is not "fine"when it whines always without fail at GPU load. This indicates poor component use on the part of the AIB producer.

Additionally, many other 770 models are available which have no such issues.

I had a 7990 for about 2 hours before I packed it back up to send back. It was really, really bad. It whined any time the monitor was on, and by whine I mean sounded like a bag full of cicadas.

My 7950's whine when I move the mouse a little bit, but not enough to bother me. The 770s I had just before were completely silent.

I have gigabyte cards with no whine.. I think it's just random? and then crap customer service really puts on the extra sting. that's terrible they didn't even test your card really.. just flashed it and sent it back. wtf, over?

I have had generally good luck with gigabyte products but have never had to RMA anything..

Sucks because the retailer only has 30 day refund/exchange policy. Got an email back from Gigabyte:

Dear customer,

The BIOS was updated and our engineers tested the card with no buzzing or whining noise. Please contact our tech support at 626-854-9338 option 3 to help troubleshoot the problem first.

Thank you

Good thing I took a YouTube video WITH serial number of the coil whine just in case they pulled this crap. I even linked them the video when I submitted RMA. Needless to say I emailed them back demanding a replacement card and reminding them of the video proof of the issue.

Just called in to Gigabyte customer service as requested in their email. Spoke w/ the first rep and explained the situation (calmly, catch more flies w/ honey), he then asked some basic questions. He determined I should get eligible to have the card replaced, and put me on hold while he spoke w/ RMA department. He then transferred me to the RMA department, who issued me a RMA # and a prepaid shipping label. Glad they seem to be getting it together. Hope the replacement card is okay. I don't even care if it's a refurb, as long as it's not whining (and not too scratched up). Strange part is, he read the "engineer's notes" to me, and said they found that the card was crashing, which is why the updated the BIOS on it... Makes no sense because the card is completely functional and stable, it just whines...

Or you could read the entire thread. He gets coil whine in everything.

Yes, some cards only get whine when the framerate is excessively high. I've had cards like that and it isn't a big deal - I could completely ignore coil whine in that case. But the issue here is that poweruser does not have such a card; it always whines - i've had cards like this and it certainly is not "fine"when it whines always without fail at GPU load. This indicates poor component use on the part of the AIB producer.

Additionally, many other 770 models are available which have no such issues.

Yes, I did read the entire thread...I was actually referring to the first card he had prior to his RMA where he was stating it only happened with 3dmark... Hence why I stated be careful with RMA's as you could potentially receive a worse card then the one currently owned.

Thanks for the responses guys! Sincerely appreciated! Since it's normal and it doesn't happen anywhere but the very first test of 3dmark, I'm going to keep the card. If anyone is considering a GTX 770, I can highly recommend the Gigabyte 4GB model, excellent card and very quiet!

So I returned the card to the retailer and ordered another one. The new card has coil whine as well, actually worse than the first card. Ordered the Cooler Master V850 (Seasonic) last night, should receive it tomorrow. I'll keep you guys and gals updated as to whether this resolves my coil whine issues. If not I'll be RMA'ing the card directly to Gigabyte.

I hope my post makes sense now. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes, I did read the entire thread...I was actually referring to the first card he had prior to his RMA where he was stating it only happened with 3dmark... Hence why I stated be careful with RMA's as you could potentially receive a worse card then the one currently owned.

I hope my post makes sense now. :rolleyes:

Funny you mention that, because I got another one and the coil whine was worse! =(

The original one only had coil whine in very high FPS situations, but was fine in normal gameplay.

The second one had coil whine under any GPU load =(

Well I learned my lesson!

Back