Do i need to use a silver coil?

rjolin01

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a water loop going that has a copper rasa cpu block, a ek nickel full board block, and 3x gtx470 nickel blocks. i am using Feser One UV Blue coolant. It says has corrosion inhibitors and work with mix metal loops. I also have a silver coil. What I was wondering is the coil something i should use? I know its for microbes and what not but I wasnt sure if the silver was to much variety of metal for the loop?

Don't use silver it will cause your nickle blocks to flake! :insertEKsarcasmhere:

Though I don't agree with pre-mix coolants being used for a few reasons, you should not run into any problems. I say should because EK lately has had nickle plating problems, some of which they are vaguely blaming on kill coils, but it's also happening with people using feser coolant, etc, Who knows what your blocks are actually doing right now, might be worth taking a look at them to see if there's any of the flaking / corrosion going on before that starts to junk up your pump.

For reference:

EK statement:
http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/1035356-official-ek-statement-nickel-plating-issues.html

I havent used them yet and 2 i bought used. working with the original owner to rma them so i get new ones.

I have a 6990 in all Acetel from EK. I have no clue what the waterblock has internally. It is the Powercolor AX6990LCS model. Please let me know if a silver coil is safe for that block.

Thanks.

silver and nickle are right next to each other (and pretty high above copper) on the galvanic table. if anything would be corroding, it would be the copper parts over the nickle or silver parts. someone at EK is just completely making shit up now.

I have a 6990 in all Acetel from EK. I have no clue what the waterblock has internally. It is the Powercolor AX6990LCS model. Please let me know if a silver coil is safe for that block.

Thanks.

If there is any metal part you can see, check the color. If it's silver, it's nickel plated. If it's a light brownish color, it's not nickel plated.

Back