• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Do large displays hamper competitive fps-type gaming?

licuo

n00b
Joined
Aug 22, 2007
Messages
26
Considering all the other threads in this forum, this one might be a bit out of the way. But anyways, here it goes:

I was thinking to upgrade my 17" pva-type TFT because it shows significant ghosting in titles like Call of Duty 4 and other fast paced fps games. Naturally, I started looking at he big display models. I guess it is well known that a large screen paired with a high end GPU will give you a much more immersible gaming experience. However, I also frequently play fps games on online leagues, such as for example esl. In this situation I dont really care about immersive gameplay. I care about quick reaction and fast spotting of hidden or fast moving opponents. Newer models like he IIyama B2403WS are fast, so no problem here. But what about spotting opponents? A large screen means that my eyes have to scan a larger area, right? Wouldn't that slow me down? Anybody here playing on this kind of level - probably... So what is your experience? Does your big screen make you spot and shoot opponents easily? What about distance to the screen? Or I am I just a paranoid moron? :D
 
Why don't you just get a crt, someone would probably give one to you. Try to get a trinitron or a diamondtron.
 
Sit farther away so the screen occupies the same percentage of your field of view. Would also reduce the color shifting of TN panels if you go that route for minimum input lag.

Do note however that your peripheral vision is much better adapted for spotting moving objects, especially at low contrast. A larger screen may be a benefit ;)
 
hmm, i could try to borrow a large screen. however, i just realized, that probably, it doesnt even matter. my clan and I are so bad at playing fps that i could as well play it on a big screen with all the gimics to at least enjoy the graphics galore :)
 
If you go for a huge screen... then it might hamper your game reaction a bit IF you sit close since you have to really turn your head to see the corners. Where as you only need to move your eyes on screens that are smaller that it fits within your view. I tried playing Crysis a bit and that's how I felt. I'll let you know more by tomorrow. My buddies and I are suppose to play some BF2 tonight. Gonna test out my new display in fast paced scenarios. :D
 
it might hamper your game reaction a bit IF you sit close since you have to really turn your head to see the corners. Where as you only need to move your eyes on screens that are smaller that it fits within your view.

I guess his is my main concern. Since my desk is kind of narrow i would have to come up with a wall mount or a new desk to move a 24", say 80cm away from my face.
 
Back
Top