Do MFT's just disappear.

CptFalcon

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
2,012
Ok, the story goes is that today my brother got home from school and turned on his PC. He played a couple games, went onto the net, yada yada yada yada. And he decides that today he would defrag his two hard disks. He told me that when he analyzed he OS HD his MFT was gone! Now, he uses Ultimate Defrag and so far it has served him well but now it's been getting a little wonky. The first unusual sign was when in the HD where he keeps his games and PF a small green cluster appeared on his HD. We both thought that it was a glitch since one of the HD is a SATA-2 (Games) and the other is a regular ATA-133 (OS) and that maybe the program thought that there was something there that wasn't. However now we are really spooked since the MFT has essentially disappeared from the program. Now the MFT hasn't disappeared from the SATA-2 drive. Here's my Bro's specs:

Windows XP Pro
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHz
Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS Socket 939
WDC ATA-133 7200RPM 80GB HD (OS)
WDC SATA-2 7200RPM 160GB (Games)
HP 740i DVD Burner with newest firmware
EVGA 7900GS
Creative Soundblaster Audigy SZ

It is my old machine that I decided to give to my brother. Can anyone figure out if this is normal or do I have to tell my brother that his PC is dying and time to get a new one?
 
Bumping every ten minutes (or even six!) won't get you any more answers than not bumping at all. This forum isn't so busy that your post is off the front page in 6 minutes.

Can you access the files on the drive? Are they corrupt or doing okay? I can believe a defragger could nuke your filesystem, but it's pretty all-or-nothing with this kind of thing.
 
Bumping every ten minutes (or even six!) won't get you any more answers than not bumping at all. This forum isn't so busy that your post is off the front page in 6 minutes.

Can you access the files on the drive? Are they corrupt or doing okay? I can believe a defragger could nuke your filesystem, but it's pretty all-or-nothing with this kind of thing.

Your right. Im sorry for acting like a baby, however though it was the FIRST system I ever built so I knida consider it my own baby.

Yes I can access the files on the system, it even boots into windows just fine. However though, this defrag acts kinda wierd.
 
I'd make a backup and format the drive if you have the space for it. chkdsk may confirm or deny that the MFT is broken, but if it's broken it'll almost certainly wipe the rest of the disk.
 
I'd make a backup and format the drive if you have the space for it. chkdsk may confirm or deny that the MFT is broken, but if it's broken it'll almost certainly wipe the rest of the disk.

Just ran it now. It says that all the files are a ok! I even tried the SMART tools and even that says that they are ok.
 
Never mind. We found after all. It managed to condense itself and off load itself to the other HD. How it happened I have no idea but it is still there.
 
However though I have never had this happen to me before Has this happened to anyone else before?
 
Back
Top