Do people buy pre-built high end rigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddfx

Weaksauce
How deep is the market for pre-built mid/high end machines? I am not talking about taking specific orders or just throwing parts together willy nilly, but rather building something professional only to turn around and sell it. I am interesting in higher end gaming machines, and have the funds to spend $2,000 + on a build if I can turn it for a profit of just a couple hundred bucks or so. How likely is it I will get buyers here on [H] or elsewhere?

Of course I know it depends on the quality, but are people willing to spend that little bit extra for something pre-built? I really enjoy the process of pairing quality parts & putting them together, and am just looking for a way to do it as often as I can without losing money. I want to build awesome computers but I have no reason to keep them around.

Rather than building boring rigs with random cheap parts, I want to take it up a notch and pair colors, sleeve wires, and make things as sexy and professional looking as possible. I intend to use only trusted brands and high quality parts to make extremely solid machines.

I realize the first step is to just build something cool and show it to people, but I am just curious what you guys think about the likely hood of making money back on a high end rig in general. Would one typically lose money or can they expect to make it back? Again, taking orders is not exactly what I have in mind. I think of it as art and would like to make what I envision. Just don't want to perpetually break the bank :)

Beware shallow waters.

I would look for enjoyment elsewhere. Too many potential issues and hard to find buyers.

I think that most enthusiasts prefer to build their own rigs, however there is still a slim market there that you may be able to make some money from. However, warranty issues and customer support would be a nightmare.

I have built and sold some high-end rigs in the past and it is a bit difficult to find buyers with that much cash. As someone mentioned, margins are now razor thin and are there are many pitfalls in the production and post-sales process. At such low volume, it only takes one bad sale to shred your bottom line.

That being said, I don't want to discourage you if you have something unique to bring to the market.

On a side note, I did meet with more success and actually higher margins by selling units I refurbished myself.

You'll encounter more cons than pros unfortunately. Unless you're a glutton for punishment, there is just too much risk and frustration. I'd love for you to prove me wrong and do well with it though.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back