Do I need to upgrade now?

silents

n00b
I'm planning to an upgrade to my rig, and I don't mind waiting a few months. But with the new Video coming out, it is very tempting to upgrade that now and upgrade the rest later. I'm just wondering if that is possible with my current rig. If not, what do I need to do or do I need a whole new build. These are the questions I have below.

1)Does PSU have enough power or right connectors the new GTX 3080?
2) Is my mobo able to support it until AMD next desktop gen comes out around next yeah.. Whatever the next 3900XT is.
3) Is there even a point to wait for the next AMD Big Navi GPU since my LG C9 doesn't support Freesync and only G-Sync?

Current setup
mobo = ASUS Z87-PRO (PCIe 3.0 GEN3)
GPU = Geforce 1070
Ram = 32 gig of something
CPU = i7-4770K
display = LG C9, a couple of Qnix QX2710
PSU= Cosair HX 750
HD = 1 gig SSD sata samsung evo 860

The Nvidia reference cards will come with an adapter to use common dual 8-pin PSU connectors. Non-reference designs may use it or stick with the older connectors. PSU manufacturers will probably offer replacement modular cables with the new connector.

A quality 750 W PSU (I think the HX qualifies, bot sure who the OEM is or how it reviewed) is plenty for the RTX3080 in a mainstream desktop system.

Given that your 4k display is G-Sync and not FreeSync, there's no point going AMD if variable refresh is at all important to you.

Back