• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Do I need Water-cooling for this?

Tunasam

n00b
Joined
Jun 28, 2005
Messages
37
Please give this thread a read:

Do I need watercooling in this rig to do what I want?

System:
Antec P180 Case
http://www.antec.com/pdf/drawings/P180_manual_techdata.pdf
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
Antec TruePowerII 550W PSU
AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
2 x 1Gig Corsair DDR 400
Maxtor DiamondMax 300GB HD
SB Audigy Sound Card
Standard DVD-RW
and my pride and joy BFG 7800GTX

Now take a look at this article (it's why I bought the X2 4200+):
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2452

THe X2 easily OC's to 4800+ speeds and beyond.

With this case, what are my options? I dont mind dropping another 200 dollars on a watercooling setup and never have to worry about overheating and noise again.

Or should I just replace the 120MM's in the Antec P180 with Thermaltake Tornados and get a hefty HSF for the CPU. Think that would be enough to OC the 4200+ and keep the entire system cool?

Let me know what you all think... Id appreciate it :)

-Tuna
 
Well if you do a lot of reading on watercooling and are careful in setting one up, water cooling will be worth it for your system. This is especially applicable to your case as you intend on overclocking it. $200 should be an ample amount for setting up a decent watercooler. Read around, you will need a water pump (eheims are good), radiator (Black Ice Extreme 2) with 2 120mm quiet fans (thermaltake or Panaflo), waterblock for the cpu (Dangerden's rbx or tdx are very good), perhaps waterblock for the northbridge, and water reservoir. There are other alternatives but I listed some of the more popular parts that I know. Read up on whatever people like to use. There are more qualified people than me at this so you should have a field day in advices. Go to overclockers.com and check on their review section on the watercooling subsection. Then go to the forsale section here or at anandtech's forsale forum and take your pick. $200 should give you a very decent watercooling system that way.
Good luck.
 
built my system for $275 with gpu block
dd d5, double heater core, res, dd tdx, dd maze4
 
follow the second poster's setup!!!

DD = Danger Den ( www.dangerdenstore.com )

black ice extreme will cost you too much, get the heatercore rad (from DD. Also, get a shroud with it). Don't get NB cooling (not worth it). With a 7800 you will probably want to watercool it for some REALLY awesome graphics/OC. Get a Maze4 gpu block. TDX cpu block. 5 1/4 bay reservoir. the DD d5 is a really good pump, and if you get it you can get the extra nozzles on the TDX, then use the #4 or #5 one to get better cooling. The 4&5 nozzles increase cooling power, but restrict the flow of your system more, so you need a powerful pump to work it all. The D5 is a powerful pump.


Don't forget tubing, clamps, water additive (MCT is free at DD with >$100 purchase. It's like $22 otherwise), and fans for your rad. Panaflos from newegg are good, but everything else that I have listed (everything!) can be found at DD, so if you want to only order from one place, then DD offers papst fans when you buy a rad from them, so get those.

Remember to pay attention to all the options on the different pages on DD, there is some pretty crucial stuff to decide on. Also, if you ever plan on SLI, get the low profile Maze4 block instead of the normal one. It's the same price, but SLI-proof. And get ramsinks.

There are probably more questions that you will need to get answers to, but I have to go out to lunch. TTYL.
 
Get watercooling. It can be done cheap and reduce noise as well as performance, if done right.
 
noise is kinda variable, i need to run my system pretty noisy.... not silent but far from tornado loud tho...i think the noise is the air moving lol
 
I just built my first H2O system and I could not be happier. Water cooling is easier than you think. The results are well worth the effort, especially if you are going to OC. Just head over to the water cooling forum and ask away. My prefrence is Aqua gear, but you will find that you have many options available to you.I have an FX-55 and it rarely hits 35C.
 
Back
Top