Do you ever get used to the the small text on LCD's?

Theodore

n00b
I had a LCD for a short time and I simply couldn't get used to the tiny text. My crt is set to 1024x768, and the lcd was at 1600x1200. I know you can drop the resolution, but the text doesn't look as good. How do you guys cope with this? Thanks.

Sit closer to the monitor.

I ran 1600x1200 19" (18 viewable) CRT for years so I am looking forward to bigger text on my next 20" 1600x1200 LCD.

It's fine for me. Only thing I have trouble with is chat in certain games (AO, WoW), but there's an option to increase the chat font size.

Well I run a 19" CRT at 1600x1200, so for me, I'll have to get used to bigger text.

Hopefully I'm moving to a 19" LCD soon.

I use Firefox and have a mouse gesture to quickly change text size in and out for surfing. In Windows you can also set the native font larger too. Regardless, doesn't bother me given my habit in FF.

i know how you feel.... i had my crt 19" at 1024x768 and now my 2405fpw is at 1920x1200 and the text is smaller... however since my lcd is so much sharper + using cleartype... its actually easier to read than big text on the crt..... if anything you can increase font size in desktop properties as well as ie/firefox properties.... make sure you have cleartype on

I like it, as others above have said they are really clear and you can make it larger if necessary. I have 3 lcd's right now and am looking at upgrading to maybe 2 20" soon which should be nice :D

i've never had a problem with small fonts, right now i use 1680x1050, sitting about 3 ft away from the screen, and all the letters are crisp and clear. i think if you calibrate your display good enough, you'll have no prbls.

I cope with this by having better than 20/20 vision. Other than that I wouldn't recommend a high res LCD to someone with poor vision, it just won't work out well.

^^Agreed. Although I used to have 20/10 2 years ago, I'm now nearsighted probably from increased time sitting in front of the PC. I take breaks more often now to prevent it from getting worse.

I just got my 2007FPW and I've had to increase text in Firefox (Ctrl +) but that's about it. I didn't like the way text looked larger with the windows default in Display Properties. Going from 1024x768 to 1680x1050 is going to take some getting used to. My LCD is the same distance from me as my old CRT was, it's just the higher resolution that's the change.

You just get used to it over time. I'm running my 2005fpw at native res, and everything seems so big. 1680x1050 aint cutting it for me anymore. Actually I just finished ordering a 2405 off ebay a couple days ago. So we'll see how long it's native res will satisfy me. :D

The dot pitch on the 2405 is actually bigger than on the 2005...I have them sitting side by side and the text is smaller on the 2005 (marginally, but definitely noticeable).

I find it hard to believe people dont know they can increase text size. :rolleyes:

Eliminator said:
i know how you feel.... i had my crt 19" at 1024x768 and now my 2405fpw is at 1920x1200 and the text is smaller... however since my lcd is so much sharper + using cleartype... its actually easier to read than big text on the crt..... if anything you can increase font size in desktop properties as well as ie/firefox properties.... make sure you have cleartype on

1024X768 on 19inch CRT???........

no problems with 1680x1050 on my lappy-- granted, it's not that far away from me usually, but even when it is, I don't have any trouble. my PC's display is in 1280x1024 and it's a CRT. I prefer the LCD for text rendering accuracy.

erichui said:
1024X768 on 19inch CRT???........
I run that on a 15" viewable CRT. Anything else kills my eyes. I cant wait to go to a LCD. The larger text will surely help my eyes!

increase the DPI of the text. I run 1600x1200 on a 21" CRT, and 1920x1200 on a 17" LCD. Just turn up hte DPI.

Well, I run 1600x1200 on my 19" CRT and my 20" LCD is 1680x1050, so the text is actually larger. I use the default DPI, but set the minimum font size to 12 in Firefox.

DaRkF0g said:
I run that on a 15" viewable CRT. Anything else kills my eyes. I cant wait to go to a LCD. The larger text will surely help my eyes!

I used to run 1280xsomething on my 15" Sony CRT. 1024x768 on this nokia, and it seems large to me. I was worried that text woudl be too big at 1600x1050 on that 20.1" LCD im looking at getting.

ScYcS said:
Also make sure you enable clear type fonts if you run a LCD.

Or not... Cleartype just blurs the edges too much, I can't stand using it on my laptop of my desktop's LCD. Same deal with AA, sure it removes some jaggies, but adds fuzz as well, just not worth it IMO.

Anyway, yeah, I have a 1600x1200 20" LCD at home, and sometimes text in websites is too small, Ctrl-+ and Ctrl-- in firefox or just + and - in Opera take care of you. If you use IE, well, I guess you deserve to squint.

NulloModo said:
Or not... Cleartype just blurs the edges too much, I can't stand using it on my laptop of my desktop's LCD. Same deal with AA, sure it removes some jaggies, but adds fuzz as well, just not worth it IMO.

Anyway, yeah, I have a 1600x1200 20" LCD at home, and sometimes text in websites is too small, Ctrl-+ and Ctrl-- in firefox or just + and - in Opera take care of you. If you use IE, well, I guess you deserve to squint.

That's odd....i never had such problems with cleartype. In fact, without it, it looks really shabby and i can't stand text on LCDs without. If i enable cleartype on my LCD (L90D+), the text edges do not get fuzzy or blurry at all....

NulloModo said:

ClearType can be configured by using the TweakUI I think. So you can adjust the degree of "blurriness".

IE can change text size too. View -> Text Size, or Ctrl+scroll wheel.

Back