Do MBP's resell well?

Hey guys,
Do penryn MBP's resell well? Will they after the rumored refresh around the corner? My old laptop just isn't cutting it for school anymore and I need something pretty soon. I'm taking classes year-round so I don't really have the luxury of summer deals. I don't need anything crazy, just doing schoolwork and some photoshop/dreamweaver.

If I got an MBP now, would they still be worth something in the fall? Think I'd be able to get rid of it and purchase whatever new refresh is out for less than $400? I see powerbook G4's on ebay for $700 still, so maybe I found my own answer...

Thanks for the info

Mac's hold their value extremely well compared to PC's, no question about that.... You wouldn't lose a whole lot if you bought one and decided to sell it.

Used Macs are like used DSLR cameras. they hold their resale value very well.

for example: I bought a 2.4 17" MBP last year for like $3000 and I sold it like three months later for something like $2700. taking a $300 loss wasn't nothing when you're talking $3K.

then, I bought a 13" MacBook for like $1500 and I sold it like three months later for $1250. again, taking a $250 loss isn't jack.

Wow, thanks for the info ozziegn.

Did you use ebay to sell them? Is that the best way to get rid of a mac?

bought a powerbook 4 years ago for around 3k

sold in january for 1k..along with a few accessories (mouse, case, keyboard, ms office)

I got many offers of 1800 on my base MBP that I paid 2200 for... After a year of using it ;)

Used MBPs sell very well on eBay. Buyers there aren't too savvy when it comes to hardware knowledge. ;)

Camera bodies don't hold their value very well when the new models come out. Lenses always hold their value.

I bought the D200 last year for about 1,600, and a month after the D300 came out, you could get a D200 for $900 easily. A friend who worked at a chain camera store allowed me to trade in my D200 for store credit, so I just upgraded for cheaply, I lucked out.

I've heard of a lot of people buying new Macs every year and selling the old ones on eBay. They don't depreciate all that much. I remember looking for a Mac Mini on eBay a couple of years ago, and the used ones were only like 20% cheaper than new ones. It's pretty crazy, since I'm used to buying video cards for PC which depreciate about 50% in one month.

I might end up doing that if I really like this MBP, I mean why not? Buying a new one every year and selling the old one will still be a lot cheaper than the money I was pouring into my (now dismantled) desktop PC, may it rest in peace. :p

This works even better if you always go for the base model, it depreciates less.

for example: I bought a 2.4 17" MBP last year for like $3000 and I sold it like three months later for something like $2700. taking a $300 loss wasn't nothing when you're talking $3K.

then, I bought a 13" MacBook for like $1500 and I sold it like three months later for $1250. again, taking a $250 loss isn't jack.

Well, 300$ loss is about as much as Apple goes down on refurbished versions of their latest models, so you got really lucky finding someone to give that much for a real used one.

Still, Macs hold value way better then regular PCs.

Wow, thanks for the info ozziegn.

Did you use ebay to sell them? Is that the best way to get rid of a mac?

actually no, I'd never use ebay to sell such high end items because they'd rape me in ebay/Paypal fees.

I always use Craigslist for all my laptop selling needs. It's free and local which means I usually end up selling my stuff pretty quickly with minimal losses.

actually no, I'd never use ebay to sell such high end items because they'd rape me in ebay/Paypal fees.

I always use Craigslist for all my laptop selling needs. It's free and local which means I usually end up selling my stuff pretty quickly with minimal losses.

+1 for this.

I actually bought my MBP on eBay in January. It was brand new, unopened, unregistered... and only $1650 shipped. I spent a couple of weeks going through eBay's MBP listings hoping to find a really good deal. My persistence was rewarded when I found a guy in Texas selling an MBP for that unbelievable price. He said it was a Christmas present, but needed the $$ and already had a laptop from work. Mr. Wolf was very happy when his new MBP was delivered. :D

I've sold lots of laptops (including a white MacBook) on eBay. Never had a problem. eBay and PayPal fees can be offset with a little creativity in pricing/shipping. Just don't go overboard with it. ;)

Back