• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Do you browse the web while running Prime95?

burningrave101

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 9, 2003
Messages
11,825
Just curious what others do while they're running Prime95 or similar stability program. Do you still browse the internet and carry out normal computing tasks while you're letting Prime run in the background or do you just start Prime and walk away leaving the computer untouched until you're finished running it?

I've had my i7 OC BSOD on me a couple of times now while using IE8 and browseing the web with Prime95 Blend running. I'm sure it probably would of failed Prime after a while anyway since I don't think I was very stable at the settings I was using. I was at 4ghz and pushing for lower vcore.

But I wonder if simply browseing the web could interfere with Prime95 running and cause the system to BSOD when normally it wouldn't even if Prime ran for 8-24 hours?
 
I do it, to me if it fails just because a simple program like a web browser is up, its not stable.

I usually have firefox, wmp, and vent up while priming and intelburn testing. Hell i was watching tropic thunder while i was re-testing my old e5200 on intelburn.
 
browsing the web is a pain if you're priming plus paging nearly 6gb of system ram.
 
I do it, to me if it fails just because a simple program like a web browser is up, its not stable.

I usually have firefox, wmp, and vent up while priming and intelburn testing. Hell i was watching tropic thunder while i was re-testing my old e5200 on intelburn.

Ditto.
 
Well back in the single core days you wouldn't really want to be running applications much while Primeing because it steals CPU cycles away from the stress testing program, especially if it's set to normal priority and not high priority. I'm not sure if just a web browser would have much affect on a quad core with hyperthreading though.
 
Just curious what others do while they're running Prime95 or similar stability program. Do you still browse the internet and carry out normal computing tasks while you're letting Prime run in the background or do you just start Prime and walk away leaving the computer untouched until you're finished running it?

I've had my i7 OC BSOD on me a couple of times now while using IE8 and browseing the web with Prime95 Blend running. I'm sure it probably would of failed Prime after a while anyway since I don't think I was very stable at the settings I was using. I was at 4ghz and pushing for lower vcore.

But I wonder if simply browseing the web could interfere with Prime95 running and cause the system to BSOD when normally it wouldn't even if Prime ran for 8-24 hours?


first blame goes to ie8 for sucking.. so try firefox.. if it bsod's with firefox.. then the overclocks not stable..
 
I do whatever i would normally do, except for gaming. Its a stress test, so...the more stress...the better. As others have said...simple web browsing isnt going to make or brake a stable OC, so long as youre sure that its not the web browsing program causing the BSOD.
 
Back
Top