Do not purchase an Antec power supply, you will regret it!

NormanNormal

2[H]4U
I wish I had read all the bad reviews about these things before I purchased two of them for two systems I built. I bought the SP-500 which is a 500w modular PSU. Antec products have always been great for me, until now.

After about 6 months of use the first one developed this high pitched squealing sound that would change as the CPU usage went up and down (no kidding!). About a month later it died and it took my mobo with it. It was only at that point I looked it up and apparently these things are NOTORIOUS for dying within a few months of usage and quite frequently take peoples entire systems out with it. The high pitched squealing sound is also common as I have now discovered.

So a month later guess what, the second PSU fails for the other system! Fortunately it didn't bring anything to the grave with it this time. Both have the exact same problem the PSU gets power and the light on the mobo turns on but it will not power up. Obviously I am livid over the fact that these poor excuses for a power supply are even on the market. Antec is well aware there are problems with this line of PSU's by their RMA/Return rate.

So don't make the same mistake I did. If you are considering purchasing one of these power supplies, please think again.

I have some more info on this. Apparently this design has had issues because Antec has been using cheap Fuhjyyu brand capacitors which cause these things to be destined to fail within 4-8 months.

Once you hear that horrific squealing you know it's its own death song!

I had a sp500 briefly... there were some system stability issues and replacing, it proved to be a weak point.

Squealing would be caused by a bad fan bearing, wouldn't it? The PSU should refuse to start if the fan has failed.

Also, a psu should keep connected devices isolated from most faults/failures. Doesn't the ATX spec lay some rules about this?

Sunbeamtech uses Fuhjyyu caps in their NUUO 550w units ... while the PSU gets glowing reviews from Jonnyguru, it doesn't hold up well when exposed to high temperature CPUs (ahem, AthlonXP @ 2.4 Ghz) right below them. Luckily, Sunbeamtech sent me a brand new unit within a week of my RMA.

Fuhjyyu FTL. :(

I heard rummors that the trio series are good. am I right? (practically the only good antec PSU line)

I never had the Smart Power, but I have a True Control 550, NeoHe 550 & 430 & Power Trio 550. The TC550 was starting to show an issue with random reboots after shutting down, and got replaced by a Power Trio when it coulnd't support my new 8800GTX in 3d mode. My NeoHe 550 has been golded in my fileserver that has 12 hdd, X800XL, 4x512 pc3200, P4 Northwood and a dvd burner.

I have a TruePower 2 430W, after a few months in my system a burning smell has been flowing out of it, removed it immadeiatly, useing a c temp BAD (from reviews) 600w at the mo until i get my Antec RMA'd, Then I can relax for a few months and start saving for a more trust worthy PSU... I think I've been lucky though.

I wont be getting an Antec again

Antec doesn't actually manufacture anything... The newer Seasonic-based Antecs don't use the famed Fuhjyyu caps, I would trust them more than the CWT-based units. For what it's worth, CWT has stopped using Fuhjyyu caps in their manufacturing, if the Thermaltake and XClio units are to be believed.

NormanNormal said:
I have some more info on this. Apparently this design has had issues because Antec has been using cheap Fuhjyyu brand capacitors which cause these things to be destined to fail within 4-8 months.

Boy that is some old news and not exactly correct. CWT made Antec's had the cap issue which is only really prevelant in Antec's because fo the less agressive cooling fan that they employ.

My friend has the Antec T.P. 3 Trio 650w and he loves it, he thinks its a great power
supply

I must be a lucky one then. I've been using a true power 430 for about 3 years no with no issues on a pretty decent overclock and through several upgrades on my main computer which is on all the time. I've also used a TP430 in a computer I built for my inlaws last year and they havn't had any issues. I just recently built a server rig with a TP480 and haven't had any issues.

Maybe the TP series is better but they've always treated me well. I'm not saying antec is the absolute elite power supply company, but I've never had an issue, certainly not enough to avoid them at all costs.

I refuse to buy Antec PSUs anymore. My last 2 were complete trash. Had a Truepower 430w. It lasted a few months, then I started getting power fluctuations, and I removed it after that. My bro had one in his computer and the thing smoked, and took out the mobo in its wake. I used to like Antec, but their quality gone down the tubes. I won't be trying a new Antec PSU any time soon. The thread is correct, buy Antec, and call the fire dept. :mad:

I used Antec’s PSU in almost every PC I have built not once had a problem until now, after reading this I am a bit disappointed, but does anyone have any links that I could read?

After 9 months of use my PSU burned up, last night while my PC was OFF luckily I smelled this before I went to bed and sure enough it was the PSU, some smoke was coming out and it smelled horrible. The PSU has no power and will be removed from my system tonight for an RMA. I used the Form off of Antec’s site this morning and have not heard anything back, does anyone know what Antecs response time is like? Should I just call them?

