Votes: 17 12.6%
  • No - Getting CrossFire

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • No - Not planning on dual GPU now or in the near future

Votes: 79 58.5%

• Total voters

Sovereign

2[H]4U
So, do you do SLI? Or CrossFire? Planning on it? Post your Dual GPU setups! I'm planning on going dual GPU with SLI with the 7900GTX.

There are about 28472 of these polls buried in this forum. Some as recent as a week.

I have no need for a dual gpu setup because my 7900gtx runs everything fine at 1280x1024, however if I decide to buy a new monitor with a higher resolution then I will probably go SLI.

R1ckCa1n said:
There are about 28472 of these polls buried in this forum. Some as recent as a week.
I know, but with the velocity of posts here they sure get buried fast. I haven't seen one however.

Playing games on my Viewsonic 20.1in Widescreen monitor and my X1800 Crossfire setup is sweet.

pettybone said:
So what is the purpose again? Will this make or break a buying decision for you?

Maybe this thread is just a smokescreen for him to brag that he's gonna spend $1000+ on video cards. Or maybe he's just curious. Either way, I'm content with my 9800pro. :cool:

EDIT: Darn, I really should reload the browser tab when I'm ready to post.

No. I don't like to spend my money on the latest video cards so I can play games at the highest possible detail. I buy one video card every 2 generations and that works well enough.

Stuey83 said:
Maybe this thread is just a smokescreen for him to brag that he's gonna spend $1000+ on video cards.
Jedi Knight, are we? Read my mind, you have. Spend $1000 on 7900GTXs, I shall. Brag, I have, in many places. Need to brag in this thread, I have not.

I am planning to either go with sli or crossfir for my nexy system or i my just go with one 7900 gtx and a viewsonic 32 or westinghouse 32"

BTW: These numbers make us (future) SLI/CrossFire users feel even more that we are the [H]ardest of the [H]ard... Ego thing sorry.

MetalX said:
My Income + My Bitchy Wife = No Dual GPU For Me. Ever.
Ahhhh, the joys of being young (18) with parents that say I can use part of my inheritance from my grandma to build an SLI monster....and reasons why my soul mate has to at least understand that I have a geeky side....

Not even remotely worth it for the price yet, when it starts to become more efficent itll be something to think about, although I have a feeling theyll be doing the dual gpu on one card deal in the future.

i had 6800 gt sli, 7800gt sli and now 7900gt sli. and i will definitely get 8800gt sli. great. wouldnt have done it any other way. my kid had a 6600gt in his box, i was able to get another cheap, now he has sli. i can play any game at 2048x1536 on my 21" trinitron. f.e.a.r. plays at this res, everything at max, 4xaa, 8xaf, soft shadows on, and the test shows 100% over 40fps. i dont have oblivion yet, but i am sure it will be fine.

Not as [H]ard as you guys, but I'm perfectly happy with my XFX 6600GT fueling my Dell 2405FPW monster :D

Sorry... had to brag a little :p

On a sidenote... having no g/f sucks :mad:

7800GT plays everything I need it to. My gaming appatite has slowed down since entering college fall of '04. I will be switching to mobile 7300, and AFAIK theres no SLI option there. Mobile next gen in spring too, but again, no SLI option when running with a battery option ;)

Yes, I do dual GPU. I have 3 SLI setups and will seriously look at going Quad.

GLSauron said:
7800GT plays everything I need it to. My gaming appatite has slowed down since entering college fall of '04. I will be switching to mobile 7300, and AFAIK theres no SLI option there. Mobile next gen in spring too, but again, no SLI option when running with a battery option ;)

Wrong, welcome to SLI in laptops. It's been around since February.

http://www.widowpc.com/2006/02/sli_laptop.php

Stuey83 said:
Maybe this thread is just a smokescreen for him to brag that he's gonna spend $1000+ on video cards. Or maybe he's just curious. Either way, I'm content with my 9800pro. :cool:

I have a 9800pro right now too. Had no plans of upgrading...until my card started artifacting at stock speeds.
:confused:

Sovereign said:
BTW: These numbers make us (future) SLI/CrossFire users feel even more that we are the [H]ardest of the [H]ard... Ego thing sorry.

I disagree with this post completely...

The whole point of the [H] was pushing the limits of what you could do with something less, imo. So typically it is the P2 33mhz users, the AMD XP users who unlocked the multiplier, and the P4 2.4C users I consider to be the [H]. They took something cheap and pushed the limits to rival the performance of everything out there. Typically the most expensive products are already pushed to the limits and have no headroom for o/c, and are nowhere near the same level of cost per performance say the Ti4200 was back in the Geforce 4 days.

Of course stuff like that doesn't happen as often, but its still there. Look at the Optys right now, they are a steal.

