Do I trust these temps?

ho72

Weaksauce
4400+ X2 idles at ~43 and hits ~61 under load, according to Speedfan and Everest. Swapped the old style, 2 pipe OEM heatsink for the new AMD 4 pipe design. Applied AS5 correctly. No change. Slapped on this larger fan. No change.

I'm wondering how reliable my temp sensor is. The ambient reading given by Speedfan is typically 29-30 or higher, but I put a remote temp probe in the case (near the passively cooled NB chipset) and I get ~25, which is about 3 degrees over my room temp. Airflow through my P180 case is good, and the exhaust air is only slightly warm under dual instances of Prime95. Under load, the pipes on the heatsink are warm but not hot.

Any thoughts?

There are some that just simply run hotter than others, although 61c is really getting up there. Have you checked your maxtcase of the cpu? If youve got a 71c I really wouldnt worry too much if its stable.

How much voltage are you giving it?

That's pretty hot and I think the max temp these are rated at is 65c so you don't wanna go above that.

If you've got another 939 board you could try it in that and see how the temps are.

Stock voltage.

I have neither another board nor another processor so I really don't have any way to compare.

Are you using an extremely small amount of AS5, and spreading it evenly with a razor blabe? Remenber AS5 takes a while to 'burn in' and become its most effective, but if those are accurate temps they are high. For comparison i have a 4400+ under a Scythe Ninja with 2 slow-spinning 120mm fans on it (sandwich style), and it never goes over 48C in a very quiet case.

Easy, if you've got the AS5 to burn, replace the old HSF unit. What are your temps there? If they change/go up/down we might be able to better diagnose this problem.

You say speedfan's telling you your case temps are much higher than what a temperature probe is telling you? Seems like a mobo sensor problem.

OH and PS, I've installed *lots* of HSF units, and the only ones that benefit from the "thin layer of AS5 with a razor blade" technique were the open core models. A rice-grain sized piece in the middle of your IHS is what I do, and I get equally nice temps.

Back