Do you C?

onetwenty8k

2[H]4U
For all of you C programmers out there, what standard do you use? What do most C programmers use? I'm learning from K&R so I'm doing C89, strict C which I think will discipline me incase I decide to venture to C++ one day.

In the real world, the standard is largely irrelevant. You code to your compilers and platform. If you need to target multiple tools or platforms, then you might aim at the standard hoping it works on each of the tools you're usin', but there's no guarantees.

im learning C#...

the thing is..if you know how to program object oriented, the syntax is easy to learn. Ive heard though if you know C#, then that is a good base to go off of when you want to learn other syntax

I know how to program object oriented, but I'm not that good at it. Polymorphism and inheritance confuse me to all hell, but then again, I had a terrible Java professor.

Like mike said the standard is irrelevant. In my job I use Texas Instruments proprietary IDE "Code Composer Studio" which generates code that runs on their DSP chips... due to the design of those specific processors there are aspects of the compiler that do not comply with any established standards, you just have to learn as you go (because god knows in the real world you don't have time to read all of the documentation for the platform before you start developing for it)

I know how to program object oriented, but I'm not that good at it. Polymorphism and inheritance confuse me to all hell,
Then I'd say that you don't know how to use object-oriented programming languages.

Then I'd say that you don't know how to use object-oriented programming languages.

That would be a good assessment :p

I figured once I get familiar with a low level, non object oriented language, C, it would be easier for me to shift my thinking to higher level languages and/or object oriented languages.

I think that's accurate. You have a lot to learn, so quibbling over which standard you choose to pursue hardly seems productive at this point.

I think that's accurate. You have a lot to learn, so quibbling over which standard you choose to pursue hardly seems productive at this point.

Very true which is why I'm going back to reading my book. Bye!

After that I'm going to go get a byte to eat (don't kill me for a bad pun)

Back