Do motherboard come sealed in box?

Enilder

Limp Gawd
I just purchased ASUS Z87-A from MC today and I noticed that nothing is sealed in this thing. Box and everything else in the box were opened (zero seal whatsoever). Are MOBOs nowadays come completely "opened"?

Sounds like a return if there's no sticker closing the ESD bag or plastic around the box.

I'd return and ask for open-box price. Worst they could do is let you trade for a "new" one.

Sounds like a return if there's no sticker closing the ESD bag or plastic around the box.

I'd return and ask for open-box price. Worst they could do is let you trade for a "new" one.

I've never seen a motherboard box have plastic (or shrinkwrap) around them.

I have not seen an Asus board recently that was taped shut. Mostly MSI and Gigabyte still do that. Many of the higher end Asus don't even have ESD bag any more. If the accessories were open then it was likely a return item. I always check for obvious fingerprints and thermal paste/dust when I buy from a store because they like to open them for whatever reason.

I have not seen an Asus board recently that was taped shut. Mostly MSI and Gigabyte still do that. Many of the higher end Asus don't even have ESD bag any more. If the accessories were open then it was likely a return item. I always check for obvious fingerprints and thermal paste/dust when I buy from a store because they like to open them for whatever reason.

The Asus boards are just openly put inside the box?

Ok I apologize for not checking back. Apparently, Z87-A is completely open (no seal on box, no seal on the anti-static bag where MOBO is). Nothing is sealed except wires. I am guessing that this is the case for ALL ASUS MOBO. I am not sure why...I hope ROG or higher-end MOBO comes in sealed bags or boxes.

Ok I apologize for not checking back. Apparently, Z87-A is completely open (no seal on box, no seal on the anti-static bag where MOBO is). Nothing is sealed except wires. I am guessing that this is the case for ALL ASUS MOBO. I am not sure why...I hope ROG or higher-end MOBO comes in sealed bags or boxes.

ROG boards some in a cardboard tray with a clear plastic window over it, no bags. I guess it must not matter if they ship them that way.

ROG boards some in a cardboard tray with a clear plastic window over it, no bags. I guess it must not matter if they ship them that way.

I have purchased three ASUS ROG boards over the last three years.
They come in a giant carry-case style box, inside are two separate boxes.

One is a larger box designed to hold the MB securely, with a plastic sheet on the bottom and a tight fitting clear lid. There is no ESD bag or otherwise, Of course the CPU socket is protected. Some of the fancy heatsinks might have scratch resistant plastic covering.

The smaller box contains the accessories. Most or all of these are in sealed plastic bags or sleeves.:D

I've been buying Asus boards for years including the board you have and I can assure you that none of them, P8Z87 Pro, Hero, P8Z77-V's ect. had a tape seal on the box or static bag.

Any company that has a window on it to show it off in a box isn't sealed. Example the "ROG", "Rampage" and "Maximus" boards that have the clear window so you can see it. They aren't sealed. If it isn't made to be seen then it should have a sealed sticker on the anti-static sleeve it is in.

Okay.......................................

Never know. Could go either way.

Hell, my sig rig M4Gene was sold as open-box and came in an ESD bag. White cardboard not-original box. BFD though, i knew what I was getting into, and it worked fine.

Well, my baby runs, which is a good thing :) If CPUs come with seals, I think MOBOs should come with seals as well!

Well, my baby runs, which is a good thing :) If CPUs come with seals, I think MOBOs should come with seals as well!

They used to. I think Asus is going away from it. Other brands still do (Gigabyte and MSI among others).

I got a new asrock Z87 OC and it was not sealed, not even in an antistatic bag...

Back