Do I Really need a Sound Card?

Depends what you have connected to it.
If you have some horrible cheap set of speakers or headphones then no, not worth it really unless you want more channels or EAX etc

However if you have a decent pair of headphones or speakers then my god can you (i can) tell the difference with a pricey sound card.

But you are then forced into buying a decent ~$100+ heaphones to gain the benefit. So we are speaking of $200+ in just audio here. Again the question is, Is it worth it for the average user? Gamer? What about for movies?

its a matter of opinion, no one but you can determine if its worth it to you. For me its not, I use onboard sound to power my speakers and my headphones are USB.

I always wondered about the USB headphones. I have a decent older pair I should plug in and check out.

Well, for me personally, I use the Optical S/PDIF out to go to my Logitech Z-5500s, so I really don't see the point in buying a dedicated sound card when it's pushing digital data anyways. I do have a PCI E-MU 1212M that I use if I need to do pro recording though (not used as much any more, though that may change).

If you have to ask then no is the answer.
Avoid the whole money spending addiction that audio quality can so easily become.

Average user? No. My pops could care less. To a gamer? YES!

Xi-Fi Gamer and some HD555's would run you a 150 dollars? To ME, that is 100% worth it.

Back