Do Lan Parties happen any more?

n0ob3r

Weaksauce
Hello All,
In High school, I use to go to and host LAN Parties.

Do these things happen any more for those on this forum?

chameleoneel

2[H]4U
Hello All,
In High school, I use to go to and host LAN Parties.

Do these things happen any more for those on this forum?
Classic LAN parties can be tough, because many games no longer offer the option. You can all get in a room together.....but, you will likely be otherwise playing online. That said, there are still some games which support it.

Also, Fighting Games are popular right now. Its likely there is a local FGC* club, if you live in/near a proper city.

*FGC = Fighting Game Community

n0ob3r

Weaksauce
Its true. Long gone are the days where we all had to drag our full towers and CRT monitors across town to get a decent ping =).

Believe it or not, this is the first time I have heard of a FGC. I will have to look into that.

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
Try to do every weekend, usually stardew valley, if we're not doin dnd. That said, it's tough when you also have to take care of two-three kids.

chameleoneel

2[H]4U
Its true. Long gone are the days where we all had to drag our full towers and CRT monitors across town to get a decent ping =).

Believe it or not, this is the first time I have heard of a FGC. I will have to look into that.
If you aren't really playing any fighters, but want to: find out about your local FGC groups and which games are popular locally. And then pick one of those games.

If you are picky or are already playing a favorite fighter----it can be tough, if your local FGC groups aren't' really playing that game. A big example would be Soulcalibur 6. For whatever reason, that game is generally more popular on the East coast. West coast, it can be tough to find consistent groups for SC6.

Some of the other most popular fighters are Tekken 7, Smash Bros., Under Night In Birth, Street Fighter 5. And a new Guilty Gear releases pretty soon. There ought to be a surge for that game.

Tekken, Street Fighter, and Smash Bros. are likely to have local groups in most major areas. Everything else is a big YMMV.

dthree

n00b
Same.. i used to host'em.. doom 2/quake/warcraft 2 etc.. but doubt people are doing lan parties like they used to lol

sabrewolf732

Supreme [H]ardness
A couple friends and I will get together sometimes and bring setups but we just end up playing online together in the same room. Its fun to drink and eat and talk shit together though

n0ob3r

Weaksauce
A couple friends and I will get together sometimes and bring setups but we just end up playing online together in the same room. Its fun to drink and eat and talk shit together though
It use to be for the low latency and network performance, now you can get that where ever you are as long as you have broad band. However, you can never replace gaming in the same room as other people and the fun that is had with that. =)

Westwood

Supreme [H]ardness
Yea, I really miss those days. We'd pay $20 for a "lock in" and game all night at out local center once a month. There had to be twenty of us. Pizza place right next door. They'd pound on the wall to let us know food was ready.

Those were incredible times. I often thought it'd be neat to buy a building here and open something up, but like others have said, it seems those days are over.

sharknice

2[H]4U
I haven't the past year because of obvious reasons, but normally yes.

I have a couple groups that do PC LANs several times a year.
I also actually have a group that do original Xbox Halo CE LANs with CRTs. We don't haul them over there though, a guy has a guest house and we just keep them all there. I only go once a year or so but they do them almost monthly.

mvmiller12

[H]ard|Gawd
We've had an annual LAN party for the last 20+ years (until last year - last year broke the chain). We do it the week of July 4. 24x7 gaming all week long.

As far as games being "online" vs LAN - that's just networking. Who cares? The important part is we're all together in close proximity, taunting each other.

Armenius

Fully [H]
It use to be for the low latency and network performance, now you can get that where ever you are as long as you have broad band. However, you can never replace gaming in the same room as other people and the fun that is had with that. =)
You can get 1-2ms latency on a LAN. Show me a game where you can get that kind of latency over the internet. 100-150ms lag is somehow considered "good" these days.

Reactions: maro
like this

maro

Gawd
I had the most awful case that had a handle built-in just for carrying around, peppered with surf/watersports/auto stickers. It is probably the computer equivalent to having a mullet haircut in the 90's. Caught a lot of grief over that case, but it had a handle for easy carrying!

... good times...

n0ob3r

Weaksauce
I had the most awful case that had a handle built-in just for carrying around, peppered with surf/watersports/auto stickers. It is probably the computer equivalent to having a mullet haircut in the 90's. Caught a lot of grief over that case, but it had a handle for easy carrying!

... good times...
Hahhaha, I laughed at this.

Perhaps there should be a Hard Forum Lan party in the future..... =)