Do people still play Starcraft?

TheCreator

2[H]4U
I lost mine a while back and am thinking of picking up the Starcraft & Broodwar pack for $20 are there still plenty of games on Battlenet? Anyone here still play it?

I still play Starcraft/ Brood war on a regular basis and at any given time (On US East) , there are thousands of people playing. Still quite a popular game. ;)

Unfortunately people still do. Also, some people still have mullets and some still wear neon.

I've been known to jump in on a quick game before. Mostly at LANs though.

I played alot, but its really only good right after they patch it because then everyone's hacks dont work. Good game though, gotta love 4v4 Fastest being zerg. ahhhhh the good ole days when i was young.

/age 18.23486

I still play at LAN's, never really enough time to play online... overall I think multiplayer was worse in WC3 than SC but a lot of the patches given to SC made it suck because they were trying too hard to 'balance' the races... it ruined the Zerg and beefed up the Terrain a bit too much :/

~Kris

StratocasterMaster said:
I still play at LAN's, never really enough time to play online... overall I think multiplayer was worse in WC3 than SC but a lot of the patches given to SC made it suck because they were trying too hard to 'balance' the races... it ruined the Zerg and beefed up the Terrain a bit too much :/

~Kris

Heheh

I dunno bout that tho. I'm not sure there was a much better solution to making detection cheaper for Terran (75M turrets) or in getting the Sci Facility earlier (yeah right). It still comes down to getting Comsat hotkeyed--in which they did not tamper with (build time or energy cost), so I don't see the big deal.

When I was at my prime, I did win most of the TvZ matchups, but there were always a few who tech-forked to guards quickly--and that ended the game alot.

IMHO, I still think 'Toss got beefed up too much ever since they got Cannons to normal. That simply snowballed into everything else being improved.

I use to play a lot last summer, till like september or october, and then I quit. My friends started playing again, but ever since I built my new rig I told myself I'm only staying with up-to-date games, because I could actually play them! :p :D

Mav451 said:
Heheh

I dunno bout that tho. I'm not sure there was a much better solution to making detection cheaper for Terran (75M turrets) or in getting the Sci Facility earlier (yeah right). It still comes down to getting Comsat hotkeyed--in which they did not tamper with (build time or energy cost), so I don't see the big deal.

When I was at my prime, I did win most of the TvZ matchups, but there were always a few who tech-forked to guards quickly--and that ended the game alot.

IMHO, I still think 'Toss got beefed up too much ever since they got Cannons to normal. That simply snowballed into everything else being improved.

I whole-heartedly agree about the Protoss, they were overdone -- slow but not slow enough. lol

I loved the Zerg, I had atleast 15 differant strategies for them depending upon who I was playing but a lot of it depended highly on a zergling initial defense so that I didnt get owned -- once they became more expensive (200m for spawning pool) and their spawn time increased it became difficult. :/

~Kris

I played a lot till they nerfed the Zergs. They were just the coolest race, but in the end they were neither fast nor strong nor cheap, which was crap.
I still play Sunken Defense every once in a while.

Im still all about the Total Annihilation when it comes to RTS... Dont forget, Supreme Commander, made by Chris Taylor now of Gas Powered Games is comming soon (The true TA2 ~ Kingdoms never was meant to be)

I Moved on to Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne.. Only cuz I cant find my Starcraft cd.. :eek:

aah... Ever since Warcraft3 came out, i've left Starcraft alone. I tried coming back, I did... but I just can't stand all the difficulties in it... e.g. you can't select multiple buildings, you can be prone to lure attacks and your units won't eventually stop following... Also, heros are quite fun in WC.

But I must say, I had my time in good ol SC. Now my korean friends (kekeke '_';;) show me a few strategies every once in a while... Them and their predisposition to being the ultimate SC masterminds! That gets me hooked on the game again for about 5 minutes, before I have to return to WC3 lest I go crazy with the interface.

krizzle said:
aah... Ever since Warcraft3 came out, i've left Starcraft alone. I tried coming back, I did... but I just can't stand all the difficulties in it... e.g. you can't select multiple buildings, you can be prone to lure attacks and your units won't eventually stop following... Also, heros are quite fun in WC.

But I must say, I had my time in good ol SC. Now my korean friends (kekeke '_';;) show me a few strategies every once in a while... Them and their predisposition to being the ultimate SC masterminds! That gets me hooked on the game again for about 5 minutes, before I have to return to WC3 lest I go crazy with the interface.

I've tried my hardest to like WC3, but it can't. Tried playing it at LANs, but there was just no spark the way there was with SC. Its not to say both are good games, but I just didn't like how Blizz changed their focus with WC3.

And to the Total Annihilation comment, my god that was a good game. Though, I wish there was more unit balance. New units had a way of constantly tipping the scales like a boat out in a storm--and on top of that, you had to have the same "new" units to play. Eh...well, it was there first stab at online play (and those were the modem days).

