Do not order your GTX680 from TigerDirect.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoostedStang

Weaksauce
To spare you a wall of text and angry ranting I will just provide cliff notes.

1. I saw they had a Galaxy GTX680 in stock.

2. I call to check and place my order.

3. Sales guy tells me yes it is in stock , so I purchase and pay for overnight Saturday delivery. Along with tax, it almost cost me 600 dollars.

4. Hours go by and I dont even see a reciept being sent to me. Out of worry I call back to confirm tommorrows delivery.

5. Sales person tells me oh sorry it is on backorder, our online system hasnt updated and someone else purchased those cards.

6. I know have 600 bucks floating around somewhere waiting to be credited back to me and now I have no video cards at all since I sold my old 560TIs.

Hope this helps someone out there considering on buying from them.

That is what they did to me for a Corsair H50. Haven't ordered from them since that shit happened in 2008. It is how they make their money. Oversell their inventory, hold your funds for 1 1/2 weeks, finally refund you, then frustrate you by shipping the product anyway and charging you for it when they get it back in stock. Oh and did I mention that they can apologize for 30 minutes or more every time you ask for your money back?

Well my experience with them anyways. YMMV though.

Yeah I cancelled my 680 order yesterday and am still waiting for that money to return to my account. Scored a 7970 for $430 on the FS section instead :D

this is pretty standard with them. not sure how this isn't just a known fact by now.

I cancelled my order because I saw that MicroCenter in Denver had two EVGA GTX 680s in stock, with the sales tax it came out to be close to the same as my back-ordered card from TigerDirect (with overnight shipping). This is the first time I have personally had an issue with them, and also the last time I purchase anything from them on launch days.

I have had okay results ordering things from Tiger Direct, but I have never purchased hot items like launch day video cards. And from the sound of it, this is something you don't want to order from TD as the OP has indicated.

It happens occasionally with non-hot items too. My current motherboard was listed as in-stock only to be back-ordered once the order went through. I think it took them 2 weeks to finally ship that part. Other than that they have been generally good.

And I also canceled my GTX 680 order with them.

I had a similar experience with TD, but noticed before I checked out that the delivery date was april 1st for next day delivery. If it's out of stock, it should say out of stock in the product listing. Shady, and a bit disappointing.

I live close to one of their stores so I never order online from them. The only place I order online with is Newegg, which I've never had a problem like the op had. Sorry to hear it, especially since you're now card-less. There should be some kind of penalty whhen they pull this type of stunt, like maybe 10% off or something.

jime

I've bought my last 3 AMD video cards from them because they had stock at launch when Newegg didn't.

That is how Tiger Direct works, they just list stuff like they have it, you order it only then to find out its not actually in stock and you'll have to wait. Some people will cancel orders, but they'll still get to hold their money for some time, others will give up and not cancel order and they get sale. Win/win for them until people realize to stop buying from them.

I bought my last two video cards (5870 and 580) from TD and never had any problems like the OP and others. The only reason I stopped using them was because they started charging sales tax.

... When I ordered it said "In stock", not "1-2 days" or "3-5 days", or what it says now "7-21 days". I never had any problems before with them ...

edit: Naturally, it shipped shortly after posting this. Hurrah! (Deleted some text above.)

Last edited:
Damn, I'd be hacked off, too, if my $500 were tied up on a several weeks waiting list, especially if I plunked it down thinking the item was in stock.

im getting to teh point where im only buying online from amazon or newegg. bought something from officemax.com and it was horrible. never again.

let me know if you're still interested in buying the 680s op. i know precisely what time it will get updated in newegg.

I don't use any source (for purchases) that I'm not willing to sacrifice in the first place. Credit only in these circumstances.

btw, I ordered the same card from the same place. Got my tracking number today.

I ordered one from TD too.

This is the response I just got from the TD rep

Nathaniel Quizon: Thank you for contacting us today, how may I assist you?
Nathaniel Quizon: One moment while we pull up your order.
Nathaniel Quizon: This is for a video card and we see that it will be available on 04/15/12.

haha

Just buy one off the douche bags in the For Sale forums, that are marking them up by $100 bucks. Problem solved!

Thank you for letting me know.
I'll put Tiger Direct on my "buying" blacklist.

I have to agree. I had two orders with them and both were nothing but trouble. I gave them another shot a year ago and same shit. They are definitely on my do not buy list.

