Do i need to use memtest86 for this?

mtbaird

Gawd
im running at 5:4 ratio which makes the ram still 200mhz and running at a normal speed

just my 2.4C is clocked to 250mhz FSB

i dont need to run memtest to check the ram right? that would only be if it was OCed at all correct?

Hmm .. 12x250 = 3000. Come on man! You can do more than that! 3.2, 3.4, 3.6, hell 3.7 may just be possible! :)

Hehe, I'd say no. I'm running my PC3500 (rated: DDR433 2.5-3-3-7 timings) at 370mhz w/ 2-3-3-7 timings and I passed memtest86 with flying colors. So I'd say no. But it never hurts to find any problems early. I wish I had a 2.4C, so I could get 433mhz w/ 1:1 ratio (I'm at 5:4).

But let's all just hope/pray the Prescott 2.4C will be just as good'a overclocker as the non-pressy. Booyah? Booyah!

I would run it anyway just to test the core stability of the system. I got lazy the last system I built and didnt run it.

And I kept having problems with this CPU that I knew was good up to about 3.05Ghz.... I kept having stability problems and I thought it was something to do with the new system that I put the CPU in (PSU, only retail HSF cooler, not proper case ventilation, etc.)

Turns out one of the sticks of ram was bad. And I was checking everything else 1st.... finally I ran memtest at non-overclocked speeds after testing just about everything else. And found the problem. So its getting RMA'd

But it took me hours to figure out since the memory wasnt even close to being pushed, I tested it last.

Originally posted by Spidey329
Hmm .. 12x250 = 3000. Come on man! You can do more than that! 3.2, 3.4, 3.6, hell 3.7 may just be possible! :)

Hehe, I'd say no. I'm running my PC3500 (rated: DDR433 2.5-3-3-7 timings) at 370mhz w/ 2-3-3-7 timings and I passed memtest86 with flying colors. So I'd say no. But it never hurts to find any problems early. I wish I had a 2.4C, so I could get 433mhz w/ 1:1 ratio (I'm at 5:4).

But let's all just hope/pray the Prescott 2.4C will be just as good'a overclocker as the non-pressy. Booyah? Booyah!

my temps are already pretty high and my ram cant take much OCing

Aren't you supposed to run both MemTest86 and Gold Memory for several hours on all your memory, whether you overclock or not? One time, with some non-overclocked memory, MemTest86 took 3-4 hours before finding any errors, but it did this every time. Gold Memory found them in a couple of minutes. But more recently, Gold found no problems while MemTest86 reported gobs of them.
The memory I used was PC2100 Kingston ValueRam and RK-Byte.

Back