• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Do video card work harder with Vsync disabled?

Tearing > Mouse lag.
Vsync always off for me.

/Thread

I cannot stand the mouse lag introduced by using it especially in any online FPS where you have enough going on all around you that you don't need another thing to be constantly compensating for.

I only use V-Sync in games that require it due to issues.

Area 51 required VS on for me to properly jump with ATI or NV & Homeworld 2 required VS on for me to properly rotate the camera at least with my 4870x2.
 
For FPS games its one of the first things I enable on the first time playing. About the only type of game I play where it drives me crazy when tearing happens.
 
Limited to 24 fps? Only like film. There are 120 z TV's out there and some have judder reduction which is quite noticeable in film based movies in which the camera pans while filming.
 
i know my 480's and 580's definanly run HOTTER (louder as well) with no vsync on

but as stated i hate tearing, and ive never novtice mouse lag so couldnt even explain what it is or if ive seen it.
 
I never noticed tearing on my xbox360, am i missing something? Anyhow, V-Synch is on for me. I don't game online much on my computer anymore so i don't care so much about frame rates or mouse lag. give me a nice smooth experience and i'm happy. I think this is partly why my 8800 gts is still working just fine for me.

Turn around, and very carefully and slowly walk way Gshady. Wait, on second though, don't walk slowly. Run! In some ways, ignorance is bliss. Most people don't know what tearing is, don't look for tearing and thus never see it. Once you find out what it is, via seeing screenshots, videos or what-not. You start to see it more and more often as you become an expert as detecting it.

Xbox 360 games have a lot of tearing and some titles are especially bad. One noteable game thats supposibly quite bad although I haven't played it myself is Darkstrider? Dark soemthign? the game about the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse set in the future. If you can't see it, I'd say your lucky.

Xbox 360 games are to be honest, fairly poor in graphical fidelity. Most xbox 360 games are rendered at less than 720p and then 'upscaled' to 1920x1080i. A lot of games are rendered at the magic 620p to 640p range. That means its slightly better than dvd-resolution and slightly-less than medium-high definition(720p). Comparing top of the line pc-gaming graphics to xbox 360 graphics is really like comparing Blu-ray to watching standard definition cable tv on a high-def television.

Xbox 360 graphics however look AWESOME if you've never seen the top of the line PC. The same way back in the day, we marvelled at how amazing Golden Eye 64 looked. How amazing Final Fantasy 7 looked but by the higher standards we've been exposed to of Crysis and FF13, both those earlier games look dated and ugly.

The longer you can live in the bliss of xbox 360 graphics are AWESOME and there's no tearing, the better in a way. The nice part about an 8800 GTS is when you consider how optimized some of the xbox 360 games are and/or the poor coding of console ports a 8800GTS running the same game doesn't look THAT much better than the xbox 360 equivilent. If you did try testing out TRI-SLI 580s on Metro 2033with all settings maxed for example, Halo 3 would look sooo ugly and undetailed. I'd almost recommend if you can, waiting to upgrade your video card till the next xbox generation so you can continue to live in feigned bliss.
 
generally people hate vsync

On what do you base this? Did you make a real survey a study or just cranking out assumptions?

Anyway, after moving away from CRT monitors, tearing became an issue for my personal enjoyment of games. I have since been running Vsync enabled in just about every game I play on my PVA monitor.
 
In general I leave vsync alone or turn it off. Recently though the tearing in Pro Evolution 2009 was annoying me so I forced vsync in the control panel. Works fine now.
 
Back
Top