Do you feel guilty buying used games?

yes... but usually the alternative is to wait and save up more.
im an impatient person

What do you mean by easily available alternative?

As for buying used games, simply no, just like I don't feel bad for buying other used items such as cars, furniture, computers, etc. The game developer made it's profit when the game was bought new. They have no to right to profit from someone reselling that game, THAT THEY PURCHASED, when he or she chooses.

Does it cut into game developers profits? Some. But that's life. You can't have everything. If they want higher profits than they should develop more games that people have to have right away and aren't willing to wait a couple months to buy used.

No not really... Its like the poster b4 me said. Its just like buying anything else used. You get it for a lesser price than new. Its the way it works.

I don't feel guilty at all buying used, many times I can find a game for super cheap with no defects (like the original owner never even played the game, just traded it in)

I don't know how many PS2 games I bought just before X-mas (since people needed money for gifts) for $2.50 or less! Lots of good ones.

No.

In fact, with console games I never buy them if a friend of mine already has. I'll just borrow it and play it when they're done.

Who's to say the first sale would have taken place if the buyer was restricted from reselling?

No, no, no, a million times no. And the fact that companies are trying to cut off that avenue by pushing direct downloads, and online activations, and all that crap really pisses me off.

Do you feel bad buying a used domestic car knowing these companies are struggling? They better lrn2biznss if you ask me.

I feel bad when I buy a used game....knowing I could have borrowed it from a freind for free before :p

Fuck no. Until the industry lobbyists manage to have the practice banned, I will enjoy the discount, even it if is a shallow one.

It's not up to the developer what I choose to do after I purchase it.

If I can shove it down a toilet then I can surely sell it (or buy it from a buyers perspective).

The one thing I love about used discs are that the files inside never age, unlike buying physically used products.

No. I don't find most games worth their launch price so I have no problems buying used or waiting for them to get cheap. Though now that I've started reviewing games I can chalk some of those purchases up to work related expenses.

Don't you care about supporting the devs that bring you the games you like?

Would you feel bad about buying a used car, or a used book, or used PC components? It seems the only ones complaining about used sales are people in the gaming industry, even though they are certainly not the only ones in that position. I don't have any issues with buying used games, just like I have no issue buying used products of any sort.

Never!

I'm all about supporting software developers but when games cost 50-60 it's really not worth buying new, with exceptions to that rule obviously (which are usually from developers I support anyway).

IMO, it's no different than buying a user car or anything else. Most seem to depreciate just as bad too

i can honestly say i have NEVER felt bad about it until i read this thread, now i feel like im stealing from the game developer, not to say i maybe torrent games :p

i do. i buy lots of things used/refurbed whatever but i really like to support game companies, especially if ive played the game and like it before hand. i'd rather buy new games on sale for $30 than used for $20 to support the devs but the guilt lasts until my CC/paypal payment clears

The phrase you need to research is first-sale doctrine (wikipedia).

Book authors don't like used book selling, musicians don't like used music CD selling, and Hollywood doesn't like used DVD selling, but they have to put up with it, because that's the law.

So why don't computer game sellers have to put up with it too? They've been claiming that they're licensing it rather than selling it, whatever the hell that means. They are on really shaky, almost non-existent legal ground here and know it, which is why you're seeing now the move to selling activations.

Ultimately, DRM is not really about anti-piracy - it is, ironically enough, an end-run around the Copyright Act of 1976 to prevent used computer game sales.

Hmm... I, umm, "downloaded" games in college. I buy used games now to support the developers. Seriously, the people selling their used games are getting money and then going out and buying new ones. So in a way, it is still helping the developers... The majority of my games I get these days are still used but things that I am looking forward to are new purchases around launch date.
Also, I gotta love some of the Steam sales lately!

No more so than buying a used book, or borrowing a book from the library, or renting a game/movie. Which is to say, not at all. Why the hell should I? Why should anyone?

no way at all do I feel that way. it just like buying anything else used.

It's sad how many people are so ignorant of the first sale doctrine.

I guess Toyota, Honda, Ford, GM, and all the rest have no incentive to make new and great cars in the future because of used car sales.

I guess no homebuilders have any motivation to build new developments because of used home sales.

Those poor designers like Calvin Klein should just stop making new clothes. Thrift stores and secondhand and outlet stores are just evil and taking all of their profits.

Oh, you want to talk intellectual property? Ok----

Hollywood hasn't had any motivation to make new movies ever since VHS and DVD came out right?

Authors have stopped writing books ever since half priced books, ebay, amazon, half.com and others started selling used books.

Used toy sales have destroyed Mattell and Hasbro.

Used CD shops are what killed the music industry right?

Videogames aren't special, and this latest series of industry whining about how a used game sale is equal to a pirated copy is beyond asinine.

These days, when practically 90% of games are way overpriced for their actual value? HELL NO! Most of the time the publisher/developer doesn't deserve the full price they're charging for a new game.

Now they blame their pricing on studio and production costs, so they can basically release a highly polished turd with 50,000 polygons of detail instead of just 5,000.

I only feel guilty about buying used games from Gamestop, as it supports and justifies their terrible business practices.

The only reason this new bend on the old whine exists is because developers see the profits that Gamestop is rolling in quarter after quarter and they want a piece of that pie. Me personally, I'd as soon burn a Gamestop to the ground as walk into one. Been pissed off too many times by the 'tude of whatever counter jockey happens to be mannning the register.

So I don't shop there since years and years ago, but I do frequent ebay, and Gamefly. Anymore I've adopted a $10 dollar rule: If I want to play a game bad enough, but it seems like any part of it might suck or piss me off, I wait until I find it for $10. So whether thats at Best Buy or Gamefly, I think the developers end up making about the same amount off of me at that point.

Certain things that I've rented before and ejoyed I might pick up for more than that, but there are few series I will buy at street date anyway, ever since GTA4.

Even if they outlawed the resale of them, we'd all just loan em' to each other anyway.

You get it for a lesser price than new. Its the way it works.

The problem is that when buying normal items used, they generally have lost quality or effectiveness. That doesn't apply to software.

The problem is that when buying normal items used, they generally have lost quality or effectiveness. That doesn't apply to software.

Or movies or music, or the contents of a book. But the first sale doctrine has been the standard since the beginning of the 20th century. So far, the courts have applied it to software, music and movies as well. And seem likely to continue to do so. It's been to court several times over the last 100 years and the courts have continued to uphold it. No second bite for the music, movie, and games industry.

No I do not feel guilty buying used games. If they play the same and contain all the material in the game case, I'm SOLD. :D

So far, the courts have applied it to software, music and movies as well.

That is not entirely correct. There have been rulings in both direction regarding first sale doctrine and software. Courts have upheld EULA licensing which says software cannot be resold, because it is never owned in the first place, only licensed.

Back