Do SSD need any cooling?

2 of the 3 SSDs I have in my windows software development box are currently sitting directly on the carpet and have been that way for over a year. No problems with heat.

They do not need to be cooled, the only concern I would ever have is preventing other things from directly heating them up. They are not impervious to heat they just don't generate much if any.

So scenarios that would concern me are a PCIe SSD between two video cards or an M.2 SSD underneath a video card.

Behind the motherboard plate is fine, that is how mine are installed and it is very common on the newer cases to have at least 2 SSD slots on the back.

The conventional 2.5" SSDs don't heat up all too much for it to matter. I hid mine away so its nowhere to be seen getting little to no air at all. It's been running fine for 2 years.

The power usage on SSDs is so low that they are not going to heat up at all.

For example:
Samsung 850 Pro - idle 0.5w - active 3.5w
OCZ ARC 100 - idle 0.6w - active 3.45w
PNY XLR8 - idle 0.1w - active 5w

And if you want really, really low power ones, you can go with something like:
Intel 530 - idle 0.125w - active 0.195w
Micron M600 - idle less than 0.002w - active 0.150w

Data retention decreases with heat and silicon wears out faster the hotter it is.
Data retention isnt an issue early in the life of an SSD but will be later in life if you intend on keeping it in use for a long time.
Rather than accelerate it toward later life, I place my SSD behind a case fan so warmer case air doesnt circulate over it.
I'd rather get the most out of my kit if its free and simple to do so.
I pass on my old kit to friends/relatives so I have an interest in making sure it will last.

My SSD only ever gets 1C above room ambient.

But...
unless you kill SSDs with excessive writes, its going to last as long as you personally need.
My method helps mitigate against niche problems and lets it last as long as possible for those who use it after me.
If you dont care about either of those, fair enough.

There were thermal throttling issues on the Samsung m2 AHCI, but we'll see if those issues persist on the new model coming out in October. Intel puts beefy heatsinks on their PCIe SSDs

Otherwise, no, I don't see thermals as a problem with SSDs

I wouldn't worry too much about SATA 2.5" SSD but I would make sure the following have air-flow:
- M2 SSD
- NVME SSD of all types
- PCIE SSD of all types

They don't need a 1200rpm fan driectly on them, just air flowing over them, the NVME will need more air flow or they will throttle at high q depth and high threads.

Imagine a M.2 SSD located on the motherboard below 4-way SLI overclocked graphics cards. The SSD is then heated in tight space, without cooling its rather certain to die.

Hello everyone, I plan to buy the 540 corsair chassis.
But I saw the SSD storage is not getting air out of nowhere and even hidden in the back.
So my question is really SSD should get cooling. ?
http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2013/06/corsair-carbide-air-540-review/carbide-air-540-16-1280x1024.jpg

NAND itself uses like 18volts for programming so that does generate some heat. It also has a cpu which also can also run hot depending on the frequency and I think if they use some dual core arm cpu it would still be running hot. But the heat is nothing like a hard drive, although crucial has some kind of temperature monitoring where it slows down the writes if it gets hot. Their 1TB drives did have some heat issues slowing down writes. But that could also be due to space and tight fit as well due to the number of chips in there.

My sandisk ultra plus runs at 23°C or room temperature (73°F)even when playing GTA 5 which is written to it

Hello everyone, I plan to buy the 540 corsair chassis.
But I saw the SSD storage is not getting air out of nowhere and even hidden in the back.
So my question is really SSD should get cooling.

Oh absolutely. You'll need a full coverage waterblock and double rad minimum.

I wouldn't worry too much about SATA 2.5" SSD but I would make sure the following have air-flow:
- M2 SSD
- NVME SSD of all types
- PCIE SSD of all types

They don't need a 1200rpm fan driectly on them, just air flowing over them, the NVME will need more air flow or they will throttle at high q depth and high threads.

Actually NVMe does heat up quite a bit and can use cooling, a small fan and heat sink

Interesting my Corsair Force 3 runs about 30C and my two WD platter drives are 33 and 34C in the bottom of my 900D. The ambient temp is 18C right now.

With an ambient of 20C, my SSD idles at 22C and my other drives are all 29C, they are permanently on, no power saving.
(Antec 900 case, fans on slowest speed)

This suggests a lack of airflow from outside the case over your drives.

Funny you should mention that. I just started running 0 RPM case fans for anything except gaming. I only run the top rad fans at 740rpm for everyday work. My GPU still only idles 40C.

generally no but if you have an SSD near a graphics card in a laptop and there is no air flow it may or may not overheat. I know my m17x got my SSD to 56 C at one point, which is fairly warm but in a desktop I honestly can't imagine any design causing them to heat up.

Imagine a M.2 SSD located on the motherboard below 4-way SLI overclocked graphics cards. The SSD is then heated in tight space, without cooling its rather certain to die.

If they are 980 TI G1s they have plenty of air flow :D

Really depends on the case and the ssd, there are soem ssds that overheat, not so comon but it happens.

When i used a Fractal Design Define R4 for my main setup, my Samsung 840pro idled a little above ambient, and in heavy usage +10C over ambient. Now on my FT05 it idles around 10C over ambient and gaming (not a very high load) i get close to 50C, but the ssd is placed behind the chipset, and it does get hot.

So in essence SSDs dont need direct cooling, but they shouldn't be taken lightly, case ventilation and ssd position does impact the sdd temps.

Back