I have to agree. I had two orders with them and both were nothing but trouble. I gave them another shot a year ago and same shit. They are definitely on my do not buy list.
Add me to the list. I wouldn't buy so much as a roll of TP from Tiger Direct after my past experiences with them.

I have experienced the same piss poor customer service from TD. I'll still buy something from them if it's a huge bargain. But if the item is in-demand, I now know better than to order from TD.

I'm not sure blacklisting TD is warranted though I fully understand the disappointment the OP is feeling right now. Thing is however, even the most reputable companies have over-sold items they didn't have or couldn't make good on shipping at one time or another. In fact, price gouging, price corrections and cancellations are typical--especially during hardware launches--Newegg and Amazon included.

Regardless, thanks for the heads up.

I have ordered multiple things from TD and rarely had problems. I also ordered a gtx 680 and the site said that it would be 1-2 days. I called this morning and was informed that it would most likely ship the first week of April. While I cannot say that I am especially pleased with this outcome it is understandable. It would probably be prudent for them to get web software which is able to update in real time though.

In the end I've decided to stick it out unless I can get an order in else where. While this is not the best solution, I don't think its worth cutting them off as a place to do business. There customer service has always been really good and I have never had a problem with them before this.

Just my two cents.

TD did the exact same thing to me on my launch XFX ATI 5870. I canceled and have never looked at their site again. The thing that made me take my business elsewhere is when I called back to question them about the order the salesman was very arrogant/rude and got very defensive when I questioned why they showed it in stock. It wasn't his fault it was OOS but he handled it completely wrong and lost a customer in doing so. Too many other good e-tailers out there to do business with imo...

Last edited:
I hope you guys aren't using your debit cards attached to your checking accounts for this, since it takes a week or longer to get your money back. Always use a credit card just in case. You can always pay off hte credit card later from your checking account. And, no, I don't order from TD/CompUSA either. Always either amazon.com or newegg.com.

I order one from TD. It was put on backorder. Called and cancelled. But they never charged my credit card.

I was wondering how Tiger direct managed to keep their 680s in stock for so long. What a shitty business practice.

As many others point out I have had the same problem with them with past orders. I keep having to remind myself of the problems with them when I see something in the hotdeals thread that I want. I actually will pay more to get something from someone else.

I was wondering how Tiger direct managed to keep their 680s in stock for so long. What a shitty business practice.

Tiger Direct like many other web stores, do not have "physical inventory" on every item it sells. These US based web stores use numerous fulfillment distributors across the US to fulfill and ship orders to thier customers.

Due to the insane demand of the GTX 680 release, the GTX inventories of these fulfillment centers was rapidly fluctuating while decreasing. This is due to pending and sold confirmed orders along the different time zones that these fulfillment centers where receiving additional GTX 680 shipments.

Is this a shitty business practice? Not at all. Its a very normal thing across all industries.

It's the consumer who controls the demand of product that ultimately controls the availability of the product.

Point taken ^^, but why take the money and hold it for a few days?

Tiger Direct like many other web stores, do not have "physical inventory" on every item it sells. These US based web stores use numerous fulfillment distributors across the US to fulfill and ship orders to thier customers.

Due to the insane demand of the GTX 680 release, the GTX inventories of these fulfillment centers was rapidly fluctuating while decreasing. This is due to pending and sold confirmed orders along the different time zones that these fulfillment centers where receiving additional GTX 680 shipments.

Is this a shitty business practice? Not at all. Its a very normal thing across all industries.

It's the consumer who controls the demand of product that ultimately controls the availability of the product.

Why doesn't Amazon or Newegg have this problem?

Listing an item that you can't fulfill as in stock and charging the customer for something that you can't ship in a reasonable time fame is a shitty business practice any way that you look at it and its something that they should address.

I also have to wonder why someone would register just to defend tiger direct in this thread.

As many others point out I have had the same problem with them with past orders. I keep having to remind myself of the problems with them when I see something in the hotdeals thread that I want. I actually will pay more to get something from someone else.

I will continue to rarely use tiger direct when I see a decent deal like I got on my H60 for $50 shipped. That said I'll be sure to steer clear on hot items and big product launches.

Point taken ^^, but why take the money and hold it for a few days?

They NEVER "took" the money. They only preauthorized your debit/charge card.
You need to call your card issuer to release the temporary hold quicker.

They NEVER "took" the money. They only preauthorized your debit/charge card.
You need to call your card issuer to release the temporary hold quicker.

Without ever verifying inventory? Yeah, there is no good excuse for that.

Its also odd that your entire post history consists of defending this questionable business practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back