Do LCD's make you HOT?

Liekomg

Limp Gawd
And i'm serious! What I mean is, the light coming out of the screen from LCD's seems to be warm, so much so that it feels like my face is getting warm while i'm working on the screen. I know my CRT doesn't do this. Is this common for anyone else, because its a bit annoying, especially in the summer months.

Note, i'm not talking about the heat of the backlight coming out the vents in the back. I mean the actual light coming out the front of the screen is warm. At times it feels like i'm getting a suntan when using my LCD. My CRT's screen on the other hand is always cool to the touch.

I had a Dell 2405 for a while and I noticed this right way. It radiates heat of the front of the screen like a lightbulb, something CRT does not do.

Thats wierd im putting my hand right in front of mine and notice no heat coming out at all. Ive got a gateway fpd2185w

crt monitors have glass fronts. lcds have plastic fronts. crts use a gun to illuminate situated in the rear of the display. lcds are a sandwitch with the backlight closer to the front.

Could be the UV radiation that the backlight gives off. None of mine do that, but they're all Samsung and Sony mostly.

ATC9001 said:
Just got the third one the other day. I have to remake my ultra complex mounting bracket (aka a 2x4) so I can have the 2405 flush against the wall and the 2 2001 wings be semetrical...kinda wierd to crane my head all the way to the right when I'm normaly looking almost between the 2 on the left (which is what I used to use)

wow this makes...absolutely no sense in this thread.

to the op: I got my first lcd a while back and dont feel any heat. maybe you are sensitive in some way which is giving the illusion of heat? Perhaps the generally too bright lcd screen is causing your brain to scream "heat!". I dont know, its very wierd, but lcds are essentially emission free.

LCD screens use powerful backlights projected towards you like a lamp so yes they generate quite a lot of heat compared to a CRT screen.

larken said:
LCD screens use powerful backlights projected towards you like a lamp so yes they generate quite a lot of heat compared to a CRT screen.
plus lcds can use different types of backlights like incadescent bulbs, leds, cclfs, or elps. i would think the led is the most efficient.

if I take two fingers and touch the front of my lcd with the back of the two fingers I feel heat on both my viewsonic and the acer

Hmmm, I don't notice any heat coming from my LCD, although thats prolly cause I sit 2 feet away from it, its only a 19' though.

I feel the heat comming off my 3 year old ViewSonic. It's not enough to be bothersome but it is certantly noticable, espeically if you put your hand close to it. There is almost no heat comming off the vents in the back. It has always been this way, no troubles.

Liekomg said:
And i'm serious! What I mean is, the light coming out of the screen from LCD's seems to be warm, so much so that it feels like my face is getting warm while i'm working on the screen. I know my CRT doesn't do this. Is this common for anyone else, because its a bit annoying, especially in the summer months.

Note, i'm not talking about the heat of the backlight coming out the vents in the back. I mean the actual light coming out the front of the screen is warm. At times it feels like i'm getting a suntan when using my LCD. My CRT's screen on the other hand is always cool to the touch.

Yea I noticed this fairly quickly on my 2001FP LCD when I had one , The screen itself was very warm and emits heat to the point I felt it on my face , my CRT doesnt do this in fact the glass / screen is cool to the touch right now and its been on all day.

mathesar said:
Yea I noticed this fairly quickly on my 2001FP LCD when I had one , The screen itself was very warm and emits heat to the point I felt it on my face , my CRT doesnt do this in fact the glass / screen is cool to the touch right now and its been on all day.

Yep, exactly what I was referring to. I wouldn't really label it as uncomfortable, but its certainly there. After using the LCD for a few hours I can start to feel the heat build up on my face.

Back