• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Do I need to worry about cooling?

maximilian

n00b
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Messages
16
Here's what I'm buying, and this is my first build:

Antec SLK1650B case with included 350W PSU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
ECS NForce4 939 Mobo (came packaged with the CPU, will replace it if I need to)
Sapphire X800GTO2
2x512MB Geil Value
NEC DL dvd burner
Hitachi 160GB SATA hdd

I'm not sure what my plans are yet for overclocking... I'm going to unlock the graphics card to be a X850XT, like everyone has been making a big deal about. I'll probably end up doing a mild overclock on the CPU, but I don't want to do anything that will put my equipment in danger -- I don't have the money to replace it. I'll need to do some reading since I've never overclocked anything before.

Will stock cooling be good enough for my system if it's mildly overclocked? What about for the video card? Do I need better cooling for it if I'm unlocking the extra pipelines and whatnot? If I do need cooling, some links would be helpful, since I'm not sure what to look for.
 
that's the first i've heard of that gto2 thing ... that is [H]ot


however,
IMHO it's worth the extra hundred bucks (320) for a 7800 gt
 
ya, i know this isnt what u asked, but i'd suggest a new psu. your equipment is expensive; dont skimp on the psu and possibly ruin it. especially if you're going to oc some, psu is important. i'd say something like the xclio 450w would be good (~$55 at newegg) if you want to keep it as low budget as possible.
 
uhh... are you sure its on correctly?

and if you want something better than the zalmans, the xp-90's + a good fan (usually paired w/ a 92mm panaflo) combo is good.
 
should be alright, juss make sure that the case airflow is sufficient and mod ur case a bit to do so, i dont think the 80mm intake would be enough
 
_Korruption_ said:
I'd only be worried if the 350W PSU was not a SmartPower 2.0 350W model.

It is.

Soymilk said:
ya, i know this isnt what u asked, but i'd suggest a new psu. your equipment is expensive; dont skimp on the psu and possibly ruin it. especially if you're going to oc some, psu is important. i'd say something like the xclio 450w would be good (~$55 at newegg) if you want to keep it as low budget as possible.

I read that Antec PSU's were quality units... That's why I bought the antec case, to save some money. If the PSU fails on me, will it destroy my equipment? If so, I'll definitely invest in another PSU, but I thought it should be sufficient.

paulmr said:
why go stock... buy a zalman HSF

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118118

then you don't have to worry to much about coolling issues on a mild OC

Because if stock cooling is good enough for my purposes, then there's no reason to spend any more :p

N H O said:
should be alright, juss make sure that the case airflow is sufficient and mod ur case a bit to do so, i dont think the 80mm intake would be enough

How would I go about modding my case? What exactly does that entail? Sorry, new to this whole thing.
 
the smartpower's probably good enough that it wont destroy ur stuff if it fails. some crappy psu's that come w/ cases (like rosewill cases or random stuff like that) will though.
 
maximilian said:
How would I go about modding my case? What exactly does that entail? Sorry, new to this whole thing.
get creative and think of ways to add to the cooling (cut a vent in the lower front panel for a better intake and/or add a 120mm fan over the front 80mm by cutting a hole for it)
 
Back
Top