Do some manufacturers underclock their card?

I bought a "Green" GTS250 that was underclocked for a friend a while ago just because it was cheaper, cooler and almost silent. He was only going to be playing RTS games at low-res and wanted something as silent as possible.

I doubt people would use chips that fail at higher speeds, especially EVGA.

It's not that manufactures underclock their cards(except the Green), but most overclock them. They then charge more for them because of extra validation they go through.

Thanks for the answers, I suppose I could boost it up to 700mhz and bring it near the other superclocked cards. I just read some pretty bad reviews on the EVGA one though. I don't see how that could be? /shrug

I bought a "Green" GTS250 that was underclocked for a friend a while ago just because it was cheaper, cooler and almost silent. He was only going to be playing RTS games at low-res and wanted something as silent as possible.

I doubt people would use chips that fail at higher speeds, especially EVGA.
Haven't you seen the 460 1GB Surprise POS edition (and Palit and Asus actually made some their self but EVGA started it)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...iption=460 se&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20
lol 288 shaders instead of 336 (that even the 768MB one's have)

Back