Do these temps seem high (Storm w/X2)?

theelectic

Limp Gawd
Do temps seem high for the setup below (CPU loop only)? Temps measured w/Everest, matches CoreTemp:

Ambient: 18C
Idle: 25C (higher core)
Load: 41C (Orthos)
Inside middle of case: 19C

CPU: AMD AM2 X2 3800+ dual core 89W overclocked to 2.7GHz @ 1.45V (143W approximate)

CPU block: Swiftech Storm rev 2

Radiator: Black Ice Xtreme original with two 120mm Antec Tricool fans (on max, 79CFM) in push/pull

Pump: Swiftech MCP655 on "4"

Other: MC-RES resevoir, 7/16" masterkleer tubing using 5% distilled water and pentosin, Arctic Silver 5

Block is well seated, re-did it twice with no change in temps. By comparison, the exact same setup right before I installed the WC was getting 48C load with air cooling (Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro).

I put the setup together from old parts I had laying around, so I'm thinking I need to get a new radiator. The air coming out of the rad isn't exactly warm, but it's not cold either.

hmmm I get around 38-40 load on my x2 3800 @ 2.6 1.435V, my ambient is about 4 degrees higher than yours, and I have an oc'ed x1900xt on my loop, but I'm using a dual 120 heatercore.

Interesting, thanks for those numbers. The more and more I think about and research it, I probably have barely enough radiator for the CPU load. That BIX is really a 2003/2004 era radiator, we're talking Athlon XPs and Northwood P4s that weren't even putting out 100W when overclocked. Some of the old reviews of the BIX I've been reading show load temps in the high 30s/low 40s (w/Bartons and Northwoods) so I suppose low 40s with a 140W load isn't bad at all!

Also the Antec Tricool fans have high CFMs but aren't exactly high pressure - if I put the pull fan on low and keep the push fan on high, I can feel a very small amount of air coming out. Certainly a lot less than the low output from a typical case exhaust fan.

I don't have enough fan either - the Tricools put out good enough CFM (79CFM) but suck at air pressure (2.54mm/H2O). I put a slightly better 86CFM fan with around twice the pressure (4.8mm/H2O) and my load temps went down around 2-3C!

Moot point though, I'm going to be putting a PA120.3 on there tomorrow :)

Back