BTW the PSU is Antec TP II 550W

Antec doesn't care is what I have got from them. Support with them is impossible. I gave up and just got rid of it and got a Thermaltake. Bye Bye for good Antec.

bad experience from antec psu too. my true power squealed like crazy. bought a seasonic s12 and all is well and quiet every since

Ok. It is made by Seasonic unlike the SP and TP I and II which were CWT.

Just because its made by Seasonic means nothing!

Most copmpanies that contract out to another company to make there PSU`s are still in control of what components gets used...YES to and including the caps!

Also even though Seasonic is a quality well built brand that does not mean that Antec as a company is paying Seasonic to use that kind of quality workmanship ....blah..blah...blah....

Again let the buyer beware...

I bought an Antec 550 from Fry's when they went on sale several months back. PSU was in original packaging (not an open box).

It was dead- new build woudn't post or even come on. Put old PSU in (crappy 250w out of a gateway) and it worked long enough for me to confirm it was a dead PSU.

Took that one back, and got a second identical Antec 550. Again, new in box.
Get home, and you guessed it, it was also DOA.

I'm officially down on Antec.

do you have anything on teh 350w and 380w version of this psu? i got em both, but not installed yet.

Other than that i own a 420w (i think) in my server with 5 drives bout to add 2 more maybe, and a 350w Antec in wife's puter and i love em, just to throw in my 2 cents. been using antec PSU's for years.

Most copmpanies that contract out to another company to make there PSU`s are still in control of what components gets used...YES to and including the caps!

Also even though Seasonic is a quality well built brand that does not mean that Antec as a company is paying Seasonic to use that kind of quality workmanship ....blah..blah...blah....

:rolleyes: People are pissing and moaning about crappy caps in the TruePower/SmartPower series made by CWT. The Seasonic made Antec's do not use the same caps.

That being said the original manufacturer means A LOT. There are inherent design characteristics with many platforms as the bulk of the engineering work is done by the manufacturer. The FSP Epsilon platform has ripple issues...which are seen in all the units based on it save when the Zalman which has had a rework. The Topower higher wattage units are just a wreck for everyone who uses them. Etc......

No matter how much money you give Deer they aren't going to produce a Zippy/Lite-On/etc quality PSU with ZIppy quality control. Why do you think your beloved PC power and Cooling uses Seasonic and Win-Tact if the original manufacturer meant nothing and they were doing all the design work and part sourcing? They wouldn't they would save a boat load of money and go to Deer......the problem is you can polish a turd....but......

The manufacturer has a lot to do with the quality. As Spectre said, Why doesn't PCP&C just pay Deer or Leadman, to make them a good psu?

That being said, the antec which I have experience with, the original TrueControl, impressed me greatly. Even though I only had it for a week. I'd look farther than avoiding all antec psu's; One bad experience doesn't mean something is automatically bad. And, things do change. In this case, OEM's.

the SPII series from my experience is RMA in a box. With the information I gathered from the folks here I was able to convince the Antec RMA rep to ship back anything but a SP II, I received a Trio 550 which I am satisfied with now - keep in mind it was the 3rd round of RMA-ing.

My four year old (!) SP-400 is still going strong and my year old 480 TP 2.0 is also going strong with my new Core 2 Duo system. I haven't had a problem yet and the Trio is on my short list of power supplies when I go DX10 vid card shopping. I won't touch any thermaltake power supplies with a 10 ft pole, so it's them, Enermax possibly, or my fav the PCP&C Silencer 750. That 750 is one bad looking mama!:eek:

My four year old (!) SP-400 is still going strong and my year old 480 TP 2.0 is also going strong with my new Core 2 Duo system. I haven't had a problem yet and the Trio is on my short list of power supplies when I go DX10 vid card shopping. I won't touch any thermaltake power supplies with a 10 ft pole, so it's them, Enermax possibly, or my fav the PCP&C Silencer 750. That 750 is one bad looking mama!:eek:

My first SPII failed 1 year after I bought it, some symptoms it might show:
-high pitch whining sound
-system reboots on it's own
-system fails to power up on first try.