Hell no!!!! After the shit nvidia and ati's pull with the lets do sli just as long as you can find the card still or good luck buying 2 of them bill gates. Been running a 6800gt agp and guess what? I just bought a 7800gs Gainward Bliss from the uk thats got a 7900 core on it with 512megs of ddr3 and 24 PIPES with plenty of room to overclock and its a AGP then I got me a new monitor coming also so I can see how this card kicks ass! This should hold me over till AM2 processors come out and maybe the second rev on the core. Then MAYBE I'll move over to this pcix stuff that everyones talking about. :rolleyes:

PS just being sarcastic. Just bits how both of them pulled the crap with cards availbitly, price and oh ya get a new motherboard if you want this one. At least Gainward was thinking about the people ( people=money). sorry if anyone thinks this is to harsh.

Sovereign said:
No. Just curious. I'm "Getting SLI"....

In a few month we will see you pissed because you can't run HDR+AA on all the new games and somehow feel cheated. Sure it will run cool but how does that affect your IQ while gaming?

I would recommend to anyone considering spending 1200 large in SLI to consider what they will be missing with this as most call it "a futureproof" upgrade.

pandora's box said:
no not planning on dual gpu. have better things to spend 1000+ dollars on

I'm right with ya on that one. Who the heck needs 2 gpu's when you have a flagship card from either nvidia or ati. 99% of games out right now, the 7900gtx and x1900xtx can handle at high resolutions and max settings. Why blow $1000 on video cards? Just so you can tell people you have sli or crossfire? Give me a break, you're not impressing me. As far as i'm concerned, unless you have a 30 inch monitor and need 2 hign end cards, then you are just an idiot who spend 1000 for nothing. Its overkill and it makes you look like a tool that spends all their money on gpu's. Thats fine by me if you want to blow your money on 2 video cards. Then when the new generation video cards come out with better technology, you dual gpu people will say, "Oh i gotta have ""2"" video cards of the latest and greatest" and you will sell those cards when you've only have them for maybe 4 months or so, I'm not sure, and then blow more money on getting the latest and greatest when it won't even be that much better than wheat you already have. Its not hurting me when you blow all that money, but I just don't see the point.

7900gt, never considered sli. I don't play any multiplayer games at any resolution higher than 800 x 600. Only bought it for single player games like oblivion. Even then it seems like overkill

I have two 7800GT's in SLI. I'll probably wait for the second gen DX10 parts before I upgrade again.

nope, dual gpu is useless...my next vid card upgrade will be when a DX10 has been implemented into a few games like 5 or so...or maybe 1 if the graphics are jaw dropping lol.

My kid spent her burger flipping money on second 7800gt, so I have it in the house.. I tried to talk her into selling her current 7800gt and then get a single 7900gtx or 1900xtx but she wanted sli.. :rolleyes:

I don't see the point of "getting SLI/Crossfire" - too vague.

It's a good poll though, because it shows 18/78 respondents have SLI if you consider those two categories. (Crossfire still has too many problems/limitations to be a fair guage of the popularity of multi-gpu, it's basically still beta)

The SLI numbers so far show over 20% of respondents on an enthusiast board opt for SLI, which puts it over the "rarity" category some would have you believe it's in.

I'd guess that SLI users are just another niche in the high end market, with 1000s of users.

R1ckCa1n said:
In a few month we will see you pissed because you can't run HDR+AA on all the new games and somehow feel cheated. Sure it will run cool but how does that affect your IQ while gaming?

I would recommend to anyone considering spending 1200 large in SLI to consider what they will be missing with this as most call it "a futureproof" upgrade.

My monitor's native resolution is 1900X1200 Rick. How many of these upcoming games will a X1900XTX run at that res with HDR+AA?

19X12 AA+AF > reduced res, distorted HDR+AA FTW in the IQ quest. :)

Dutt1113 said:
I'm right with ya on that one. Who the heck needs 2 gpu's when you have a flagship card from either nvidia or ati. 99% of games out right now, the 7900gtx and x1900xtx can handle at high resolutions and max settings. Why blow $1000 on video cards? Just so you can tell people you have sli or crossfire? Give me a break, you're not impressing me. As far as i'm concerned, unless you have a 30 inch monitor and need 2 hign end cards, then you are just an idiot who spend 1000 for nothing. Its overkill and it makes you look like a tool that spends all their money on gpu's. Thats fine by me if you want to blow your money on 2 video cards. Then when the new generation video cards come out with better technology, you dual gpu people will say, "Oh i gotta have ""2"" video cards of the latest and greatest" and you will sell those cards when you've only have them for maybe 4 months or so, I'm not sure, and then blow more money on getting the latest and greatest when it won't even be that much better than wheat you already have. Its not hurting me when you blow all that money, but I just don't see the point.

You have a very resolution limited monitor. My FE2111SB does 1900X14 @ 76Hz and my 2405 does 19X12 as it's native resolution.

Try using higher end monitors and see if you can still post that. SLI is a high end solution for people with high end parts.

For people with monitors like yours (limited to 16X10) SLI can provide higher rminimum fps and SLI AA.

Last, SLI doesn't hurt on some games like Oblivion that are already out, even at 16X12?
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_high-end_performance/page11.asp

Had a single GPU, bought a wide screen monitor, card went to about 15fps on alot of newer games. Bought a second GPU, everything like buttah.

SLI is great if you have a very good CPU or 2 and large monitor, especially when running games in 19x12.

Back