Cans/Sumo/Goliaths were pretty insane, if it weren't for the Arm getting Mavericks/Panthers. But I digress =D.

Mav451 said:
I've tried my hardest to like WC3, but it can't. Tried playing it at LANs, but there was just no spark the way there was with SC. Its not to say both are good games, but I just didn't like how Blizz changed their focus with WC3.

Quite agree. WC3 isn't a bad game, but it's just too ... close for my tastes. Smaller battles, fewer units, and the camera doesn't go anywhere near as far out as I'd like. I sincerely hope they don't do the same things to SC 2, if they ever get around to making it.
I want battles, not skirmishes, damn it. :p

Additionally, I still think SC had the best selection of multiplayer game modes for any RTS, ever. What's not to like about the "control each others units"-coop? Brilliant LAN fun. :D

does a bear sh*t in the woods??? HELL'Z YEAH!!! we play SC @ our lan's still. CS, dawn of war and SC. some guys still have older machines so we have to but who cares the action is supa hot!

too many great memories & great games! easily one of the best games made!

KUDOS TO THE CODERS!

Rune75 said:
Im still all about the Total Annihilation when it comes to RTS... Dont forget, Supreme Commander, made by Chris Taylor now of Gas Powered Games is comming soon (The true TA2 ~ Kingdoms never was meant to be)

Wow, I loved TA. Just thinking about it makes me want to go load that again.

I could never get WC to load on the computer I had at the time. I had WC3 for a while, but I didnt like the camera usage and it didnt show enough on the screen for what I liked.

As for SC, loved it. Got owned by the kids more times than I can remember. Enjoyed all of them. I have the disks, but for the life of me I dont know where the serials are any more.

Last LANparty I went to, there was a conflict in versions for WC3 (i.e. some people had pirated versions, some people had patched legal versions), so it was decided that clean SC and SC:BW installs would be had for all. Good times ensued, and much overzealous hollering and hooting occurred.

It's nice to hear "Goliath online!", "Carrier has arrived!", or . . . "<gutteral noises>" in joyous low-quality sound every once in a while. Fun game, fun times.

Edit: Just read the above post: TA is nice, except I've found that people who didn't play it ~8 years ago won't pick it up now. I think the sheer number of units available swamps those who are used to SC / C&C / WC unit selections. Mmm . . . 3d-gaming with full physics.

Total Annihilation has been and will always be better then Starcraft when it comes to pure game play. Starcraft always had a rock/paper/scissors feel to me, something that TA never had. The variety of units and types of units (Tanks/Bots/boats/air/hovercraft/etc) assured that one or two units will not break the game (although the Pelican came close due to the bugginess of it). Yea, the AI had issues but using something like BSRs Bloodthirsty AI (the cheating one) made the gae a bit harder.

I still play once in a blue Moon, but mostly jsut at a LAN every now and then to shut someone up... im stil unbeaten locally.. even 2v1 HAHHA, Just for kick ill hope in a online server and I can never seem to beat any of them anymore..

My theory is there a re 2 groups play SC/BW still..

the l33t mofos, ladder gammers, very good on Ladder maps...(they beat me..)

Or the n00bs that just play the modded money maps..you dont need skill or tatics when you can mine 50,000 in 10 mins, and build to supply limit in 15 mins.. 200 units vs 200 units..only way to win to spical abilites and hope the n00b you palying dosnt use them..they useally dont...

im "DoobThe" on battle.net BTW if oyu want to look me up.. PM for a game if you wannt paly, game is still fun..

I only play once in a while with my friends, as everyone else on battle.net plays in fastest mode, and I'm not a hotkey-memorizer so, I like playing at normal speed.

Supreme Commander looks amazing btw.

^^^^ I need some linkage to those screen shots or info on the new SC... Supreme Commander, please =)

HHunt said:
Additionally, I still think SC had the best selection of multiplayer game modes for any RTS, ever. What's not to like about the "control each others units"-coop? Brilliant LAN fun. :D

Are you kidding? The only game anyone ever played online was melee, which makes sense because in any other gametype (ctf, etc) the special objective is always harder than simply destroying the enemy. If you want variety in gametypes, take a look at MythII: soulblighter.

Nakamori said:
Are you kidding? The only game anyone ever played online was melee, which makes sense because in any other gametype (ctf, etc) the special objective is always harder than simply destroying the enemy. If you want variety in gametypes, take a look at MythII: soulblighter.

I've mostly played at small LANs, which is a better setting for playing with the more alternative modes. Online is probably another matter.

Starcraft is still the best game ever. And actually, the races are pretty darn well balanced. Since Blizzard came out with a new patch about a week and a half ago everything is still fairly hack free too. I still play my wonderful anti-rush zerg build and love doing every bit of it. Going on what, 6 or 7 years now.

yeah all the races are extremely balanced.

Im practicing starcraft right now because im going into the WCG regional qualifier for it on friday, hopefully ill win the $25000+ prize money

Back