The reason they fail is because the capacitors leak when exposed to higher than room temperatures. If your room is very well ventilated then you may or may not have problem.

same story here....2 systems, 2 sp-500, 2 high pitched whines even when the system is off. neither has burned up yet, but i dont think im gonna be using it after reading this. its been over a year for me though, so i dont think i can be sending it in. seeing as how the manufacturer designed and released something that was having such a high failure rate ((in some instances a fire risk it seems)) i wonder what kind of action could be brought up against them?? anyone know whom to write to about possible action to be taken against antec??

i also own 2 other antec psus in my current systems, and i must say they are working very very well. one has been in a folding rig under almost 24/7 use for over 2 years now, no problems.

same story here....2 systems, 2 sp-500, 2 high pitched whines even when the system is off. neither has burned up yet, but i dont think im gonna be using it after reading this. its been over a year for me though, so i dont think i can be sending it in. seeing as how the manufacturer designed and released something that was having such a high failure rate ((in some instances a fire risk it seems)) i wonder what kind of action could be brought up against them?? anyone know whom to write to about possible action to be taken against antec??

i also own 2 other antec psus in my current systems, and i must say they are working very very well. one has been in a folding rig under almost 24/7 use for over 2 years now, no problems.

You could consult a lawyer to start a class action lawsuit, I'm sure there are many more cases out there with angry customers who kept receiving defective units and Antec showing complete negligence on their part to offer a different product on the first RMA.

Think of the Toughpower line as the Truepower with good caps and good cooling. They're both made by the same OEM and the Toughpower is definitely a better PSU than the True's were.

I guess I have been really lucky, I've been using Antec PSU's for 4 years now and not had one die yet on all the machines I've put them in, nine and client builds.

the ones below were in my main rig at one point and then moved to my other PC's as I upgraded
TP 330 (4+ years old I believe, ran for 4 years 24/7 in my file server and still running strong in a gaming machine),
TP 430, 24/7 for 3 years (sold this a few months ago to a client and bought the TP II 550)
TP 480, 24/7 for 2 years (moved this from my main rig to the server when I sold the 430)
TP II 550, 24/7 for the past 8 months or so, it's currently in my main rig below.

My Truepower II 550 SLI has been solid. And that's with SLIed 7800 GTX's, an overclocked X2 , raptors and lighting loading it up. I don't have any complaints and I've never had an issue with an Antec supply.

As with anything else, it always comes down to YMMV from the sounds of it. I was reading JohnnyGuru's review of the Antec Trio again and I don't think I would ever tax the power supply the way he does to get it to blow fuses (653 watts)! Of course, my truepower may blow when I try to OC, so maybe that will be my notice to upgrade!

I need to check his forum and see when he will ever review a PC Power and Cooling unit! :cool:

I wish I had read all the bad reviews about these things before I purchased two of them for two systems I built. I bought the SP-500 which is a 500w modular PSU. Antec products have always been great for me, until now.

After about 6 months of use the first one developed this high pitched squealing sound that would change as the CPU usage went up and down (no kidding!). About a month later it died and it took my mobo with it. It was only at that point I looked it up and apparently these things are NOTORIOUS for dying within a few months of usage and quite frequently take peoples entire systems out with it. The high pitched squealing sound is also common as I have now discovered.

I'll add a +1 to this. I bought the same SmartPower 500W back in February '06 when everyone seemed to like Antec. A little over a month ago, I started hearing the same high-pitch squealing sound coming from the PSU. I faxed in my RMA form today (Antec's RMA procedure sucks). But yeah, seems like everyone is having problems with Antec lately, particularly the SmartPower line. So screw Antec, they won't be seeing anymore of my money ever again.

Power supplies I've had from Antec:

350watt (pre-True/Smart Power, circa 1999) -- Still works. Powered the sig'd rig while the Ultra 500w was being RMA'd (which I replaced with a TruePower Trio 650w)

SmartPower 1.0 420watt - Circa 2002. Still works perfect

TruePower 1.0 (pre-SATA/PCI-E) 550watt - Circa 2003. Still works perfect.

TruePower Trio 650watt - Bought a couple of months ago. I really like it.

Well better to have Seasonic than CWT built SPII's using Fujyyhu crap capacitors with 100% failure rate.

just went over to the 'egg and wanted to check my old invoice. i purchased these things on 10/12/05. on antec's site it says they offer a 3 year warranty on PSU's , but im not positive..??.. i thought i would just check if the egg still carried the supply and they still did. i read some of the reviews and WOW :eek: seems like there is a bunch of people in the same boat.

It is not a 100% failure rate.

Honestly, if you're in charge of building systems for customer's or have power to influence over someone else's purchase , the SPII is definitely not something I would recommend to anyone. If you do some research on the Fujyuu capacitors you'll see what I mean.

My experience with Antec has been good over many years. The old Smartpowers and Truepowers never gave me a single problem. The only one to give me a problem was the SP2-500, a complete piece of junk. I have a Trio 650 now and it works great.

The HE line and the Trio line carry 5 year warranties now.

Antec support has been stellar for me, whether it's case parts or psu, they have always came through and in a timely manner to boot.

All psu's can go bad no matter who makes them. I recently had problems with 2 out of 3 Enhance 5150GH's I purchased. I surely expected no problems from these highly touted psu's.

Do I regret buying Antec? No, not at all...........

Back