Do S.M.A.R.T. reset utilities exist?

I have a Seagate 7200.11 drive that is giving me a smart error, but when I run the Seagate diagnostics and chkdsk, it says the drive is fine (except for the smart error). I'd like to reset the smart status and see if it comes back up.

(I should also mention the drive is an OEM in an HP so I can't use the Seagate firmware update utility. I've updated the firmware to the latest one on the HP web site)

I also experience a similar issue. SMART reports that the drive has damaged (reallocated) sectors, but any of scanning programs I used were not able to detect that. Is that because of remapping?

I'd like to reset the smart status and see if it comes back up.

First resetting SMART is a bad idea (unless you are trying to scam someone), and second there is no reason to reset SMART for the reason you state.

SMART values are reported with numbers. If the problem happens again, the number will increase.

Is that because of remapping?
Yes. Though if the number of reallocated sectors are increasing over time, you should RMA the drive to be safe.

The only thing SMART is telling me is that there was an error. I can't find any specifics about the problem. When I do a full real test of the harddrive, no actual errors come up aside from saying that SMART was tripped. Seagate's firmware notes say something along the lines of correcting an incorrect premature failure, so I have a feeling wrong SMART errors may be something that they were correcting (purely conjecture on my part). Finally, I'm not trying to scam anyone. I'm trying to save someone money so that they don't have to buy a new harddrive if they don't really need it.

If SMART says the drive is bad and it is still under warranty I would RMA it immediately. Actually I RMA drives at work if SMART reports more than 10 total relocated sectors. It's pretty rare to see any on a drive less than 3 years old.

If the drive is not under warranty and you believe the SMART report is false. You can always try to turn off SMART reporting in the bios if that is causing a problem. Before every one says that is dangerous at work where I have hundreds of drives (over 13+ years) with dozens of failures I have never once had SMART tell me a drive is bad before a drive died except for the cases where SMART reporting reallocated sectors and I sent them back immediately. Even DOA drives have not reported SMART failures automatically.

The only thing SMART is telling me is that there was an error. I can't find any specifics about the problem.

What is reporting the SMART error?

Download something like HDTune and click on the Health tab to see the SMART info for the drive.

For example:
exampler.png

Last edited:
I do know that SSDs sometimes reset SMART data with firmware changes. Although the information still remains visible to the manufacturer. Fraud would be the best reason why resetting SMART data isn't possible.

Ive had SMART tell me that I had bad sectors, but after writing zeros to the drive and doing a reformat, the SMART on the drive was all back to normal. In any case, I dont think SMART should be resetted because it's like rolling back the odometer in a used car. I think only the manufacturers know how because when you send back a drive to them, they will reset it in their refurbishing process.

Ive had SMART tell me that I had bad sectors, but after writing zeros to the drive and doing a reformat, the SMART on the drive was all back to normal. In any case, I dont think SMART should be resetted because it's like rolling back the odometer in a used car. I think only the manufacturers know how because when you send back a drive to them, they will reset it in their refurbishing process.

What program did you use to write zeros to the drive?

Back